“Another "Bucket List" place checked off!”
Review of Chateau du Sureau

Chateau du Sureau
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Oakhurst
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My husband and I just celebrated our 27th wedding anniversary at the Chateau du Sureau, and now we know why it is listed in the book, "1000 Places to see before you die." We stayed two nights - Friday night was "just the room" which does come with breakfast, and Saturday night "Full Board."

We are extremely grateful for Erna's dog friendly policy, as we are happiest with our pretty little Molly.

I selected The Elderberry Room, and I'm glad I did because we believe it has the best views - both of the magnificent property as well as expansive views of the mountains. This room is simply gorgeous, it is just perfect and lovely in every way. It has a balcony which the website description didn't mention. It doesn't have a TV but the strong WiFi allowed my husband to watch the Sharks Hockey game on our iPad via Slingbox. The only thing that was missing was a log in the fire place, which I really wanted. The shower is excellent, and I was delighted with the L'Occitane products. The sheets and duvet are soft and wonderful.

The Chateau grounds are masterful - we loved the natural trail, the life-size chess set (though I wish it had been swept up for perfect photos), the koi pond, the swing set, and all the flowers.

On Saturday, the Chateau packed us a picnic lunch and we drove to the Nelder Grove, about 20 miles away, and walked the "Shadow of the Giants Interpretive Trail" - an easy one mile loop where you can walk right up to Giant Sequoias - then drove about 10 miles on the 6S90 "Difficult Road" (it wasn't really difficult) to the Lewis Creek Trail, walked the trail, then took Highway 41 back to the Chateau.

Our dinner at Erna's Elderberry House was fantastic! We did the wine pairings x 2, and the optional cheese course, and it was all so fantastic. Love, love, loved it all!

The staff at the Chateau are true professionals - very sweet, friendly, and helpful. I felt awful having to hand them the "dog business" bag"to throw away. I so wished there had been a little pale outside somewhere where I could have placed the dog business. But they were all so gracious.

Yes, this was an expensive weekend for sure, but I think you will agree too that the experience is worth the money. I wish I could post even more photos with this review!

Thank you, Erna and Team, for a wonderful weekend. And again, we are grateful we could experience Chateau du Sureau with our little girl, Molly.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Chateau du Sureau

Reviewed November 10, 2013

My wife and I first encountered Chateau du Sureau through its restaurant, The Elderberry House, in 2011. We were staying at a near-by b&b, had spent the day in Yosemite and were primed for a good dinner. We were not disappointed. I had called to make a reservation and when we arrived, 2 of the staff were waiting outside the door with menus for the evening with our names printed on them. The evening went uphill from there. We got information on the rooms and determined to stay there on our next trip to northern California which turned out to be this year. Our only regret was that we only planned for one night, something that will be remedied on our next trip. If you go, be sure to walk the little trail that is on the property. We were tipped about it from a store clerk in Mariposa the night before. A consideration on dinner is that the courses are pre-determined and are available on the web site each day. They will make individual accommodations, but we didn't need any. We chose the board with the room and board option, but probably won't make that choice next time. Also, the wine pairings are not included in the board option.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2013

What an extraordinarily delightful experience. We had planned to see Yosemite but the US Congress changed all that. However Erna, a proprietor with an extraordinary capacity for making her guests feel as if the Chateau is their home did her best to make our stay memorable none the less. A fourposter bed, beautiful bathroom and staff who catered to every whim What a treat. The restaurant served food and wine of the highest standard,but did not gouge in price terms, the spa was everything it promised to be and a bit more and thanks to Erna's advice we got to drive thru' Yosemite after all. We'll be back

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Hotel rooms are a bit old fashioned but well maintained. No TV in bedroom but large common living room downstairs with lots of books, games etc. Staff were so friendly and couldn't do more for you and really provided personal touch such as when they knew we were British they put a little Union Jack flag in our room and little messages on our pillow at night. For breakfast you get lovely homebaked pastries but then a strange cooked item. Location is good for visiting Yosemite and Bass Lake and has quite a lot of fast food places locally and great supermarket for putting together a picnic, also a really old cinema near by in which we were pratically the only people, so more choices than if staying in Yosemite itself. The hotel resturant has good food although service can be a bit slow. Free Wifi in rooms.

