WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Novato
Israel
“good value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

I will start with the good points. The location is good, right off the highway (althrough everything is, in Novata which stretches along 101). As noted, each room has its own covered parking. My room was recently renovated - new and good quality A/C, and TV, very comfie king-sized bed, nice shower, small safe, and adequate closet and shelf space. Room was clean, and plenty of electrical outlets in strategic places, not always found in a room.
Next things which are "OK" - minimal breakfast, but enough to start the day, (for instance, I like a bit of milk in my coffee but there was none) small soap, hand lotion and shampoo, plenty of towels. Nice showerhead but the bathtub is the old one. Sink is outside the bathroom next to the door, which is a bit inconvenient.
Now the things which were really no OK:
1) My reservation said I have MW and fridge in the room but there was none. When I asked the person who checked me in, he said told me "they are being delivered tomorrow" which may or not be, but irrelvant for my one night stay. No words like "we are sorry", or offer of compensation (this happens to be important matter to me)
2) I had some issues with my cellphone from abroad and the service dept. needed to call me on a landline but they were told a the office that the transfer system is not working.

To sum up, you may have a fine stay, but there are still some rough edges here, possibly due to ongoing upgrading. Maybe try it in another year.

Room Tip: Some rooms (ones with covered parking) are upstairs so you have to lug your bags up a narrow stairwa...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank SRCIsrael
ManagerDM, Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear SRCIsrael,

Thank you for choosing Econo Lodge Novato for your stay in the area. We appreciate your comments and are working hard to offer an excellent guest experience. We hope that if you are traveling in our area again, we can welcome you back to the Econo Lodge.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

We were there to help my daughter renovate your home which was located close by the Econo Lodge, so this was our first stay at the Lodge. Although we had never stayed here before, we were pleasantly surprised by the renovations, the affordable price and the entire experience. We booked 2 rooms, one for ourselves and one for the 2 workers we brought with us to help... we all worked long days and at times stressful but it was wonderful to come back to a clean, fully functional clean place to lay our heads at night, even for the entire week we were there... the two workers who came with us commented on how we got them the DELUXE unit... our unit was wonderful, the flat screens TV, the wonderful decor w new bedding made it a wonderful experience. We will return. The staff, particularly at the front desk staff over night and early morning was FANTASTIC and always helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Faith H
Dear Faith H,

Thank you so much for choosing the Econo Lodge Novato for your stay while helping your daughter renovate her house. We are pleased that your accommodations were comfortable for you and your other party. We appreciate your feedback and hope you choose to stay with us again.

Melbourne, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

This was our first stay at an Econo Lodge. This facility has been newly renovated and the room was probably the smallest we have encountered but it was ok . The only motel where our rental was parked in a garage. Convienient location to GG Bridge,, good value. Basic breakfast, no eating area. Ok if stopping for i night

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thomas B
ManagerDM, Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Thomas B,

Thank you for choosing us while staying in the Bay Area. We have been renovating are pleased to know that the updates exceed your expectations. We appreciate your feedback about your stay and look forward to your next visit!

Ukiah, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Rooms are apparently under renovation. Room we were assigned was lacking details. Huge bathroom and NO counter space, just pedestal sink. One outlet and the dryer is in it. 4 person room, one desk chair, 2 coffee packs - one decaf, 1 regular, 2 cups for 4 person room. Good lighting overall but NONE over desk. Good sized room, good # of outlets on both sides of 2 beds, only one small cabinet between beds none on sides so no place to put anything. 1 chair. When we checked in office door was wide open and clerk was sound asleep. Took several tries of making noise to wake him up. When we checked out at 6:45AM door was locked, blinds closed. Knocked several times with no response. "Breakfast" was supposed to start at 7AM. No evidence anyone was setting up. Have no idea what "breakfast" was but there was NO seating space, just a counter for stuff. Probably just packaged take away stuff is "breakfast." Owners should remember it's about the details in the room and customer service that brings the customer and brings them back.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Cleo20132013
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Room 147 is in the back building and is UPSTAIRS (no elevator), and the room is huge with a real kitchen, a round kitchen table with 4 comfy straight-backed chairs, a long desk with one rolling office chair (the desk is only good for a tall person, though). The kitchen was super clean and had a toaster, a good-sized fridge with a freezer and a nice sink, as well as an electric stove with oven! Off the kitchen is a sliding glass door with a real balcony and a view of the nearby picturesque hills and barbeque area below.

