“great value, great location, and nice room”

Marinwood Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Novato
Reviewed August 20, 2013

when in the area, consider this property. It is currently under rennovation -ask for a new room. rate includes breakfast and wireless. it is an older hotel from the outside, but the rooms are nice. not much more to say than to consider this hotel

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I made the reservation for this Econo Lodge months in advance from the reviews on tripadvisor and am happy with our stay. They are undergoing a renovation, but do not let this keep you from staying here.

We stayed in a newly renovated King room. The vanity area is the best I have seen in any hotel that we've stayed at...beautiful. The room smelled new, either from new carpeting or paint or both. We could not hear any traffic noise from the room all the way in the back corner of the property, not that the property is huge...we could still see the back of the office from our room.

My only issue was that the deadbold did not lock due to some new doors perhaps and they had not gotten the chance to put the security lock at the top inside of the door yet. It wasn't a huge deal especially after we went outside and made sure the door was locked when we closed it, but I would have felt better with a deadbolt. I didn't lose any sleep over it, literally :) I also let them know on check out that it wouldn't lock, so I'm assuming it was taken care of.

My only suggestion would be to get a plastic shower curtain or plastic liner for the shower. It was a non waterproof cloth curtain only and had a bad odor to it after we took our showers and it stayed damp. I do not think the correct type of shower curtain was used for the renovation and a change should be considered.

Breakfast was as to be expected...coffee, juice, bagels, toast, muffins. Enough for us especially since we brought our own oatmeal and added that into the mix. Due to the renovation, the office and the breakfast area are in the same room so there are no chairs and tables. This didn't bother us at all, but it may someone else.

We were very happy with our stay here.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The room was clean and the furniture was new and comfortable. The only complaint I have about this hotel is the check-in did not as smooth as I would have liked. After a 3 hour drive I just wanted to get into my room and shower!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed August 13, 2013

The hotel is on a hill and is essentially three separate tiers of rooms. I asked for a King Suite away from the freeway, which is what I got, but it is also furthest away from the office and breakfast. Good location and reasonable price for the area. Check-in was efficient and reasonably friendly. I got clear directions to my room and instructions on how to turn the shower on (you need to pull down on the ring around the water nozzle). The room (#147) was large and included a full kitchen (stove, oven, full size fridge, microwave, toaster and coffee maker). Unfortunately, there was not a single pot, pan, plate, utensil, or paper towel. The fridge never got cold.

The bed and pillows were super comfortable and there were outlets everywhere. The bathroom sink was well lit, but the separate tub/toilet area was dimly lit and the fan didn't work. The tile floor was beautiful.

The room had a vaulted ceiling with a skylight, which can be a plus or minus because there is no way to make the room dark, which is what I like in the morning and also for a nap. The "balcony" is wide enough to step out onto, but not wide enough for a chair. The room was right above the outdoor BBQ. social sitting area. No one used this area, but it has the potential for being noisy or smokey.

The pool was reasonably clean (leaves on the bottom), but very unappealing, needs some flowers or potted plants, plus there was an employee sprawled out asleep on a lounger in the shade (kind of creepy).

The on site restaurant is not open at this time. The hotel breakfast was packaged muffins, sweet rolls, bagels, jelly, butter a juice machine with two types of juice and Keurig single cup coffee/tea maker, which is nice, but not very efficient when there are several people in line for coffee and kind of expensive and wasteful (all those individual plastic "pods"). Our room was uphill on the top tier and we would have had to juggle drinks and food up a maze of stairs back to our room so I drove down the hill. We each got 1 pastry and 1 muffin and a juice and a coffee and got back in the car to drive back to our room. The hotel staff member left the office/breakfast area and watched us in the parking lot and followed us to the street and watched us drive up the hill to our driveway as if we weren't guests. He should have just asked to see our key.

The clerk gave out my room number to my friend and was rude in giving here directions to my room. I don't think they should give out my room number to anyone.

Housekeeping consisted of making my bed, poorly, replacing my towels and putting my garbage into an empty chip bag from my garbage can and leaving it in my room. They did NOTHING else. No vacuuming, no wiping down the counter or table, no cleaning of the sink tub or floor. They didn't even replace the little plastic cups.

