“Stay here when ever we are in Novato”

Marinwood Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Novato
Chino Hills, California
“Stay here when ever we are in Novato”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The location is great as are the amenities. The room was beautiful, better than expected for the price. The bed was comfortable. There is a restaurant next door "The Novato Cafe" that is great as well.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank HBDiver
Kiran T, General Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear you found our location to be great and guest rooms to be better than expected. We are a newly renovated hotel and its great to hear positive feedback. Thank you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Seattle
Reviewed November 1, 2012

We'd booked a room on the recommendation of a friend who would also be staying there for the first time - she had seen a photo of a renovated room, and thought it looked and sounded nice - as it turned out her room (renovated,) was quite good despite having a view from her front door of discarded toilets, rotting carpets, and moldy mattresses, one assumes from the renovation. Our room however was a nightmare (pre - renovation.) Imagine a room circa 1980 that has not had a carpet cleaning, or curtain cleaned since that time, the walls are covered in smears and grime, the bedding stained and in very poor shape. The bathroom door surround looked like it had been chewed by a very hungry rodent... The front door (inside,) had coffee spills slopped over it, the carpet had a large round melted spot in it, where it looked like someone had put a very hot pan on the carpet (?) The lamp shades were stained various shades of yellow etc... etc... etc..

As soon as I saw the room I turned around and went back to the front office - (which smelled strongly of old motel coffee and chicken tiki marsala...) I informed the clerk I needed another room, to which he replied that he had none, all sold out... I then panicked and rang 3 other hotels in the town - all were sold out due to a very large conference that weekend...

My friend (in the nice room,) was horrified at the state of our room and offered to swap ours with theirs, but I chose to deal with the room we were given. We were both stunned that our room (the disgusting one,) cost approx twice as much as hers! The front desk clerk insisted it was because ours had 2 queens instead of their one king bed!!! - I'd never heard of such nonsense... this fellow was clearly finding it very tedious to keep dealing with us, as we were taking him away from his tv show in the other room.

So, the upshot of all of this is NO,,, I do not recommend this place, even one out of five is more than I would give the place, (despite the nicer renovated rooms) - especially considering the - couldn't care less attitude of the front desk clerk...

This place is a dump!

Room Tip: Dont stay here! If you must, ask for a renovated room.
Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Deer Park, Washington
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I've stayed at the Econo Lodge twice. The first time was amazing, wonderful. The room was well appointed, huge and probably worth dramatically more than I paid.

As it turns out, the hotel is in the process of gradual renovation and the first time I stayed it was in one of the refurbished rooms. This second time, I was in one of the rooms still awaiting the refresh and the Poor rating given reflects just this experience, not considering the excellent experience of my previous stay.

The room I was assigned this time was dingy and dark, with exposed wires and cables strung around the room. Walls had exposed patches and although my brain noticed that everything was very clean, just the sheer weight of accumulated usage over 30 years made the room seem worn out.

The bed was quite comfortable but the bathroom is one of the main areas needing the pending update the most. Again, as spotlessly clean as it could be given the years and years of usage but my animal brain said "dirty!" so I didn't really feel comfortable. The shower temperature would randomly swing from scalding hot to freezing cold.

I do realize that the Econo Lodge is making a serious effort to update their property and they are clearly heading in the right direction. From my last visit to this visit was polar opposites and I saw all the materials and fixtures waiting to be installed for the update to the next batch of rooms, so they're clearly getting there.

I would not hesitate to stay here again, but I would definitely be making absolutely sure that I was in one of the renovated room rather than one of the ones still awaiting renovation.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the renovated rooms
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank christ0fu
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed June 23, 2012

This place is undergoing a slow renovation but even that appears to poorly done. I rented two rooms there and one room was OK but the second one, a suite, had plenty of problems. First the bed spread had a big stain on it. So we pulled that off and tossed it on the floor. Then we noticed every pillow cover had yellow stains on them. The pillows inside looked clean enough so we just used them with no covers. The sofa was stained and the fabric torn.

The rooms are just off the interstate so plan on lots of noise.

It was only one night for us so we put up with it and they were about half price of the other places close by.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank coyotek
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I'm sorry I didn't read the reviews b/4 going. First, when entering the front office, the smell of Marsala was strong. The carpet on the stairs to the room were dirty. the carpet in the room was worse (lots of stains, and dirt), the under side of bed spread had lots of holes. the pillow cases were stained. The lights, and furnishings were old and ugly. the mattress lumpy, and bed made awful noises.

Room Tip: Look first, before accepting what they give you.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Novato, California
Reviewed April 4, 2012

This is an Econo Lodge - Don't expect much. The place is being remodeled and the rooms need a lot of improvements. The place is quiet and great location. The owner is really nice , but other staff hard to communicate with. The restaurant next door is really good and has very reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Marin county is very expensive area to stay. So for the price it was do able.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank 3bears2012
La Jolla, California
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed here for $90/night, and for that price I feel like I got what I paid for. It wasn't perfect and probably could have been a little cleaner, but it had free WiFi, huge rooms, a full kitchen (albeit minimal silver wear, pots & pans or anything you need to actually cook something), and the bathrooms were nice. Parking was sufficient (and free) and this would definitely work for anyone passing through wine country or racing at Infineon Raceway/Sears Point. I wouldn't recommend it for a romantic getaway as the place was very utilitarian, but if you're just looking for a place to crash after a long day of racing or wine tasting, it's hard to pass up the value of this place. You can also walk down the street to the WildFox restaurant at the Novato Oaks Inn (Best Western) that is phenomenal!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank nnnick
Also consider these accommodations in or near Novato
Best Western Plus Novato Oaks Inn
Inn Marin
Inn Marin
#3 of 6 in Novato
Days Inn Novato/San Francisco
Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael
Courtyard Novato Marin/Sonoma
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

Been to Marinwood Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!