“Good Mexican food outside the Park”

El Cid Mexican Cuisine
Ranked #8 of 52 Restaurants in Oakhurst
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2010

The service and the atmosphere were great! The staff was very friendly and we never had a dry drink or empty basket of chips. When trying new places, I always stay the course with my "basics" for Mexican food - chips and salsa, guacamole, ground beef enchilada, cheese enchilada, rice & beans and a house margarita on the rocks. Going into the meal, I was ready to give my first 5-star rating on tripadvisor. Based on the service, the margaritas, the excellent homemade salsa and even better guacamole, we were on a roll! Unfortunately, the food quality slipped a little bit when the main courses came. The overall meal was enjoyable and I would definitely eat there again, but I felt the rice tasted like it was made with lipton soup mix, the beans were below average. The enchiladas were just average. Granted, I am tough on Mexican food because I'm always missing my Tex-Mex, but I do feel the food quality could be slightly improved. Next time I am in Oakhurst, I will visit El Cid again and enjoy it very much (unless I'm at Todd's for some of the best bbq in California).

Reviewed July 12, 2010

Went here because it is within convenient walking distance of the Houndstooth Inn.
First rate margaritas but the food leaves a lot to be desired - bland, bland, bland!

Reviewed June 25, 2010

We ate here while staying in town one evening. When traveling, we like to eat Mexican food. The food here was nothing special - just average - not especially tasty, just OK.

We were seated on an enclosed porch at a table for 8 (there was just 2 of us). It was one of those cheap oblong white plastic tables with plastic chairs - no tablecloth. Indoors appeared to have had a more pleasant and festive environment.

So it wasn't a great atmosphere or a great meal. The prices were reasonable. No complaints about the wait staff; they were friendly. There's plenty of easy parking.

1  Thank Route31
Reviewed June 9, 2010

El Cid is often recommended by locals as their favorite Mexican Restaurant. My meal of shrimp burrito was very nicely done, with a fairly complex sauce, much like I have had in some very good Mexico City restaurants. Service was good and friendly, and quite prompt.

1  Thank roadtripper82
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Had read some good reviews of this place so were expecting better. First the good: the restaurant was pretty crowded--including a birthday party. There were lots of people in the outdoor part as well. The place had a warm, homey feel to it--a real local vibe--and was great for people-watching. The food, though, was soggy and not tasty. But the real downfall was the service. The waitresses all had an efficient, businesslike air, but ours seemed put out from the beginning. She was impatient with us when we gave our orders, seemed annoyed by having to repeat herself once, and then got one order wrong. She never checked on us and did not fulfill requests for more water and salsa. Then she was suddenly cloyingly attentive when it was time to pay the check. Left wishing we'd tried somewhere else for dinner...

1  Thank traveljule