Reviewed October 4, 2013

This is one of only 52 5 star hotels in the US. It is a unique experience. From the valet at your
car to the 1200 thread count sheets, this is like nothing you have every seen at any other hotel.It is a once in a life time experience. The chateau is modeled after a French chateau -
which means castle. You are pampered and spoiled at every turn. They have a spa, which we didn't use and the restaurant on the property is one of the finest in the state of California.
If you have a special time coming up - anniversary or birthday - consider this hotel, you will
remember it for a very long time!

Room Tip: Only 10 rooms - all decorated differently. You can't go wrong
1  Thank wrldtrvlers
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We love our Christmas gifts every year, gift certificates for the Chateau and Erna's Elderberry house. Both seriously amazing adventures and experiences (see my past two reviews please). This time, our gift certificate was a bit different, it was for a spa treatment at Spa Sureau (right behind the Chateau) and a light lunch inside the Chateau. Of course, I was thrilled as our past two stay's at the Chateau were wonderful. This time, something lacked. It was the luster and sparkle that was lost.

We drove up to the gates, and were buzzed in with no one greeting us or letting us know what to do. I wasn't sure if we should enter the Chateau or go to the spa so we perused around for a bit then went to the spa a bit early to check in. This time our foot bath was done in the waiting area of the spa, not the treatment rooms. I prefer the spa treatment room but it was the same foot scrub either way. The music and decor are very welcoming and peaceful. We then changed into our robes, had our foot scrub and honey then proceeded to the treatment room. We had a couples massage. I had a 90 min Basalt Stone massage and my husband a Deep Tissue 90 min massage. Both of the massages were wonderful, the therapist's were professional and friendly. I didn't care for the Andrea Bocelli music that was playing during our relaxing treatment. I could not relax. It was really loud (which my therapist did turn down after the realized it) but since it had words, I knew the songs and was focused on that rather than my relaxation. The music in the reception area would have been a better choice in my mind rather than opera. When we were done, we changed into our clothes and had the lady who assisted us at the spa walk us over to the Chateau to start our lunch.

Lunch was very delicious and we had the house tea which was so yummy. Here, the staff was not like they usually are, overly welcoming, friendly, any thing is my pleasure sort of thing, it was just like you were at a restaurant. They were talking very loudly in the kitchen with each other, which I have never heard a peep out of them in there before. They took away our dishes when we finished and didn't say a word. Like, thanks, did you enjoy your stay, etc. Really odd. So we finally decided to get up and leave, I peeped my head in the kitchen to ask one of them about something that was on our gift card we didn't receive at the spa, and it was a prompt, "you need to go back to the spa for that". Just really odd, it turned us off. So we went to the spa, dealt with that and then left.

Needless to say, we loved the gift certificate and were very appreciative but I don't think we will be back to do this specific trip again. The stay in the Chateau, yes, because it has been wonderful but I left really sad and dissapointed since we have stayed here a few other times and there service was impeccable. Its just something you would except by being here, not something I want/need everywhere I go. It was still a wonderful time, just not up to my standards of this place to rate it as excellent this time.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank lovept
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is a great place to stay!
It is though far away from Yosemite !The rooms are great( small but very very nice)!
We loved the pool and the spa!
What did not really work was the service.........very very slow...... unfortunatelly !
We had dinner at their own Gault Millau Restaurant but were not really impressed !

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakhurst
Best Western Plus Yosemite Gateway Inn
Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite
The Pines Resort
The Pines Resort
#1 of 1 in Bass Lake

Been to Chateau du Sureau? Share your experiences!