“Erna's Makes Magic for Her Guests” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chateau du Sureau

Chateau du Sureau
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Oakhurst
San Francisco
“Erna's Makes Magic for Her Guests”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We are still euphoric three weeks after our magical one-night stay at Erna’s enchanted estate, which was memorable from start to finish. I had the good fortune to read about Chateau du Sureau in the book "1,000 Places to See Before You Die" while planning a fall trip to Yosemite. The Ahwahnee was our first choice for a splurge since it’s so well known. However, the more I read about it on Trip Advisor, the more I realized I didn’t want to stay in such a large, old, expensive lodge. Chateau du Sureau, though 16 miles outside the park, seemed like a perfect treat en route to Yosemite Valley for another three nights. (We quickly came back to Earth upon arrival at Yosemite Lodge!)

The Chateau is unique, a gable-roofed European castle that emerged from Erna’s sweet childhood memories and was built in 1991 with her true grit. Her villa meshes beautifully with her renowned restaurant, Erna’s Elderberry House, and Spa Sureau. Thus, guests are swaddled in luxury from head to toe. Friendly, attentive staff members are attuned to their guests’ every need. Rooms are large, immaculate and inviting, with large comfy beds, a writing desk, fireplace and a two-room bath loaded with fresh towels, bath salts, numerous emollients and other luxurious pleasures. Bottled water, cookies, truffles and wine are tucked around the room or make an appearance while you’re out. The attention to detail is awesome, down to your names being printed on the dinner menu. (Because Erna is in charge, the food is exceptional -- no surprise.) When you want to celebrate a special occasion, see how “the other half” lives and feel like a genuine VIP or King/Queen for a Stay, make a reservation at Chateau du Sureau. You’ll never forget it.

• 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank Mondo11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We booked hotels we found on the "Relais & Châteaux" page before and never got disappointed! For my birthday last year we stayed at a penthouse at The Pavilions in Phuket. This year we were hiking in the Yosemite National Park and were looking forward to a nice place after a couple of weeks in motels along the way...

We arrived at the CHÂTEAU du SUREAU in Oakhurst in the late afternoon and got not disappointed! The place was beautiful, the staff friendly, the room very nice. Maybe it was all a little too much but that is down to the individual taste and maybe for us, as we are originally from Europe, a little strange why someone would build something to look old that isn't old. :)

We stayed in the "Mint Room", a lovely room with a great bed and a spacious bathroom. Everything was 200% clean and nicely presented. Reading through previous comments it was mentioned that people found it strange that the toiletries got rearranged and put away - actually I thought they would have stopped doing that as the comments were from 2008. But I was wrong and I didn't like it either! No one touches my toothbrush! On the other hand what could I have done about it? Saying on arrival: "I would like you not to touch anything in the bathroom, I have read that in the reviews?" Hmmmm - certainly something that can easily be fixed.

At arrival we told the staff that we would like to have the prix fixe menu with wine pairing a few hours later but we are both vegetarian. They had 3 hours to come up with a completely new menu for us and they did an incredible job. The food was divine as was the vine and service. Even if you don't stay at the Chateau Erna's Elderberry House Restaurant is worth a visit.

The breakfast on the terrace outside the breakfast room was beautifully arranged but unfortunately by far not enough for us. 2 croissants and one bread roll for 2 people and a few pieces of cheese… We honestly thought that would be the starter before the eggs or something like that. I asked for one more croissant and got one more, unfortunately I was out of cheese by then. It was the morning of my birthday and the last thing I wanted was to get upset so I enjoyed what was there.

I asked the evening before to have a candle on our breakfast table as it is a birthday tradition and I got one from our very friendly waitress who gave us top hiking tips as well. Thanks again for both!

Bottom line: we wish we could have stayed longer.
Mrs. V

Room Tip: The Mint Room seems to have more privacy than the others and is lovely!
    • 4 of 5 stars
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here at the end of May. We went to visit Yosomite Park. Without a doubt, this was not a mistake. This is such a great place. We were comfortable, well feed and the Chateau was beautiful. The staff and owner were all great to deal with. They went well above the call of duty to take care of us. They even polish your shoes if you leave them outside your door. The Internet pictures are accurate. Another words, this is really what the rooms look like and it is clean. We ate at the restaurant and it was outstanding. I would stay here again!!!!!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Wildflower619
Larkspur,California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I can not improve on the other warm reviews. We love this chateau, the staff, the owner and the restaurant.Last year,while attending a conference at another hotel, I drove down just for dinner, which was perfect. It is about an hour from the valley floor in Yosemite, but we find it hard to leave the comforts of this estate. We have stayed many times and have rented it out for an anniversary celebration.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Our family stayed at Chateau over the Labor Day weekend. What a wonderful place to be! We felt so pampered by friendly and excellently trained stuff members. Everything is done with great attention to details. Our rooms were so beautiful and beds so comfortable. Our kids (8, 10 and 17 years old) enjoyed themselves as well complimenting the food and saying how nice the place is and how friendly people are. Special thanks to the Elderberry restaurant for great picnics and unforgettable meals! And thanks to Erna for creating such a lovely and memorable place! We truly enjoyed our stay, recommend it to our friends and can't wait to return!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Yulia10
Davis, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The moment you arrive you are greeted warmly and the relaxing begins. This was our third time staying here and it keeps getting better. All of the rooms are different but all are romantic. Most have fireplaces. I love when we leave the room it gets fresh towels and tidied up. I had to rush to drive to Fresno for an evening event and we came home and they had even picked up my clothes I left on a chair and neatly folded them. Always candy, cookies and cakes appear in you room. The beds are comfy and the bathrooms nice. This hotel is designed to serve you every need. Thank you Erna and the whole staff. You all are fantastic. we cannot wait to come back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Attention to detail, warm, welcoming staff. A restaurant to die for and beautiful grounds. Who would ever want to leave? We stayed for 3 nights and were greeted each morning with a delicious breakfast. Then off to Yosemite for sightseeing. Back to the Chateau for a late afternoon massage at the Spa. And then a sublime 5 course dinner with meticulous attentiveness--thanks to Samuel and Erna! If you are in the area, splurge--you'll have a magical experience.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank zahmlaw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakhurst
BEST WESTERN PLUS Yosemite Gateway Inn
The Pines Resort
The Pines Resort
#1 of 1 in Bass Lake
3.5 of 5 stars 471 reviews

Been to Chateau du Sureau? Share your experiences!