“Great Hotel, New Management is heading in right direction”

Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Oakhurst
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 22, 2012

This is a good hotel, with some minor issues, but I had a chance to talk to the new owners who just took over a month ago and they were already making some changes and mentioned other changes that were in the works but not complete yet that would be great. I look forward to coming back again to see the changes when I visit this area again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ostokes
There are newer reviews for Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites

Reviewed April 15, 2012

We have great stay there ! Value for money and we got big room

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Shane M
Reviewed April 10, 2012

Perfect place to chill out after the Yosemite experience.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MikeyEdwards
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I visit Oakhurst several times a year, as we have family there. I booked this hotel because the one I usually stay at was booked for the weekend. My cousin and I had a nice room with two queen beds, but the sheets seemed to be made out of burlap. The TV channel selections were minimal and the ice machine on our floor was not working. The elevator is the slowest in Christendom and I avoided using it unless absolutely necessary.

At 10:30 on Saturday evening, I called down to the front desk for an extra blanket (it was snowing that night) and extra pillows, as I have a back condition. I was blithely told that if I wanted the items, I would have to go downstairs and get them myself. I was then treated to a ten minute tirade about how the front desk lady was the ONLY staff member present for the night and she could not leave the front desk for any reason. I did without the items, since I was undressed already and was not willing to parade myself through a hotel in my well worn pj's for all the world to see, Never in all of my travels have I ever been expected to fetch my own linen - even at cheap places like Travel Lodge or Motel 6!

I guess as an energy saving effort, some of the lights in the room had motion sensors; so all night the light over the TV would go on and off as it responded to the smallest of movements such as a person rolling over in bed! Needless to say, we were treated to this impromptu light show all night and were awakened several times.

Having only one staff person responsible for the entire hotel all night was disconcerting; I felt it unsafe for the employee and inconvenient for the guests. The breakfast was sparse: one of the waffle machines and part of the juice dispenser were broken and kids from a traveling church group cleaned out all the food by 8:30 AM - so there was little left for us grownups. Had breakfast at a coffee shop at the foot of the parking lot where the hostess treated me to a 10 minute political diatribe while I paid for my meal. Weird experience all around and I will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Isidis S
INNsightDotcom, Manager at Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2012

Dear Isidis,
Thank-you for taking the time to submit a review for Yosemite Southgate Hotel. I am very sorry to learn of your disappointment with our hotel. It is our goal to provide our guest the utmost service and comfort. When we fail to uphold our high standards, as in your case, we are very disappointed and concerned. I assure you that all area's you spoke of have been addressed.
Thank-you again for bringing these areas of improvement to our attention. We realize you have many choices when it comes to lodging, and we sincerely appreciate your business.

Thank-you!
Debbie Mackey- General Manager

Reviewed March 18, 2012

This is a great hotel, about 45mins away from the National Park entrance. The room was big, and clean, with a great view of the mountains. There are a few restaurants located nearby, and it's directly opposite the tourist information centre, which everyone should visit before visiting the park as they have maps, and the latest travel/ road info.

The only let down was the breakfast, but there are a few places nearby to grab an early bite.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Charlievamp
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Excellent place to spend the night before entering the National Park. It´s just miles away and allowes you to go in the park early in the morning.
The staff is the "friendliest". They helped us on everything we needed.
In addition, there is a few good restaurants nearby. I recommend the Italian one.
The breakfast is not excellent, but good enough.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hernan S
Reviewed January 19, 2012

After arrival the receptionist asked me if we have 2 rooms. I replied that we have only one. She said that she have 2 orders the same name. I again replied that it was nonsense and that we have pre-ordered and paid for only one room (Expedia). Then she said OK and gave us the room key. When we went around the reception a few minutes later the receptionist still something dealt about our room with an older woman - manager (?) who looked at us as a nuisance. The next morning we went to breakfast, we had breakfast near the reception area, where coffee was placed. No smile from hotel staff, no information that the hotel has a small hidden breakfast room, where we could go. Room was spacious but older, no problem. But next time we prefer to avoid this hotel chain.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank petrcze
shiloinns, General Manager at Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2012

Thank-you for taking the time to submit your review about the Shilo inn Oakhurst. I am very sorry to learn of your disappointment; it is our goal to provide our guest with courteous and friendly service each and every time. I assure you that this issue has been addressed and corrected. It is through our guest comments that we are able to continue to strive for excellence. We realize you have many choices when it comes to lodging, and we sincerely appreciate you business.

Debbie Mackey

Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakhurst
Best Western Plus Yosemite Gateway Inn
Americas Best Value Inn Yosemite-Oakhurst
Yosemite View Lodge
Yosemite View Lodge
#1 of 2 in El Portal

Been to Yosemite Southgate Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!