“Nice hotel for the money”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Norwalk
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Norwalk
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Doubletree was recently bought out by Hilton and it shows. The rooms are tastefully decorated but the shower was the best part. It was so relaxing and you're surrounded by marble. Had a great night's sleep on our little weekend getaway! Be sure to put the "Do Not Disturb" sign up, though, they woke us up twice!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AirLinguist

Reviewed May 2, 2012

I came here to check in at 2:40 pm and was told there was no rooms available and that I would have to wait 15 minutes. 20 minutes later I checked with the hispanic man at the desk and there was STILL no rooms. I told him at that point that I needed to get ready for a wedding that I was attending in the area. He offered the public restroom on the bottom floor (which had contractors working and was "closed for cleaning") or the gym on the 2nd floor. What an insult!!!!! We were in a time crunch so my brother's girlfriend and I went up to the gym anyways to curl our hair and do our make-up in the middle of some guy's sweaty work-out. There was no restroom so we were sitting in the front of the full length mirrors against the wall. Obviously not an ideal way to get ready!! At 4 pm we left to go the wedding and STILL no room. What happened to the 15 minutes? What kind of poor managed hotel doesn't have double bed rooms available for people at check-in time? There was a lot of people waiting for rooms, we werent the only ones! Is this how you treat a customer that prepaid for 3 rooms in the same hotel? In addition, the icing on the cake was when we got back to the hotel at 10:30 pm and our room key didn't work and one of our double beds was missing a comforter. Also, only 2 bath towels for a 2 double bed room? Really?!!! It was too late and we were too tired to even bother complaining again. Talk about the worst service EVER, and no apologies! I will never be back to this hotel!!! I will also be leaving this same review on EVERY travel website to warn others of the poor service at this location! Ridiculous!!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Deez805
Reviewed April 26, 2012

This Doubletree is a nice hotel in a neighborhood that is roughly between Santa Ana (John Wayne Airport) and LAX, if you find yourself, as I did, flying in one and out of the other!

The entire lobby / bar / restaurant area is very nice, obviously recently updated. The elevators are a bit of a walk from the front desk, but it's not objectionable. I didn't witness the bar when it was busy, but it looked very nice and fully stocked, with a floor-to-ceiling wine rack adjacent to the restaurant. The restaurant buffet breakfast could not have been better - eggs to order and a complete display of fruits, potatoes, meats, oatmeal and the like. The waitstaff was wonderfully friendly and accommodating.

Now for the dark side: As I first entered my room, I was pleasantly surprised by how large it was, with plenty of room to put up the ironing board. Shortly thereafter, I couldn't help but notice that the floor had not been vacuumed. Isn't it common to vacuum when guests vacate a hotel room? Not here, I guess. There were minor inconveniences, too - the pen provided had no tip on it and the tub drain was slow. The HVAC was good, and Doubletree's policy of giving HHonors guests 2 free bottles of water was appreciated.

I was most disappointed in the fitness area. The equipment was several years old, but largely functional; however, there was no water in the room, no towels (okay, there was a singular huge bath towel, but that's it), and as you might expect when maintenance items are ignored, the room felt somewhat ignored by the cleaning staff. Shouldn't a fitness center be wiped down frequently?

The overall facility was very nice for a non-new hotel, but with very little effort, this place (and the experience) could be taken to the next level.

Room Tip: My room was on the I-5 side, but the noise wasn't objectionable.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Cheesehead7
Reviewed February 28, 2012

After a disappointing night in the Culver City Doubletree hotel, it was time for another DT property. Our hopes were not high until we entered the modern lobby and were met by very friendly front desk staff.

Our room wasn't ready but a similar junior suite was, so we were checked in with minimal fuss.

The Junior Suite was narrow but long with a rather large bathroom with the Crabtree and Evelyn Citron products. The sitting room was comfortable, however, we did miss a second television, which was positioned on a dresser between the sitting area and the bedroom.

