“Great Place!”
Review of Donner Ski Ranch

Donner Ski Ranch
Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Norden
More attraction details
Owner description: Opened in 1937, this popular ski area offers 400 dynamic acres with the longest run measuring 1.20 miles in length.
Reviewed January 3, 2010

We visted Donner Ski Ranch 2 days in a row a few days after Christmas. My 11 year old son wanted to learn to snowboard. He took a private lesson and snowboarded for the entire time we were there. He was treated like a VIP, the instructor was great and he was snowboarding in no time. He was riding the lifts to the top of the mountain by the end of the 1st day. I thought all the staff was extremely helpful, there were no long lift lines and the magic carpet area was great for beginners to learn to ski/snowboard. The lodge was cozy with a fireplace and the food was decent. Our son is begging us to go back...he LOVED it.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"equipment"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed March 1, 2009

I came to Donner Ski Ranch trying to use a free pass provided by the Snowbomb card. Even though the dates in ALL the literature provided by Snowbomb (including on their website) said that it was not available to use from February 7 thru February 16 (the last of the blackout dates listed), the DSR representatives said that Snowbomb had made a mistake, and printed the wrong dates (how do we know the error was not on the part of the DSR representatives?). The DSR representatives said the blackout dates should have been printed to say it was invalid through February 22. I came on a non Saturday day in during the dates in dispute (the Snowbomb card is always blacked out on every Saturday at DSR). The employees I tried talking to were EXTREMELY nasty, and just blew me off. In fact, I ran into two other people there who said they had the same problem (and one said he was going to dispute payment with his credit card company for the money he had to spend on lift tickets as a result), and seemed as displeased as I was. Donner Ski Ranch was taking out on its customers a problem between them and Snowbomb. How many people were turned away in those 5 days? How many will never come back? I know I will never spend money there again. How much damage did Donner Ski Ranch do to their own business?

1  Thank HockeyMan11
Reviewed February 3, 2009

At the present time, they have a "Learn to Turn" mid-week package listed under their ticket link on their website for $40 which includes rental and lift. Please note, they are not expert trainers. You need to use good judgement and speak up. For example, I should have left at least one ski lift seat empty between me and my guy who both did NOT know what we were doing. He wiped out coming off the lift and my choice was either to run over him or fall backwards as I did not know how to stop.
I am a novice. I am in my forties and thought attempting snowboarding would be fun. I was sore and stiff for several days. Bring BenGAY and a medical card. There is not much space at the base of the slope, so I wish they would hire someone to catch people that don't know how to stop as people did run into/run over others at the base.

1  Thank integrity8
Reviewed April 1, 2008

We skied Donner for the first time on Sunday 3/30/2008 and it was less than fun. What was groomed was OK, but it was cold, windy and the staff had no clue as to what was groomed.

The lifts are slow, the mountain is very small, and it is very wind blown.

We always carry our own boots, but they did not have a option of renting skis and poles, but a package including boots. At $30 each, it was very expensive, and although the skis were newer Head skis, I had just rented 2 sets of skis and poles from Porter Sports for 3 days for only $75 vs $60 for 1 day at Donner.

I'd suggest that you keep on driving to Homewood ($29 for e-ticket on weekdays), or go to sugar bowl across the street.

2  Thank FLSki