“How Lucky are we to have this in ou back yard”
Review of Leila's - CLOSED

Leila's
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 1, 2014 via mobile

I have been coming here since they opened, literally. Tonight there were five of us. We sat at the "butcher block" facing the kitchen. I like to spy on the dishes as they they come out to be served. Personally it does not bother me at a that it is in a strip mall. I much prefer to focus on the food and their flavors than the front of the place. I started with the Peruvian Shrimp Ceviche. It had wonderful flavors, enhanced by the chilies that Richie grows in his back yard. I loved the way Ritchie's magic with blending the flavors so none overwhelmed any other.
My wife began with the Hearts of Romain. Really crisp fresh lettuce and the dressing is very special. The dressing makes a simple salad scrumptious..
My friend had the crispy soft poached egg salad. He said he loved it.
I tasted the Grilled Maple Leaf Duck Breast from my friend's plate. It was cooked perfectly, medium rare. The sauce, cherry gastrique with smoky grain mustard reduction was delicious. Again Richie showed his talent blending flavors marrying perfectly without interfering with one another. Perfect harmony.
My main course was the Grilled Paso Robles Grass Fed Hanger Steak. They cooked it just the way I like my meat, rare plus. I sliced it against the grain. The fingerling potatoes were delicious. They were tender not under cooked like too many restaurants do today.
The service was great as it always has been. I am happy to say that they listen and hear what you say and go make it happen. Richie takes a lot of pride in his magical food adventures. In my opinion it is not only the best restaurant in the Thousand Oaks. West Lake Village San Fernando area BUT among the best in the whole of Los Angeles.
I am lucky to live 2 miles from it's door.
They provide perfect glassware for every kind of wine. They also have great food friendly wines.
In case you haven't figured it out, I highly recommend eating at Leilas.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

On October 15, 2013 I met two of my co-workers at Leila's. The bartender was fabulous!! I then ordered the Burrata Caprese Rigatoni. Half way through enjoying this fabulous dish, the chef came out to see who ordered this dish. When he saw that I didn't mix the burrata fully into the pasta, he reprimanded me by telling me I don't know how to eat a burrata. My co-workers and I were simply in shock at this chef and his going out of his way to seek me out and complain about how I ate. How I eat a burrata is none of his business! I'm 1/2 Italian and my Italian father is a chef. I will never return to this restaurant regardless of how delicious the food was and how fabulous the bartender was to us. I tell all my co-workers about this experience and the company I work for used to select this restaurant for one of our dine around restaurants and have since removed it.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is one of our favorites - always a delight. Great food, great service. The 5-hour simmered
with noodles is one of my all-time favorites. But everything is good! Nice wine list and attentive
wait staff.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Understated, contemporary atmosphere. The aromas coming from the kitchen were a good sign of things to come. Our server was a little indifferent and forgot to bring the bread twice. That aside, the food was excellent. The beet salad was light and delicate with a nice contrast in flavors. My lamb brochette was outstanding, cooked perfectly, a little crispy on the outside pink and tender in the middle. The combination of couscous and zucchini with the Harissa sauce paired well with the lamb. My husband had the 6 hour beef, it was very good too, a bit more of a hardy dish. Wine prices weren't too bad. The bar area looked good, if you want to share several of their small plates or starters. Good variety of dishes. Would eat here again.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Excellent food and super friendly staff. I come here often and have always had a good experience. Try their starter salad with poached egg