The bedroom was separated by a partial wall from the sitting area and the bed itself was exceedingly comfortable.

The bar area is adjacent to the lobby and was worked by Kimberley, who was a wonderful business card for the hotel in how she spoke, acted and indeed performed her role!

Breakfast was good with plenty of fresh fruit, breakfast breads and an omelette station. Staff were adorable and very helpful.

This is how Doubletree hotels should be like! Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: For that extra space, book a Junior Suite
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 747jet
Reviewed February 8, 2012

I've had a run with some run down Doubletrees lately, so was a little skeptical. However, I was pleasantly surprised with this Doubletree -- Check in and Check out was flawless -- and I even got a phone call asking (sincerely) if all ok, and could she do anything more! Main lobby cheerful and delightful vanilla fragranced. Nice bar area for evening cocktail and pleasant bartender. Good 1/2 price appetizers for those of us with status. Decent buffet breakfast -- the typical fare -- French Toast, scrambled eggs, bacon, oatmeal, fruit, etc. My room was tastefully decorated and did not look dated. Bed comfy. Linens lush. Lots of pillows. I had a nice couch and coffee table -- large rooms. Wireless worked flawlessly. Coffee service replenished daily. Wall mounted thermostat actually worked! I periodically work in LaPalma and next time I do, I'll be sure to come back.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2012

We have a son and daughter-in-law in Whittier and have been staying at the Radisson for convenience. It has been terrible(run down, too many smokers, staff unpredictable, parking awful) for many years but we thought we had no reasonable choices. I could finally stand it no longer and took a leap of faith 12 minutes further away. WOW! Incomparible. The front desk service was excellent, the rooms were clean and the bed comfortable. The restaurant was nice-we bought the pkg that included breakfast and were pleasantly surprised. It was a great buffet. Parking is ample. All in all a much better experience and well worth the extra minutes to drive. The one little downside is the bedding, while comfortable, seemed slightly dated. As in the sheets were flimsy and seemed a little old. If this happens next time I might mention it.
We will definitely be regular customers!

Room Tip: ASk for "city view"...less highway noise.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank myomyers
Reviewed December 31, 2011

This is a nice Doubletree which I believe was formerly a Marriott. The rating of 4/5 is for the hotel only. Nice big parking lot, easy check in with friendly staff. Room was nice and spacious as was the bathroom. Comfortable bed and freeway noise was inaudible for the most part. Overall happy with the stay so far. Then we decided to have dinner in the Sonoma Grill. The tables were already set up for breakfast but was quickly reset for dinner. I ordered the mussel and clam appetiser and my husband ordered the seafood linguine which came with mussels, clams and shrimp. Everything tasted good except the mussels or lack thereof. All of the shells when opened revealed no mussels!!! I have been eating mussels for years and this is my first experience of this. We showed the waiter and he said he would get another order of mussels for us but returned telling us they were all the same!!! He offered us a different option but by then we were finished everything else and didn't really want to prolong dinner. We were then very surprised when he brought the bill which charged us the full price for the meal! Since one of the main ingredients was 'missing' we felt this was inappropriate. Just as we were discussing this, the barmaid walked past and asked if dinner had been good. We explained the situation to her and asked if we could speak to the manager. She went off then returned telling us she would discount the food by 20% which she did. Given the situation, had I been the manager, I would have discounted the whole bill by 20% or taken the food charge off completely. We were also a little concerned that we would end up sick but luckily that didn't happen but we were never really given an explanation as to why the shells were all empty. We would have eaten in the restaurant the following night but after this experience decided to go elsewhere. Disappointing.

Room Tip: Hwy noise not a big issue but you may want to ask for a room away from the freeway.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WeeLuv2Travel2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwalk
Best Western Norwalk Inn
Sheraton Cerritos Hotel at Towne Center
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles-Downey
GuestHouse Inn & Suites Norwalk
DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles
Holiday Inn La Mirada
Holiday Inn La Mirada
#1 of 3 in La Mirada

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Norwalk? Share your experiences!