“Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Novato
GreenLeadersGold level
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed here two nights after planning on one. Nice comfy clean room with King and jets in the tub. Fireplace in the room. Entire stay, including breakfast was great. Helpful staff, clean facility. Used the business center, but not the workout area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Laguna Woods, CA
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed at the B.W.+ Novato Oaks Inn for 4 nights. We had requested a room on the top level in the back in the "quietest location possible." At first they put us on the 2nd floor in the 2 story wing, but facing the road. When I asked to be put in the back, facing the hillside, they quickly changed our room to across the hall. We thought we had it made. Unfortunately that night at midnight a college Lacrosse team moved in next door and banged and bumped and thumped and made all manner of noise until 2:00 AM. The next morning we asked if those neighbors would be staying on and explained why. Wendy at the front desk quickly offered to move us and explained that this team stays there often and has never caused problems before. Our luck. She also said we should have called to complain because their policy is that they do not tolerate noisy guests, but I said we kept thinking they would quiet down in just a short time. So our next room was on the third level down at the end. This end was at the back, but also closer to the road, so we did hear some road noise, and one night we did hear our neighbors for a little while. That said, I have to commend Wendy and the staff on being very accommodating and trying their best to make our stay the best possible stay we could have. As for the hotel - what we liked: It is near the 101, so pretty good location and not right on the road, so if you get a room in the back, you can avoid most road noise. The lobby is lovely, it has a nice business center, pool, breakfast is very nice, rooms are pleasant and beds are very comfortable and the place is clean and well maintained. Some rooms are upgraded more than others. What we didn't like: The breakfast room is in an open loft above the lobby, so the acoustics are such that it is very noisy and if they leave the front doors open in the lobby, which they often do, the breakfast room can be chilly. Our final room was one that wasn't as upgraded, so the bath/shower fixture was difficult to regulate in terms of getting the water to a desirable temperature. The doors on the rooms are the kind that make that loud clicking noise when people go in and out of them. Still.. we will definitely stay there again as it is probably the best hotel for the money that we can find in the area and the attitude of the staff is first rate!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top level on the hillside.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
N.Ireland
Reviewed October 12, 2012

What a fantastic hotel. We arrived very late checking in was effortless and we collapsed in our spacious clean room a short time later. next day woke to a beautiful sunny very early morning due to tiem difference. went for breakfast which was included and had a feast. Waffles were my favoured dish for the 5 days we spent here. That Morning my Fiancee and myself realised within a short distance we were close to many lovely places, Sausilitto, Novato, Napa Valley. All of which were toiured during our stay. Sorry I digressed the hotel is very clean the rooms are cleaned daily breakfast is beaytiful and the pool area is very clean. Staff at the hotel and neighbouring Red Fox Restaurant are absolutely brilliant. We stayed here for 5 days to attend a wedding and then stayed in San Francisco. If we had known then what we know now we would have used this hotel as a perfect base to explore and more than likely booked an additional 5 nights here. To all the staff thank you very much great hotel. Visit again very soon.
PS woke up one morning at around 5 to see approx 8 deer at our window that same night returning from the restaurant walking across the car park a small deer walked across our path within feet. great memories.

Room Tip: No tips just a great hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelManager049, General Manager at Best Western Plus Novato Oaks Inn, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you for the great review. You will have to come again next year to see all the new baby deer! It was fun having you with us and we do hope you will visit us again!
Sincerely, The Staff and Management
Westminster, CO
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I don't know if I can accurately convey my love of this hotel. I was anxious to visit it again because my first visit was so exceptional, but I kept thinking that it couldn't be as good the second time.

But it was! It was actually even better than I expected. We booked this hotel to use as a base for exploring wine country, Muir Woods and San Francisco - it's right in the middle of all of them. And before you think this hotel is expensive, I suggest you try looking for others in this area and compare. It is CHEAP compared to anything in Sonoma, Napa or San Francisco that is an equal type hotel.

Best Westerns can be spotty, and so I'm always hesitant to use them unless they're reviewed well. But once agian, when I booked here, I got exceptional customer service - I specifically requested a room with a balcony this time, because last time I noticed they had them so wanted to try them out. After making my reservation, I got an email asking a question about my special requests, because I stated I wanted a quiet room with a balcony. Many of the balcony rooms overlook the parking lot (still not as ugly as it sounds, as they look out into the surrounding hills as well, with lots of forestation), so they were concerned there would be too much noise from the cars. I asked them if they could put us on the far end of the parking lot, away from the highway - that that turned out to be what I thought was the best room in the entire hotel. It was on the top floor, and our view consisted of just trees - we sat on our balcony every night and morning, with a beautiful view of what was basically a forest. It was extremely quiet, and for some reason that bed seemed to be the best bed I've ever slept in (I have lots of back issues, so many hotel beds are agonizing for me, but this one was great). The room was very clean and well lit, and I thought the decor was very modern. Everything was well thought out and functional, including the fact that they actually had two plugs on the desks for laptops and gadgets (you'd be surprised how many hotels I've visited lately where I end up crawling around on the floor trying to find someplace to plug things in).

