“Stay at the Hotel, but don't eat here”

Yosemite Gateway Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 49 Restaurants in Oakhurst
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We serve american food at reasonable prices. We offer our hotel guests a 25% discount for breakfast. Open for Breakfast and Dinner. We have a full service Lounge.
Petaluma, California
“Stay at the Hotel, but don't eat here”
Reviewed December 13, 2011

Consider Yosemite Gateway Inn a good place to stay, because it is. But the restaurant is seriously mediocre. A shame as we gave them three chances to do right, (ate there for two dinners and breakfast) yet even with the very friendly staff, nothing could salvage the food. Not super terrible, but not great either. Would have to say that in all the restaurants and eateries I've patronized in all my life - and I've eaten at a couple hundred if I can estimate - they would rate at the bottom 10.

Regarding the service... I may have to give one exception to my previous "friendly staff" comment above.... There was ONE staff member who seemed tired and exasperated, and as a result, was slightly rude and dismissive to our group when we came for one of the dinners. She was the front hostess that night and I tried to see her name badge to make mention of it to the manager, but couldn't quite see from where we were sitting. Except for that one bad apple, everyone else who served us at that restaurant was sweet and accommodating.

Ah well.

Visited August 2011

• Hebrew first
Somerset West, South Africa
“Unpretentious”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Reasonably good food at ok prices. Needs more atmosphere but staff are really nice

Florida
“Dept of Health, Please Inspect this Place”
Reviewed August 21, 2011

We stayed at the the Best Western - Oakhurst in August 2011. The rooms were okay and seemed to be clean. The front desk staff was nice. We stayed one night at this hotel because it is conveniently located to the South Gate of Yosemite. We arrived late, so the staff recommended we have dinner at their restaurant "The Best Western Yosemite Gateway Restaurant". We walked over and was immediately greeted by an older, w/f, blonde hair..who instantly advised us it would easily be over 45 minutes before we could be seated. This lady is honestly the rudest hostess I probably have encountered in my life, she has no business in this position near the customers. However, because it was so late.. we waited and were finally seated. The bartender and waiter/waitresses were very friendly despite hostess lacking social skills.
We then ordered our meals and I chose the salad bar. I soon changed my mind once I observed the blackened pieces of lettuce that were wilted and soaking in water. Absolutely disgusting. I changed my mind and ordered a chicken breast with rice and vegetables. When our orders arrived, I had eaten several bites of the chicken when I noticed it was totally raw (yes uncooked) inside. I notified the waiter who apologized and removed the price of the meal from my bill. A manager never approached me or apologized for the unexcusable preparation of chicken - absolutely no professionalism. Thank God I did not get Salmonella, but thought it is sad if a restaurant cannot even grill a chicken breast correctly. I will never be back to the Best Western Hotel or this restaurant. Sorry, but this is not acceptable anywhere. This is an experience that could ruin your vacation instantly, it is not worth the risk!

• Visited August 2011
4 Thank Hot-n-Miami
Quebec
“Anywhere else but here”
Reviewed August 14, 2011

We booked two nights at the Best Western Gateway Inn and they offered 20% off breakfast at the restaurant, so we said, why not? It was the worst experience for the whole trip.

We've been seated without any smile or welcome, given the menu like we were disturbing the waitress. That wasn't a good start. We ordered simple breakfast, eggs and toast. After 30 minutes waiting (and the restaurant was empty) we finally had our meals.. cold. And the next thing we know, the bill is on the table and we haven't taken a bite yet!

For the whole 45 minutes we have been seated, i never got a refill of coffee nor the waitress asked if everything was okay.

We had the pleasure to choose another restaurant the next morning, for the same price had a terrific experience. This one doesn't worth the money at all.

• Visited August 2011
3 Thank Koko99
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Good service, food not fancy but better than average.”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We visited the reasturant on two mornings for breakfast and on both occasions service was efficient and the food including the eggs and burritos was tasty and well cooked. Coffee was plentiful and the waitress was able to accomodate our individual requests with a smile.
We also ate twice in the retaurant in the evening. The first time we did not book and because it was so busy had to wait; though for much less time than we had been warned, The second evening we booked a table and were able to walk straight in.
The salad bar starter for $1.99 was very good value as were the burgers, grilled chicken, fish and chips and coated chicken that we had. The special on one evening, a tequila lime chicken dish was however rather heavy on the lime which was disappointing. We did not manage desserts as the portions were so generous each time. There was a good range of bears and also wine by the bottle or glass.
Overall we were pleasantly supplied by the food and service after reading one or two mixed reviews, though the restaurant is indeed decorated in old fashioned American style and now very dated. (Artwork supplied by the highly productive owner...)

Visited August 2011

Been to Yosemite Gateway Restaurant? Share your experiences!