“this place was ok”

Ranked #5 of 10 Oakhurst B&B and Inns
San Clemente, California, United States
“this place was ok”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

We stayed hear for three nights and had a good time . the small motel is owner run and they try pretty hard . Its an out of the way place and it has a nice creek behind it . We found it to be clean and everything worked after a bit of help . This place has its own beer and wine garden as well as live music on the weekend. To be fair its a little expensive and expect to drive anyplace you might want to go . It is hard to find without gps as its not on the highway but it is close to Yosemite and the tour buses will pick you up there. We probably would stay here again if places downtown oakhurst were full

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kelly C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
florida
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Our trip started, Florida to San Francisco, drove to Oakhurst about four hours Oakhurst is a quaint town with everything you need. The queens inn is at the end of town. First impression, very nice friendly people, our room was clean and nicely decorated,it was a handy cap shower,one level floor with a shower curtain. We didn't mind that at all. They have a wine and beer garden, lots of fun. There wine is very good, and there beer selection is excellent. It is a beautiful property, so take a long walk and enjoy. We stayed thurs. And fri. Both nights were spent winding down at the wine,beer garden, nice perk. It's about one hour to the park entrance,but it's an nice ride( I encourage all slow drivers to use the turn outs, they are there for you, move over and let faster cars go by, thank you) We did two days in yosemite and one day white water rafting on the Merced river( zepher rafting, fun ) that is plenty.Great winery-hotel

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Craig M
Venice, CA
Reviewed May 14, 2012

We spent last Saturday night at the Queen's Inn and, truthfully, I have just booked to go back again in a few months...that's just how much we loved it! I was happy to have read the reviews on TA as the driveway down is a little hidden (which is actually a plus). It is true that the exterior of the inn looks a little motel-like, but don't let that fool you -- the rooms are simply but beautifully renovated. It was a pleasant surprise to see the private decks off the back of our rooms (7 and 8) that overlook the lawn/meadow down to the river. Right next to our rooms was the wine and beer garden (open from 4 to 10, I believe). If you are really sensitive to sound and want to go to sleep before 10, you should book at the other end of the Inn (rooms 1-4). My mom who is 82 was in room 8 (right by the garden) and the live music didn't bother her, but I'm sure it would bother some (my husband and I were at the garden until it closed so the noise didn't bother us!).

After we checked in, we walked up the hill a bit to the on-site winery, Idle Hour Winery. For a small fee, we tasted about six of their wines. I honestly don't think I have ever been to a winery where I thought so many of the wines were truly excellent. Needless to say, I joined their wine club and bought a few bottles! (The wine bar below does not sell all the Idle Hour wines but I was happy that it sold my favorite one. And their other selections were also excellent.)

After dinner, we went to the wine/beer garden and enjoyed the live music and fire pits for the rest of the evening. Drinking delicious wine, dancing under the stars then retiring to your comfy bed in your beautiful room? Who wouldn't like that?

Continental breakfast is really that: coffee, tea, juice, boxed donuts and muffins, bagels and English muffins (which you can toast) and some fresh fruit. It is not a full breakfast and is not advertised to be. I am very picky about coffee and this was very good. We took our coffee and bread to the table outside overlooking the river and had a leisurely breakfast...not wanting to leave.

A word about the staff: I am amazed at the negative reviews here. Every single person we came into contact with was extremely friendly and helpful. I couldn't have asked for more.

(For those traveling to Yosemite, the Inn is about 20-30 minutes to the south entrance.)

Room Tip: Rooms 1-4 are quieter on nights when there is live music in the wine/beer garden. But I still would...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank venusinvenice
Corvallis, OR
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I guess I should have read the reviews more carefully before booking, but the pictures made this place look like a decent deal for the price. Upon arrival, it actually looks more like a motel with eight rooms set up in an L-shaped building. Besides the actual set up, the room was quite dirty. I was greeted by a stained bedsheet that was so thin I could actually see many hairs on the mattress pad below it. SInce we checked in late, and the office closes at 10pm, we didn't have much choice but to sleep on the bed as is.

When I brought the condition of the room up to the owners they actually argued with me. I talked with several people here, and all of them were argumentative with the exception of the gentleman I booked the room with, Rocky. He seemed like a nice guy, but I was unable to reach him during our actual stay. He informed me that he was the "unpaid help."

In my opinion at $109/nite this place is really overpriced for what you're getting, basically a renovated motel.

My suggestion to the owners is to listen to your customers, apologize when concerns are brought up, and give the place a thorough cleaning.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Exlir
Stuttgart
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in march - had a little touble finding the motel at first. We had a free ubgrade to a king room (#1). The room was very nice and clean. There is a seperat room for storage which contained a refrigerator etc. There ist a little place to sit outside behind the room. The breakfast was great; coffee, juice, muffins, bagels, hot cocoa, fresh fruit ...
Since there was snow and we didn't have the required chains for our rental car, we book very shortly a tour which tourned out to be great! For details see www.discoveryosemite.com
The staff was very nice and we really enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Maya_on_tour
San Francisco, California
Reviewed November 9, 2011

what a cool little inn in such a generic little town. my son and i were traveling to Yosemite Park and found this cute place with a winery and wine /beer garden on the premises. mind you, we aren't hotel chain sort of people so this place was perfect.
we started our adventure in the winery, where the one of the owners and winemaker (Anna) told us about her style of wine making while we sampled her wonderful wines.
the inn and surroundings are quaint, well kept and tastefully decorated. the wine bar (wine /beer garden) has a warm welcoming feeling with plenty of friendly locals. Deb the other owner of the property was extremely helpful and kept us laughing. they have firepits outside to get your breath of fresh air while still keeping warm. we heard that during the spring through fall months they have live music on the patio.
my room had plenty of space and a cute deck to enjoy the fall colors. the bed was very comfortable and the gas fireplace was a really sweet touch. the breakfast was continental (that's what we expected). we asked if they could recommend a place for brunch and let told us about a little cajun place called Woody's. Good food and hospitality.
we had a wonderful little visit and look forward to coming back to sample the live music

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank monk m
Arizona City, Arizona
Reviewed November 4, 2011

After seeing the photos, I was expecting something better.

A very nice young man and older man were in the office and helped me with everything I needed, definite plus. Their breakfast is terrible, don't even bother going in. I mean... why even bother putting it out? Our room was very clean, although tiny. We met the owners, two ladies, who were not very nice people at all. Very short and rude and uninterested in what you had to say. I would say that the only thing I liked about the place was the wine bar.

Stay somewhere else and just go have a glass of wine at Queen's.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank Mike P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakhurst
Best Western Plus Yosemite Gateway Inn
3.5 of 5 bubbles 3,705 reviews
Homestead Cottages
Homestead Cottages
#1 of 4 in Ahwahnee

Been to Queen's Inn by the River? Share your experiences!