The pool was hardly used at all - I went out there every night, and there was maybe 1-2 people there at most. The hot tub was great, and the weather was perfect for both.

The breakfast is what we joked about a lot, mainly because we loved it so much. It is somewhat of the standard continental breakfast fare, but amped up a bit - you have many more choices, including boiled eggs and some breakfast sandwiches to get some protein - and the fresh waffles were what made us go over the edge with happiness. We still joke about going back there just for the waffles, and nothing else.

The staff there went over the top to make us feel welcome, and to make sure any needs we had were addressed. I felt like I could just move in here for the rest of my life and be perfectly happy. Thanks, Best Western!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank female_wanderer
HotelManager049, General Manager at Best Western Plus Novato Oaks Inn, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you so much for the great review! It made me smile to read it and definitely made my day! I have passed your kind words on to the staff. We look forward to seeing you again. Most Sincerely, The Staff and Management.
Reviewed September 21, 2012

At what point does a Best Western justfy charging guests nearly $200 (w/tax) a night? It's nice enough but seriously, you're at least $50 more than what you should be. Rooms are comfortable with nice beds. You'll hear your neighbors, whether you want to or not. Breakfast is pretty good for a Best Western and I should know...I'm in hotels over 150 nights every year. Bring the prices down and I'll be back.

• Stayed September 2012
9 Thank cbs111
Bandon, Oregon
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Family of 4 traveling to the SF Bay Area for both 'touristy' activities in the city as well as family gathering and wedding in Petaluma. This hotel's location was perfect, and the cost was less than half of what it would have been to stay in San Francisco...and parking is free.

We had a double queen room which had plenty of space for the four of us and our luggage. Room was very clean, comfy beds. Wimpy pillows, but we learned long ago to bring some of our own (comforts of home).

We were pleasantly surprised to find we had a sliding door to a balcony with table and chairs - a nice place to retreat with the included continental breakfast. BTW - the continental breakfast included much more than we usually see elsewhere. Waffle makers, egg/sausage biscuits, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, doughnuts, different toasts, cereal, coffee, orange juice, cranberry juice, etc. Flatscreen TV w/news as well as newspapers in the eating area. Staff did a great job keeping the food stocked and area super clean.

The pool is heated and decent sized. Kids loved it after long days of urban hiking! There is a hot tub, BBQ, ping pong table, chairs / tables / and lounge chairs.

Really easy 101 freeway access in any direction. We used this as our base for visits to San Francisco (Alcatraz, Chinatown, Golden Gate Park), Petaluma (family stuff), and for Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo. Really surprised what an easy drive it was to all of these.

Rated at 5 stars not because it blew us away, but because it was all we hoped for and expected for our trip. Will stay here again, and recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Zapinator
HotelManager049, General Manager at Best Western Plus Novato Oaks Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you for the nice review. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Sincerely, The staff and Management
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This is a pretty nice hotel however the reviews on here seemed to make it seem like it was an exceptional property that would blow you away. This hotel is in a good location - fairly easy to find off of 101, near stores and restaurants and also in a great location if you plan to drive into San Francisco or need a central location to visit the Marin Headlands, Point Reyes or Sausalito. The lobby is nice, but the access to the rooms upstairs is through one elevator in the lobby followed by a long walk. The rooms are very clean and stylish but not ultra wow. Breakfast had a nice selection and a decent sized area. The front desk staff was friendly but while I was here they were doing some sort of film shoot for a promotional video and the film folks took over most of the close parking lot spaces and would not let you out the front door upon checking out when you came with large pieces of luggage instead making you walk around and venture down a flight of stairs. Not really a nice way to treat customers!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am so sorry that the commercial shoot created the inconveniences that it did. That was a tough day for us as we had to deviate from our normal customer service standards. We deeply apologize for that and certainly appreciated your patience. Sincerely, The Staff and Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Novato
Courtyard Novato Marin/Sonoma
#1 of 3 in Corte Madera
Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
Acqua Hotel Mill Valley
#1 of 5 in Mill Valley

Been to Best Western Plus Novato Oaks Inn? Share your experiences!