This could be a really great hotel with all the nice remodeling they are doing, but staff, and the lack of attention to detail make the changes pointless if the service is so substandard.

Room Tip: Ask if the room has a skylight because you cannot darken the room. Ask if the kitchen is equipped...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Kiran T, General Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Thank you for sharing your most recent stay with us. We appreciate your feedback and we will use them to better improve. On behalf of our housekeeping department and staff, we apologize for our lack of customer service. You issues will be addressed and we will take the necessary actions to better train our housekeepers and staff.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

The room I was given was tiny, and the shower curtain was dirty, not to mention there was hair in the shower and on the blankets and sheets! The comforter on the bed was old and dirty, the room itself was quiet but I felt so icky after sleeping there I left early in the morning. I would much rather pay an extra $50 and stay down the road at the Hilton. The "remodel" seems not to extend to the actual bedding just a coat of paint and some fancy sinks...

Room Tip: stay at a different hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank carolyn r

Firstly thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. We are sadden to hear about your experience at our hotel. I have personally spoken with the housekeeping department regarding your incident and necessary actions are being takine to better train our housekeepers to look out for hairs in showers and on blankets and sheets. We once again apologize and would love to be given another oppertunity to show you that we can do better.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I don't stay in very many Econolodges, but this is the best one I've seen. When I drove up it didn't look like much, but it turns out that part is still under construction. The rest of the property looks very nice. And surprisingly, the pictures that say they are “provided by management” are actually pretty accurate.

The property is on the side of a hill, so my ground floor accessible room actually had a small balcony. There was also a nice skylight. The kitchen could use some updating, but what the heck, it's a kitchen in a two star hotel. The Wi-Fi speed was good (almost 2 mbps) especially for a small hotel. Most places like this you're lucky to get 1 mbps. And the guest laundry/ice machine room was bright and open, not hot and poorly ventilated like many places.

The check-in process was very smooth. They had all the reservations printed out with the key card already made and ready to go.

I rarely give 5 ratings on Tripadvisor, but for a two star hotel, this one deserves it (assuming they do as nice a job with the rest of the remodeling). I'll look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank BJDealer
Kiran T, General Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for sharing your most recent stay with us. We are humbled by your praise of being the best Econo Lodge you've seen. We are glad to hear your check-in process was smooth and you enjoyed our free wifi. The construction you speak of is being done for our new lobby which should be completed by the end of August. We look forward to seeing you again the next time your in Novato. Thank you again for your 5 star rating of our hotel.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This place is being remodeled and that didn't bother me that much, kinda messy at the front but the back where we stayed was fine....except someone visiting someone parked in our space while we were at dinner so we had to park in front of the hotel and walk back. Oh well. Not their fault. However, when I really looked at the bed, I noticed that the pillows were tiny...no really tiny! and only three of them. I need at least two and so does my husband if you are to sleep well. Sent him to get some additional and the night clerk was busy with his girlfriend or something playing on the computer and was very short with my husband..."too late to get them"...period. Nothing else. So at a quarter to 10...we have no decent pillows to use and we are both tired. Not exactly a good thing. We survived by using the spred but I was ticked off. I also lost my keys and they were not helpful at all. The room was pretty and very updated, appeared clean but you just get that taste in your mouth when someone treats you so poorly. The other clerk was fairly helpful but it didn't make up for #2's rudeness.

Room Tip: Backside of the motel is quiet, otherwise you are on the freeway.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. On behalf of our entire staff including the night clerk, please accept our deepest apologies for being treated poorly. We do not condemned such practices and teach our staff to always listen to the guests and try to accommodate all needs is possible. Please be assured that the corrective measures are being taken to provide additional training for our night clerk to prevent from such incidients occuring again. On a happier note, thank you for the nice words regarding our newly renovated guest rooms. We hope you will give us another opportunity to show we can do better the next time your in Novato. Thank you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Novato
Best Western Plus Novato Oaks Inn
Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael
Marin Suites Hotel
Marin Suites Hotel
#2 of 3 in Corte Madera

Been to Marinwood Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!