“Fantastic holiday” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Oakhurst
Netherlands
“Fantastic holiday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2008

We've just returned from an incredible stay at the Chateau. We stayed in the Rosehip room which was absolutely beautiful and so well presented. The staff were amazing and attended to our every need dilligently. Lucy, the General Manager, made sure we went on all the best hiking routes and gave us so many helpful tips about where to go in Yosemite. The place is so great; we can't wait to go back again really soon.

• Liked — Stunning location
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank IdlewildNetherlands

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
ny
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2008

I am suprised by all of the overwhelmingly positive reviews of the Chateau. First, its location is very unfortunate. It's 90 minutes from Yosemite so if you plan on doing hiking or sightseeing in the park it's not convenient. Plus, it's located in Oakhurst, CA which is by no means a quaint or charming town. In fact, when you drive out of the Chateau you can see the big yellow M for McDonalds. The town is chock full of chain restaurants/hotels so if you don't eat at the Elderberry House (which we didn't) there's really nowhere else decent to go. The staff is very attentive so if you're into be waited on hand and foot, then you may feel right at home. We, however, thought it was a bit invasive. We also had a very weird, inappropriate exchange with one of the staff members. There just seemed to be a little something off about all of the people who work there. We felt that they tried to push their Elderberry House restaurant on us and made us feel guilty for not trying it out. The grounds are nice as are the rooms but the pool was disappointing as it's very small and there really isn't much to do on the property. We really wanted to like this place but just felt that it was trying too hard.

• Liked — rooms were nice
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank tobey29
st louis mo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2008

I had read about the Chateau and from the reviews I expected excellence, but our experience surpassed all expectations!
We visited there after a few days at Yosemite and were looking forward to some pampering...everything about our stay from the room to service, food and the SPA was unbelievable. We have stayed at luxurious places all over the world and the Chateau compares favorably with the best that Europe has to offer. We hope to return someday - if you get a chance to stay here don't pass up the opportunity - you won't regret it!

• Liked — The spa was absolute heaven - but the room was great, too!
  • Disliked — Nothing - it was wonderful!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank stltraveling
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2008

The Chateau du Sureau may be expensive, but it is worth every penny. Beautiful hotel, oustanding service, and fantastic food-especially the breakfast. Perfect after a day at Yosemite. I can't wait to return. Enjoy!

• Liked — service, decor, and food
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
St Paul, MN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2008

Let me start off by saying that I am not a B and B person. I much prefer the anonymity of larger hotels. I chose Chateau du Sureau because I have wanted to dine at Erna Elderberry's for many years, and there are no other comparable lodging options in the area.

The drive from San Francisco was tiring -- traffic, curvy switchback roads, although very beautiful once through the Central Valley. I arrived a bit before check in time, and as other reviewers have noted, someone was there to take my luggage and park my car. Another staff person showed me around the chateau and then took me to my room. First impressions of the Chamomile room -- it was not as nice as it looked in the pictures on the website. It was a bit small, with the bed dominating the room. The carpets seemed worn -- I wished that things sparkled a bit more. The bath was good, but not as nice as the Rosehip room on the first floor. Shortly after arriving, someone came up with some iced tea and snacks; there was also a little bundt cake and some fresh cookies in the room. Thumbs up for the free wireless internet access at the property.

I had less than an hour before a facial appointment, so I thought I'd go sit down by the pool. Unfortunately, there were only three lounge chairs, two of them taken and the third right next to someone else. So I walked over to the spa to check it out. It is amazing! Very quiet, plush, and serene. My service started with a foot bath, which was nice. The facial itself was perhaps the best I have ever had, and it was a bargain to boot for 90 minutes of total pampering.

Unfortunately, the extra 30 minutes for the facial took me past my dinner reservation and I had to rush to dress. it was no problem for the restaurant; there was only one other table occupied at 5:45 pm. I had a fantastic meal at Erna Elderberry's, but it was unfortunately marred by a mix up with one of the waiters, who, despite my clearly stated preferences for NO ALCOHOL, served me a sparkling wine rather than the non-alcoholic alternative. I have not had a drop of alcohol in many, many years, and so my reaction to the first sip was, wow, this is tart sparking cider. After the second sip and I asked the waiter if he was sure this was the non-alcoholic version, and he said yes. After the third sip, I was certain I was drinking alcohol, and about that time the waiter came back and apologized, saying, that yes, it was the sparkling wine. I almost burst into tears, but chose not to make a scene. Both the maitre'd and the owner apologized, but it felt perfunctory, as if this mistake was no big deal. I did enjoy the rest of the meal very much.

Although the chateau was full, I heard no noise overnight or in the morning. I had some trouble controlling the temperature in the room. Perhaps the heat was not working in June. I have to say that the bed and the linens were the finest I have ever had the pleasure of sleeping in. Super soft, silky, and the duvet was like cloud.

The next morning I wanted to take a bath but the tub didn't look very inviting. It is a large oval with slanted sides that you need to climb into, over a sliding shower door. So I took a shower instead.

Breakfast was a little heavy for my taste, especially after the rich meal the night before. I wish I had known what was going to be served so that I could ask for substitutions. Dishes were described as they were served, but not beforehand.

I found the service from the staff to be perfect. Not any more intrusive than any other B and B. I also appreciated the service charge that alleviated the need for tipping during my stay.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay at the Chateau du Sureau, but I would not go back, mostly because I have now seen Yosemite three times and the trek to get there is too exhausting. My recommendation would be to get the best room available, bring a hearty appetite, and enjoy the wonderful service. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be totally pampered in truly awesome surroundings.

• Liked — The bed, sheets, and duvet
  • Disliked — Cramped room that seemed a bit worn
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank Spacrawler
Huntersville, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2008

My wife and I spent 6 nights/5 days at this wonderful place.
While the inn itself was spectacular both inside and out (French decor throughout the inside and lovely gardens and a fountain outside), the most incredible aspect was the service....far and away the best service we have ever received, anywhere! The staff truly catered to our every need and desire, greeting us upon each new arrival and asking what they could do for us (or bring to us in our room).
The restaurant staff at the adjoining Erna's Elderberry House was equally as accomodating (and the food was delicious).
The Chateau overlooks Oakhurst, CA (a town of approximately 13,000) and is 16 miles south of the southern entrance to Yosemite National Park (and 45 miles north of Fresno).
We hope we have an opportunity to return to Chateau du Sureau some day and we highly recommend it!

Monica and Jimmy Burke

• Liked — The service and the friendliness of the staff.
  • Disliked — There is NO "least", everything was great!
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LSkynyrd
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2008

Yosemite National Park is an amazing place but what really made our stay there memorable was the hospitality we received at Chateau du Sureau. The hostess was Lucy and she was helpful above the normal call of duty. We hope that we are lucky enough to get back there again as there is so much to see and do in the area. We felt like we were treated like royalty by all the staff. Every small detail was taken care of for us.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank Edithvallians
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakhurst
BEST WESTERN PLUS Yosemite Gateway Inn
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,610 reviews

Been to Chateau du Sureau? Share your experiences!