The bed was clean and comfy. The entire place was super clean and quiet, except for the crazy wind that whistled pretty loud. The skylight was wonderful. Some people like their hotel rooms dark. I don't. I like to get up and go when I am on vacation. The vaulted ceiling with skylight makes the room seem even bigger. Could a family of four stay in this room? Yes, if the kids sleep on the floor or you get rollaway cots (check for availability).

I got on the internet just fine with my laptop. However, throughout several days' stay, my companion tried to connect on both his tablet computer and his laptop and kept getting bumped off after a minute or so, even after the staff said they would bump up the wireless signal. The network cable was not yet connected since the room had been recently remodeled. If not for internet connectivity issues of my companion, this would have been 5 stars. Also, there was no couch and there was plenty of room for one under the large flat-screen TV on the wall.

This place is clean, spacious and quiet. I recommend it over the more expensive places in San Francisco.

We did have to deal with Golden Gate Bridge traffic as our days were spent in San Francisco across the bay from Novato. Please note that we saved $100 a night or so by staying in Novato instead of in San Francisco! Travel tip: If you do not have FAS-TRAK, then you need to pay for your Golden Gate Bridge toll fees ONLINE within 48 hours after you cross the bridge the first time, otherwise you get a bill in the mail. Toll booths are unmanned and you do not stop on the GG bridge to pay. Go to http://goldengate.org/tolls/tollpaymentchoices.php and make a one-time payment with your license number and credit card. You can specify the beginning and ending date of your bridge crossings and pay for multiple days. Your license plate is photographed and you will only be charged for your actual crossings and only in one direction.

When I go back to San Francisco, I will stay here again and I recommend it to others. It is a good value!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
ManagerDM, Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Eve P:

Thank you for choosing the Econo Lodge in Novato while you visited our lovely San Francisco Bay Area. We appreciate your feedback, comments, and tips (regarding the Golden Gate Bridge). We are pleased you found the renovation of our rooms met your expectations, with the exception of the WiFi for your traveling companion. Please understand we are still renovating. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area. Thanks again.

california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

I've been coming here for over 7 years and it's good to see recent reviews reflect the upgrades. For a 2-star motel it always exceeds my expectations but is now better than ever. My room of choice is the King with kitchen and my positive review is based on that. When I need to stay in Novato I don't bother looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: King Room with kitchen ... huge and out back where it is quiet
Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
ManagerDM, Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for continuing to choose us for your visits to Novato, Vagabond_Biker. We have been renovating are pleased to know that the updates exceed your expectations. We appreciate your feedback about your stay and look forward to your next visit!

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

I made a reservation for 1 night and then called to extend the reservation to 2 nights. I am racing at Sonoma Raceway this coming weekend and needed a place for my assistant to stay. A guy named John answered the phone when my wife called, while I was sitting next to her. John was indignant when she requested a second night's stay added to our reservation. Finally, he said we could add a second night. Eureka! Then, when asked another simple question, "can I add a second person to the reservation so that both persons can check in and out of room as they are arriving seperately?" John at first presented (rudely), all the reasons why he couldn't do this (there weren't any). Then, when asked simply, "can we add another person or not?", he said, "No." No explanation, no attempt at friendliness or politeness, just "no". Then, he decided to go on a rant about how payment had to be made with a credit card. "If the person checking in has a debit card, we won't check them in." My wife replied, "ok, its a credit card - nobody is using a debit card." "No Debit Cards", replied John. After that, he just hung up. Thinking we may have been disconnected, my wife called back to ask for a manager to at least ask if they were aware that this individual was talking to customers. His response, "I am the manager." Then, "Also, we don't have any rooms for the night you needed anymore." Then, hung up again. I just cancelled the reservation and booked elsewhere. If you have other options, book elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Barkley13
Also consider these accommodations in or near Novato
Inn Marin
Inn Marin
#3 of 6 in Novato
BEST WESTERN PLUS Novato Oaks Inn
Days Inn Novato/San Francisco
Courtyard Novato Marin/Sonoma
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center
Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael

Been to Marinwood Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!