“Stay here and you'll have more $$$ to spend on wine!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Americas Best Value Inn of Novato

Americas Best Value Inn of Novato
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Novato
Austin, TX
“Stay here and you'll have more $$$ to spend on wine!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2007

Inexpensive "base camp" for visiting the Wine Country.
Nothing special about the place but we spent little time in the room..just to sleep and then we were out and about all day. The place could use some updating and a good cleaning...but it was okay. Convenient location right off 101. Easy to get up to Sonoma and Napa and get on with the wine tastings! Also only a 20 minute drive to Petaluma where our son is stationed with the USCG so it's good for parents who will go for visit or graduation.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2007

I stayed here at this hotel for two to three days every month from August to December, whenever I came up to the area to visit my father during the last months of his life. Although he lived in Petaluma, I preferred to stay here (11 miles away) because I liked the beautiful town of Novato and this hotel was always a very quiet, peaceful, welcoming haven. Yes, it's quite conveniently located off of the 101 freeway, but it is at a level somewhat down below the highway and a bit isolated from it (so that you might not even see the hotel from the freeway), which gives you all the advantages of a freeway location without the disadvantage of noise. It's a national chain, so of couse much about it is typical, but I see nothing to complain about in that regard. Reservations on the Travelodge website are a snap. The price is reasonable, the rooms are large and comfortable with larger-than-average televisions and each room on the upper floors has a balcony where I could sit and read outside in the fragrant Marin County air (different from Los Angeles where I live!). They have a pool and a hot tub and, although I never used either, there were always people using the hot tub even in the chilly wintry evenings, so I liked the idea that the management didn't close it for the season just because it was no longer summer. They also have a small exercise room with (I believe) a treadmill and an elliptical machine, although if this is important to you, you may want to verify. One thing that I liked a lot, which, believe it or not I had never used before, is that they have a WiFi, so free high-speed Internet on my laptop in my hotel room was, to me, pretty cool and now I don't want to stay anywhere that doesn't have one! The hotel has a continental breakfast, but I never checked it out, as there are so many cute restaurants quite nearby in "downtown" Novato, another reason why I liked staying here. All in all, this was a fine place for my purpose that offered some amenities that I appreciated and based on that, I would happily recommend this hotel..

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — No dislikes
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank thomasdosborneii
San Francisco, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2006

Decent-looking motel on the side of the freeway, nothing special. Room decor was average but really could use some updating. Overall the room seemed somewhat clean--not exceptionally clean as there were some patches of dust here and there and stains on the carpet.

The most disgusting thing was as we were sitting on the bed watching TV, out of the corner of my eye I swear I saw something run behind the dresser. I got up to go look behind it and there was a grey mouse, sitting amongst a TON of old rodent droppings behind the dresser. I almost vomited. By this time it was after 11pm and we were not sure where to else to go at that late hour, but for sure I was not staying in that room! We immediately packed our bags and went down to the reception. The night clerk on duty did not seem to be alarmed at all and his underwhelmed appearance could not have been more opposite from ours. He offered to move us to another room, which initially I refused...but then thought what are our other options at this late hour? We ended up relocating to a larger, somewhat cleaner-looking suite and of course the first thing I did was go and look behind every dresser, table and the bed! I did not see any readily apparent signs of rodents so I reluctantly agreed to stay there though hardly slept at all!

As there was no manager on duty in the morning when we checked out, I followed up with a letter to the manager describing our experience and asking for a refund. Several weeks later I received a response offering no refund, but instead a discount of 50% off a future one-night stay. Hello? Why would we EVER set foot in that foul mouse dropping hotel again??!

I suspect we were not the first nor the last to experience rodents in this hotel based upon the response of the night-clerk and later the manager. And I also beleive that's why they offered this pathetic coupon to placate us...technically it "fulfilled" their obligation to rectify the situation, while full well knowing we'd never use it and they'd never see us again.

Consider yourself warned....STAY AWAY!

• Stayed September 2002
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank SFnativeGal

Travelers are raving about these Novato hotels

Waldport, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2005

Compared to a lot of lodgings in the Bay Area, this motel seems like a decent value. It's kind of old looking, both inside and out, but you get a fair amount of stuff in addition to just a motel room. Namely, the nice perks include an outdoor pool and hot tub, a small exercise room, a continental breakfast consisting of fruit, muffins, juice, and coffee, and possibly even a small patio (on the 2nd floor). The motel is conveniently located right next to highway 101 and trendy downtown Novato. And Point Reyes is only about 20 scenic miles away. Of course, it's not right in the center of the action of San Francisco, but, all in all, it's not a bad deal overall.

12 Thank Trevor5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Novato
Days Inn Novato/San Francisco
Americas Best Value Inn Six Flags/Vallejo/Napa Valley
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#19 of 20 in Berkeley

Been to Americas Best Value Inn of Novato? Share your experiences!