“you got to be kidding!”

Marinwood Inn & Suites
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Novato
Reviewed August 8, 2011

This is a motel?
There was feces on the floor in the bathroom. holes in the sheets dirty dirty carpet, room smelled bad, uncomfortable bed. poor lighting, boarded up windows and blinds of all lengths covering some windows . was thlike sleeping in a dungeon
found stuff from previous renter in closet yuck! and they did not pay us? yuck avoid at all costs stay some where else

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 31, 2011

Avoid at all costs. There are not many hotels in this town which is the only reason I can account for this still being opened. From the moment we got there the front desk person had a bad attitude; complaining about everything under the sun and it definitely seemed like an inconvenience to him that we were there at all. Our journey to our room was through a construction zone. We were unable to open the room’s door. We got the front desk person, now really put out, to help us get in. On the way to the room the front desk person started to complain because they were going to have to return some building materials because the inspector had been out and FAILED them because they were not fire proof. What kind of place was this? When the person wrench the handle and shoved the door to open it I actually said, “you’ve got to be kidding”. The room smelled horrible, a mix between stale cigarette and must. There was evidence of water damage all over the room. There was an orange extension cord tacked at the top of the wall running around the room because there were no plugs. The air conditioner had no front and underneath it was a huge cobweb. The entire room was dirty. The walls had many patches with different colors of paint. The linens were of very low quality and stained. But the worst of all was that we could not get the door to latch into the lock while we were inside the room. From outside you could pull at the right odd angle but not from the inside. The front desk person refused to even come to the room for this complaint. I had pre-paid for 2 nights but we left and went to a hotel in Vallejo. I called Choice International and they refused to do anything. Check out the reviews on yelp. The two here are suspiciously high.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I was afraid to sleep at night. The room was filthy and looks like it hadn't been updated since the 50's. OK, I didn't pay top dollar - we definitely got what we paid for. It looked as thought there was some renovation going on so hopefully in 6 months all rooms would be remodeled?!

Room Tip: Ask for a remodeled room!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2011

I live near a Econo Lodge in Arizona. I selected this since it was inexpensive. I was expecting a bottom of the line hotel. This place in nice. Lots of new paint and plants. I would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 11, 2011

We stayed in a "1 King Bed, Suite, No Smoking" with "Sofabed-1Person, Kitchen, Free High-Speed Wireless, Patio, 27 inch TV" from Monday to Friday.

The check-in was very friendly and I was offered a first floor suite with views to the mountains but with the laundry room and ice maker right under it so I asked if there was any other room avalaible. The manager kindly offer me a street level room with another room over it. I asked about soundproofing and was told it was ok.
The first thing we noticed was a strong smell of curry in the kitchen area. We decided to fully open the door to the patio... just to see that the outdoor furniture had never been cleaned. Anyway, we decided not to use de kitchen or the patio as we were there just to sleep while visiting SF. At this point, we noticed that both pillowcases had some stains. It looked like there were washed but they didn't come off which is not acceptable. I took them to the front desk were the manager didn't seem to care and gave me a new pair with a "here you are" as all apology.
At 5:30 next morning I was awaken by noises of people walking, dragging furniture and, what I assume, was folding a sofabed from upstairs. Same thing every morning and every evening at 9pm.
Breakfast is served at the front desk but there is no place to sit there so you have to take it to your room. It includes tea, coffee and juices (but no milk), muffins and bagels. As I like toasts in the morning I decided to use the toaster in my suite's kitchen but it didn't work so I went back to front desk. The manager seemed to be annoyed by complaint and tested the toaster just to check it was broken, so he went to the backoffice, unboxed a new one and throw it over the counter with a "here you go" in a very unpolite way. No apologizes, of course.
Out of these front desk visits, manager was very friendly everytime we run into him during our stay.
Internet WiFi is unstable but works. Cable TV with HBO. Bathroom and towels were clean enough although some bathroom fittings are slightly rusty. Enough water pressure in shower. Bed was comfortable. General cleaning in bedroom and kitchen was poor. Quiet area but far from services.

This may be a "budget" hotel for SF area prices but I paid 90$ per night while the quality of the service and the accommodation was far away from that range of prices.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed February 15, 2011

within half mile walk of the alameda del prado bus pad.turn right at burger king, after climbing the stairs.the 70 & 80 both stop here. room key=discount at the mayan restaruant in the parking lot. breakfast is muffins, juice, & keurig coffee, its a used apt complex, apparently, but well-maintained, and good tv selection.no games played with CC. since its a used apt complex, it has old school parking garages under many rooms.so, there is limited rooms available for wheelchair users, due to it being built well before ADA was enacted.otherwise well maintained.my only complaint is the pop machine didnt have dr pepper, but the mayan restaruant did, so that evens out.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank legendaryrob
presidioinn, Public Relations Manager at Marinwood Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2011

Thank you for your review. We are pleased you were satisfied with our hotel and enjoyed the discount offered at our restaurant. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed October 29, 2010

We stayed here on a trip to San Francisco- we had a late appointment in Novato and were going to spend the rest of the weekend in SF. We got in late, but the service was very friendly and helpful, and we got a free upgrade to a much nicer room! When you drive up, it looks a little sketchy, with all the neon lights and lack of clear signs as to where the office is, but the rooms themselves are spotless and the exterior is very nice in the daylight. Parking may be difficult, and we had a little trouble finding our room in the dark, but those were our only and minor issues. The amenities are about what you'd expect from a hotel in this price range, but everything was very nice! Would definitely return if we had reason to.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business

We appreciate your review! We are so happy you found our service pleasant. We are very happy you found everything to be nice. We hope to see you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Novato
Best Western Plus Novato Oaks Inn
Days Inn Novato/San Francisco
Inn Marin
Inn Marin
#3 of 6 in Novato
Courtyard Novato Marin/Sonoma
Four Points by Sheraton San Rafael
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel San Rafael - Marin County / Conference Center

Been to Marinwood Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!