“Second time not so good”

Pop's Family Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 49 Restaurants in Oakhurst
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
North Fork, California
“Second time not so good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

I had written a glowing review about the breakfast experience there, but we went back a couple of days later for dinner and were disappointed. We ordered chicken-fried steak, and I don't see how that could have been the type of pounded steak I buy at the grocery store. The texture was consistently squishy and spongy. I took off the coating (which was very good, by the way) and examined the "meat" for any sign that it was anything but a preformed mush with perhaps a lot of textured vegetable protein. I did not see any connective tissue or signs of real meat. Just a patty that seemed to be formed out of some sort of spongy mush. You could have cut it with a cheap plastic fork. The green salad hardly had anything in it and was not good.

We wanted baked potatoes but even though it was only 6 p.m., were told there weren't any baked potatoes left. I could have mashed ones or french fries. Wasn't really in the mood for fries but got them anyway. They seemed to also be of a weird texture, perhaps extruded from a potato paste? Another disappointment, as I thought everything was supposed to be homemade there.

My vegetables were awful and I could not eat them. Frozen cauliflower and broccoli, all mushy and watery and tasteless with no seasoning that we could detect. There were several "homemade" pies listed for dessert choices, but after being told, choice after choice, that they were "all out", we finally had to ask what WAS available. There were two kinds, and we ordered key lime pie. I am sorry if I am wrong about this, but I have had a lot of grocery-store frozen key lime pies, and this was exactly like them, both in texture and flavor.

Our bill seemed pretty expensive, but when we are served wonderful meals, we never feel bad about paying for them. But this experience was not a good one. I still wish the owners well, as I like Pete's Place and the two families are related. Can't say I will go back to Pop's, though. It isn't cool to look forward to going out to dinner and coming home so disappointed.

• Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Midlands, UK
“Great food. Amazing dessert pies.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

The food here was fantastic. Really tasty cabbage soup. Succulent steak. Salmon cooked to perfection. Good fries. Generous portions. The Key Lime Pie and Chocolate Turtle Pie were both out of this world. Simple food done brilliantly. A memorable dining experience and good value for money. If you are in Oakhurst, eat here!!

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Sumbalumba
Dundrum, Ireland
“Great breakfast, great choices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

Great value breakfast, very pleasant staff, great choice on the menu from omelette to burrito and standard breakfasts. Worth a visit if in the area

1 Thank danwallace
Petaluma, California
“Excellent Service and Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

After a horrendous experience at the Best Western up the road, we were sent her by the reception staff. We were so happy and grateful for simple, honest good food and service.

Visited March 2013
“Average Food at High Prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

I'm a local who wanted to try the new place in town. Both the hostess and waitress were friendly and professional. I ordered a double cheeseburger and considering how expensive it was I figured it would be fresh and large and assumed it would come with fries like the rest of the free world serves burgers. Well. I was wrong on all three counts. The burger was an average size burger with obviously frozen patties and I had to pay three extra bucks for an order of fries. I can't speak to how the rest of the food there is but I can say that without a doubt that if I am craving a burger from now on I will go to The Forks or Miller's Landing for it.

1 Thank Navyguy778