New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Marinwood Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Novato
“Best stay in Novato”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We were there to help my daughter renovate your home which was located close by the Econo Lodge, so this was our first stay at the Lodge. Although we had never stayed here before, we were pleasantly surprised by the renovations, the affordable price and the entire experience. We booked 2 rooms, one for ourselves and one for the 2 workers we brought with us to help... we all worked long days and at times stressful but it was wonderful to come back to a clean, fully functional clean place to lay our heads at night, even for the entire week we were there... the two workers who came with us commented on how we got them the DELUXE unit... our unit was wonderful, the flat screens TV, the wonderful decor w new bedding made it a wonderful experience. We will return. The staff, particularly at the front desk staff over night and early morning was FANTASTIC and always helpful.

1 Thank Faith H
ManagerDM, Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Faith H,

Thank you so much for choosing the Econo Lodge Novato for your stay while helping your daughter renovate her house. We are pleased that your accommodations were comfortable for you and your other party. We appreciate your feedback and hope you choose to stay with us again.

Best Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Melbourne, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

This was our first stay at an Econo Lodge. This facility has been newly renovated and the room was probably the smallest we have encountered but it was ok . The only motel where our rental was parked in a garage. Convienient location to GG Bridge,, good value. Basic breakfast, no eating area. Ok if stopping for i night

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thomas B
ManagerDM, Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear Thomas B,

Thank you for choosing us while staying in the Bay Area. We have been renovating are pleased to know that the updates exceed your expectations. We appreciate your feedback about your stay and look forward to your next visit!

Ukiah, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Rooms are apparently under renovation. Room we were assigned was lacking details. Huge bathroom and NO counter space, just pedestal sink. One outlet and the dryer is in it. 4 person room, one desk chair, 2 coffee packs - one decaf, 1 regular, 2 cups for 4 person room. Good lighting overall but NONE over desk. Good sized room, good # of outlets on both sides of 2 beds, only one small cabinet between beds none on sides so no place to put anything. 1 chair. When we checked in office door was wide open and clerk was sound asleep. Took several tries of making noise to wake him up. When we checked out at 6:45AM door was locked, blinds closed. Knocked several times with no response. "Breakfast" was supposed to start at 7AM. No evidence anyone was setting up. Have no idea what "breakfast" was but there was NO seating space, just a counter for stuff. Probably just packaged take away stuff is "breakfast." Owners should remember it's about the details in the room and customer service that brings the customer and brings them back.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Cleo20132013
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Room 147 is in the back building and is UPSTAIRS (no elevator), and the room is huge with a real kitchen, a round kitchen table with 4 comfy straight-backed chairs, a long desk with one rolling office chair (the desk is only good for a tall person, though). The kitchen was super clean and had a toaster, a good-sized fridge with a freezer and a nice sink, as well as an electric stove with oven! Off the kitchen is a sliding glass door with a real balcony and a view of the nearby picturesque hills and barbeque area below.

The bed was clean and comfy. The entire place was super clean and quiet, except for the crazy wind that whistled pretty loud. The skylight was wonderful. Some people like their hotel rooms dark. I don't. I like to get up and go when I am on vacation. The vaulted ceiling with skylight makes the room seem even bigger. Could a family of four stay in this room? Yes, if the kids sleep on the floor or you get rollaway cots (check for availability).

I got on the internet just fine with my laptop. However, throughout several days' stay, my companion tried to connect on both his tablet computer and his laptop and kept getting bumped off after a minute or so, even after the staff said they would bump up the wireless signal. The network cable was not yet connected since the room had been recently remodeled. If not for internet connectivity issues of my companion, this would have been 5 stars. Also, there was no couch and there was plenty of room for one under the large flat-screen TV on the wall.

This place is clean, spacious and quiet. I recommend it over the more expensive places in San Francisco.

