“Best Tahoe Skiing & Lessons Bargain” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Donner Ski Ranch

Donner Ski Ranch
Ranked #2 of 4 things to do in Norden
More attraction details
Owner description: Opened in 1937, this popular ski area offers 400 dynamic acres with the longest run measuring 1.20 miles in length.
Sebastopol, California
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“Best Tahoe Skiing & Lessons Bargain”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Just back from 3 great days skiing at Donner Ski Ranch which I highly recommend.

After January 1st, Tuesday - THursday skiing is only $30 for an adult all day lift pass. And for on $12 more you can get a ski lesson. Normal price is only $49. Almost 1/2 of all other Tahoe ski resorts.

No crowds, closest to Bay area, nice groomed slopes and great instructors. ( Thanks Bill !)

Although not as big as many Tahoe area ski resorts, for someone like me who doesn't ski much, I had all the runs I wanted.

If you want excellent Spring skiing, now is the time to go and save a bundle too.

1 Thank adventureguy2

CA
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“best value for families”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We went there during the winter break. While other places are crowded and raised their price, this place is still surprisingly not over crowded. The price for kid's class, lift and rental is unbeatable. Tha magic carpet area is perfect for beginners.

We love this place! We can't wait to go back again!

1 Thank Julianne P
San Jose, California, Usa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Beginning Ski - Donner Ski Ranch is the best place to start”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

My daughter and I started skiing two years ago. We needed lessons (group, private) and lots of exercise days.

Instead of going to the big and famous ski resorts we started going to Donner Ski Ranch. The advantages I found were:
a. Easy to get there (I-80)
b. Small site, perfect for beginners - lots of short green runs
c. You can always get lessons as it is not crowded
d. Affordable price (ski and food) - allowed us to visit more times

My twin boys will start next year. I know where we are heading :-)

1 Thank Raanan K
CA
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Small but wonderful...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

My first time here: We brought my 8 year old niece to learn how to snowboard. This little place is very inexpensive and therefore a great spot for kids to learn. There is a moving carpet, which makes it super easy to learn without getting on and off a lift right away. For those standing by with a video camera it's very family friendly. We brought a picnic and at outside at one of the picnic tables, it was a gorgeous blue bird day, so it was to really nice to picnic/eat outside. If you are looking for a small inexpensive mountain big on fun for family this is your place!

4 Thank Nor-Cal_Chic
Penn Valley, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Place to Learn to Board”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

We visited on a Thursday, there were no crowds which was perfect or my 14 year old who was learning to snowboard. Ian was a great instructor very patient. The place is quite dated but has everything you need. Because I don't ski or board I was very happy that I could view most of the runs from the window of the lodge close to the fireplace. There is food to buy but, as could be expected, it is expensive. To save a few bucks we brought a cooler with our lunch. They have lots of tables inside and out to eat or play cards on.

Visited January 2013