“Not exactly what we expected”
Review of Oakridge Inn

Oakridge Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oak View
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

Let's start with an honest first impression. Driving up to this property did not make me happy. The pool is tiny and an afterthought off of the parking lot. Don't plan to swim there. The overall look of the place is $79 - $110 a night maybe, considering the proximity to Ojai. Instead, we paid $160 per night.

To be fair, the room was simple but clean. I had to wonder just how clean though when I found a previous guest's running shoes under our bed the next morning. Clearly the room wasn't vacuumed before we got there. Who knows how long those shoes we're under that bed. Cringe.

The beds were comfortable enough, and traffic noise, despite being right on the main thoroughfare, was minimal. No - actually better. The place was pretty quiet.

The water pressure was weak in the shower, and the head was low. I'm 6'1" and has to stoop a bit.

The upshot is, had the room been cheaper, I would have taken the whole thing in stride. But for what we paid, I thought it was over-priced. This is a stop-over motel, somewhere to pause while passing through. This is not a place to stay multiple nights on a vacation, in my opinion. Save up your money and stay in Ojai for that. And definitely don't bring your wife here for her birthday. While mine was very sweet about it, I was embarrassed at this choice. Once we were there, it was too late. No refunds. Not something I blame the motel for, but I was mad at myself for not exploring other options more carefully.

To be clear, I don't mean to knock the guy running the place. He was actually very nice. And, for what it is, at a more reasonable price, this motel has its place. But based on other glowing reviews and what we paid, I expected better. Lesson learned. This really IS a two star place, and not a point higher. Nothing wrong with that, except the price

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank tourpilot

Reviewed July 13, 2012

Our stay was in room 212 and we really found the room comfortable and quiet. There is a flat screen TV, mini fridge and microwave in the room. The air conditioning was very good and I appreciated the quietness of the unit. The bathroom is very large with the counter space you dream of when you are on vacation. We had a sofa and coffee table in the room as well.

The manager, Scott, could not be more helpful. He keeps the hotel running smoothly and efficiently. He made sure the special requests I made (early check-in and room needs) were met. We will definitely come and stay again. It was a pleasure to sleep in the comfortable bed.

Room Tip: The quieter rooms are in the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jbtiara
Reviewed July 3, 2012

There is nothing flash about this hotel but it's clean, quiet and reasonably priced. It has a small breakfast provided and free Wi-Fi. For people wanting a cheaper alternative to accommodation in Ojai, then this is the place.

Room Tip: There are only two floors but no elevator, if you have a lot of luggage, get a ground floor room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank banga1
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Stayed here to avoid high prices in Santa Barbara. The hotel is in a weird area, sort of light industry,mom and pop stores, in semi rural area. Once inside the room is attractive and spacious.Microwave and mini fridge included. What was with the huge bathroom? You could practically put another bed in there it was so large. Outside pool is really a very large spa. Good value for the price.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marfarr
Reviewed December 20, 2011

Wanted to stay in Ojai, but availability and cost inspired me to look elsewhere. This is an independently owned setting just 5 minutes down the hill, as close as we could get under the $100 threshold.

My small son and I were warmly greeted and given room 113 on the ground floor. It was a very clean and spacious queen bed suite with pull out sofa, coffee table, in-cabinet micrwoave and refrigerator, and tv, nice for light entertaining.

The decor had a warm contemporary country feel, but with nice upgrades such as boutique style bed presentation with high loft pillows. It was a nice setup and the bed was comfortable.

The bath was huge with granite countertops and a full tub, definitely large enough for two to prepare for the day. I appreciated the extra space, bath towel, liquid soap dispenser, gentle bar soap, shampoo, and heat lamp.

The heat and ventillation worked well with digital temp settings.

Parking was convenient to the room.

There was in room coffee and coffee, a good selection of Stash teas, all day and am danish and pm cookies in the office.

There were ample, reasonable and varied restaurants within walking distance and even more in Ojai, the nearby hamlet of Meiners Oaks, and down the hill in Ventura.

This is not a spa setting if that's what you're looking for.

Our room was away from the road so was very quiet.

It was a five day stay for business and visiting friends. This was a pleasant and affordable situation for us.

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank litenup
Reviewed September 4, 2011

I came to this hotel with some relatives to have a good rest for the weekend. On arrival we didn't think much of the place from the outside but when we got our room we were pleasantly surprised. The room (room 105, a bunk bed and a queen-sized bed) was quite spacious with an equally big bathroom. The room had a mini-fridge and a microwave which was very convenient. The pool was quite small but quaint and while we didn't get in, we still had a fun time dipping our feet into it and enjoying the ambiance. The television had a lot of channels to choose from including HBO. Some people may not care much about the TV listings but it's nice to know we have a lot of varieties to choose from. There have been many occasions where I've stayed in high-priced hotels only to find out that there are only about 10 channels to choose from. The hotel is not in some fancy part of a city but has a lot of mini-markets and restaurants close by. It is also very close to a nice lake/recreational area where one could rent boats and bikes. It's also a reasonably near the Santa Barbara's Stearn's Wharf (took us about 15-20 minutes to get there). We all slept quite comfortably and were treated to a continental breakfast in the morning. All in all, it was a great experience. We will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank John S
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Really nice rooms, with huge bathroom and kitchenette. Not much in the town however, some lovely scenery, near the ocast and very close to a lovely town named Ojai. Great for a stop over for a night or two but probably run out of things to do if youre there much longer.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Four Points by Sheraton Ventura Harbor
Chantico Inn
Chantico Inn
#5 of 5 in Ojai

Been to Oakridge Inn? Share your experiences!