We did have to deal with Golden Gate Bridge traffic as our days were spent in San Francisco across the bay from Novato. Please note that we saved $100 a night or so by staying in Novato instead of in San Francisco! Travel tip: If you do not have FAS-TRAK, then you need to pay for your Golden Gate Bridge toll fees ONLINE within 48 hours after you cross the bridge the first time, otherwise you get a bill in the mail. Toll booths are unmanned and you do not stop on the GG bridge to pay. Go to http://goldengate.org/tolls/tollpaymentchoices.php and make a one-time payment with your license number and credit card. You can specify the beginning and ending date of your bridge crossings and pay for multiple days. Your license plate is photographed and you will only be charged for your actual crossings and only in one direction.

When I go back to San Francisco, I will stay here again and I recommend it to others. It is a good value!

• 4 of 5 stars
ManagerDM, Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Eve P:

Thank you for choosing the Econo Lodge in Novato while you visited our lovely San Francisco Bay Area. We appreciate your feedback, comments, and tips (regarding the Golden Gate Bridge). We are pleased you found the renovation of our rooms met your expectations, with the exception of the WiFi for your traveling companion. Please understand we are still renovating. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the area. Thanks again.

california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I've been coming here for over 7 years and it's good to see recent reviews reflect the upgrades. For a 2-star motel it always exceeds my expectations but is now better than ever. My room of choice is the King with kitchen and my positive review is based on that. When I need to stay in Novato I don't bother looking elsewhere.

Room Tip: King Room with kitchen ... huge and out back where it is quiet
Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
ManagerDM, Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, October 4, 2013
Thank you for continuing to choose us for your visits to Novato, Vagabond_Biker. We have been renovating are pleased to know that the updates exceed your expectations. We appreciate your feedback about your stay and look forward to your next visit!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I made a reservation for 1 night and then called to extend the reservation to 2 nights. I am racing at Sonoma Raceway this coming weekend and needed a place for my assistant to stay. A guy named John answered the phone when my wife called, while I was sitting next to her. John was indignant when she requested a second night's stay added to our reservation. Finally, he said we could add a second night. Eureka! Then, when asked another simple question, "can I add a second person to the reservation so that both persons can check in and out of room as they are arriving seperately?" John at first presented (rudely), all the reasons why he couldn't do this (there weren't any). Then, when asked simply, "can we add another person or not?", he said, "No." No explanation, no attempt at friendliness or politeness, just "no". Then, he decided to go on a rant about how payment had to be made with a credit card. "If the person checking in has a debit card, we won't check them in." My wife replied, "ok, its a credit card - nobody is using a debit card." "No Debit Cards", replied John. After that, he just hung up. Thinking we may have been disconnected, my wife called back to ask for a manager to at least ask if they were aware that this individual was talking to customers. His response, "I am the manager." Then, "Also, we don't have any rooms for the night you needed anymore." Then, hung up again. I just cancelled the reservation and booked elsewhere. If you have other options, book elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank Barkley13
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I found that I needed to stay a couple of nights in Novato while my car was being repaired, and I found this hotel online. It was perfect for my stay, during which I worked extensively in my room. The desk was large and flexible, and the Internet plenty fast. The place has been recently remodeled, and it was done nicely. The beds are comfortable, too.

Also, I really liked DISH network on the TV. Many, many HD channels, including several HBO channels. I have stayed in many $200 night hotels which had fewer channels and not as nice a TV as the flat screen HDTV in my room.

An added bonus was a small garage under my room where I could park my car. I highly recommend this hotel.

• 4 of 5 stars
ManagerDM, Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear JohnJSmallwood,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Novato Econo Lodge while your car was being repaired. We are happy that we were able to provide you comfortable work space. We hope the next time you are passing through town and need a place to pull over you will choose us again.

Warm Regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Novato
Inn Marin
Days Inn Novato/San Francisco
Courtyard Novato Marin/Sonoma
Extended Stay America - San Rafael - Francisco Blvd East
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

Been to Marinwood Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!