“Nice hotel but...”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Norwalk
Pennsylvania
“Nice hotel but...”
Reviewed December 31, 2011

This is a nice Doubletree which I believe was formerly a Marriott. The rating of 4/5 is for the hotel only. Nice big parking lot, easy check in with friendly staff. Room was nice and spacious as was the bathroom. Comfortable bed and freeway noise was inaudible for the most part. Overall happy with the stay so far. Then we decided to have dinner in the Sonoma Grill. The tables were already set up for breakfast but was quickly reset for dinner. I ordered the mussel and clam appetiser and my husband ordered the seafood linguine which came with mussels, clams and shrimp. Everything tasted good except the mussels or lack thereof. All of the shells when opened revealed no mussels!!! I have been eating mussels for years and this is my first experience of this. We showed the waiter and he said he would get another order of mussels for us but returned telling us they were all the same!!! He offered us a different option but by then we were finished everything else and didn't really want to prolong dinner. We were then very surprised when he brought the bill which charged us the full price for the meal! Since one of the main ingredients was 'missing' we felt this was inappropriate. Just as we were discussing this, the barmaid walked past and asked if dinner had been good. We explained the situation to her and asked if we could speak to the manager. She went off then returned telling us she would discount the food by 20% which she did. Given the situation, had I been the manager, I would have discounted the whole bill by 20% or taken the food charge off completely. We were also a little concerned that we would end up sick but luckily that didn't happen but we were never really given an explanation as to why the shells were all empty. We would have eaten in the restaurant the following night but after this experience decided to go elsewhere. Disappointing.

Room Tip: Hwy noise not a big issue but you may want to ask for a room away from the freeway.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WeeLuv2Travel2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I stayed here for a few days and have all positive thing to report. My room was ready when I arrived, and hotel staff was very nice. There is an outback steakhouse within walking distance, and hotel restaurant has a good selection.

Free wi-fi or computers and printer you can use in the lobby.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank e42027
Reviewed December 16, 2011

Warm cookies upon arrival. Large rooms with sheet wrapped quilts! Excellent restaurant service. Extremely clean and comfortable with theaters and Outback next door.

• Stayed December 2011
Antioch, California
Reviewed December 16, 2011

I stayed at the Doubletree for two nights on a weekend pleasure trip. I've stayed in other Doubletree properties before that were average at best and was not expecting too much with this one. I was pleasantly surpurised however. The staff were quite courteous, from welcoming me on my arrival late in the evening to greeting me each time I went in and out of the hotel door. The room was larger than average and quite well appointed with flat-screen TV, comfortable beds and nice-sized bathroom. My only complaint was the lack of enough bath towels - there were only two in the room and I could have used another. I did ask the maid for an additional towel, but she apparently did not understand my request and I made do with what I had. Room service was average, but reasonably priced and delivered promptly, even at 11:00 p.m. Locating the hotel from the highway or even from streets within Norwalk is a bit confusing, as the property is back a way from the street and the driveway into the hotel is not well marked. I had to remember to find the large cinema first and then knew the hotel was behind it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT facing I-5. My room was a bit noisy, especially in the morning.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Just stayed on business for three nights. I am diamond HH member. Hotel is very clean with clean rooms. I was upgraded to corner suite. Got a coupon for full breakfast, free cocktail and free appetizer on each day. Rooms have window unit AC but not sure how loud as I didn't use it. Bed was a bit firm but good sheets. Flat screen TV with hi-def. Wifi was strong with great speed.

Everyone I talked to was very helpful and friendly. Location a little tricky to find. Plenty of free parking.

Will definetly stay here again.

Room Tip: Get room on front of building away from highway. Traffic gets noisy.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Traveler_ko
orange county, ca
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Hotel is really nice, great service and the rooms are spacious. I stayed on a weekday for business and had inquired about having a lunch meeting there and the sales and catering staff were exceptional. There was a movie theater walking distance which was pretty nice. I would stay again!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank r0bem
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Wow - I got no sleep. It was horrible. This hotel is right on the highway. I told them about this - they didn't seem to care. The hotel is nice and clean and the breakfast was a very good value - about $11 for the buffet which included an omelet bar. This hotel is great - except that you can't sleep. I'd suggest asking for a room not overseeing I-5. I'd have given it a 4 or 5 if I could have at least gotten 4 or 5 hours of sleep instead of 4 or 5 minutes.

Room Tip: Not facing the freeway.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank TravelManSouth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Norwalk
Best Western Norwalk Inn
Embassy Suites by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles-Downey
DoubleTree by Hilton Whittier Los Angeles
Sheraton Cerritos Hotel at Towne Center
Studio Inn And Suites
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Commerce

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles - Norwalk? Share your experiences!