“The best steaks on the Central Coast!”

Jocko's Steak House
Ranked #1 of 44 Restaurants in Nipomo
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed December 26, 2009

They do the best steak south of Harris Ranch on I5. Drinks are good too!,

I've been here many times and have never been disappointed in the food. That being said the rest of the place is a bit lacking. Some say it adds to the atmosphere, but it looks more to me like a lack of reinvestment under the guise of quaintness. I've seen better dinner ware at Denny's. OK, I haven't been to Denny's in over 10 years, but you get the point.

Reservations are accepted, but don't mean much. Pretty crowded, too.

If you like good grilled steaks and don't care much about comfort, tablecloths and matching dinnerware, this is the place for you on the Central Coast.

2  Thank CalifBeachBum

Reviewed September 7, 2009

We had a 9:15 reservation but they were running late. Got seated at 9:45 - were tired from a long day.... However, once we got the food (very quick service) the STEAK was just freaking awesome!! By far better then most 50 dollars I have eaten and my ribeye (small, but still 13 ounces) was only 20 bucks.. and came with salad, baked potato, garlic bread, beans, coffee and ice cream - all for 20 bucks - go beat that!!

2  Thank mittalk
Reviewed September 4, 2009

I had the New York and it was fabulous. Dreamlike. Epic. Wow. So, you walk in this local restaurant and WHAM, back in time with shoddy tables, chairs, silverware. I agree with a previous reviewer: "....like a 1950's Elk Lodge...". But, you're there for the oak pit BBQ, so you don't care. Reservation's a must, but not a guarantee to be on time, usually 1/2 hr to 1 hr late. Unpredictable. But, you don't care.........because you have steak on the mind, serious steak. Giant portions include garlic bread, relish tray( love it, so old school), beans, salsa, salad, potato, and dessert(ice cream). Salad is horrible, but you don't ........... Best seat is by the BBQ pit watching the action and getting the appetite warmed up. Everything is slow, so plan on a couple of hours and enjoy the adventure. Cost was $51.00 for 2 w/o tip, excellent value.

2  Thank js199
Reviewed August 16, 2009

I've been to Jocko's on *multiple* occasions, just this time I decided to document it. Here's my experience:
-The place is ridiculously popular and thus over-crowded *every* night, so MAKE RESERVATIONS IN ADVANCE. You will have to wait WELL over an hour if you don't.
-Servers are completely overwhelmed and busy, so don't expect AAA service
-The place is a bit of a hole: dark, old, bathrooms are tiny, tiny (at least the ladies)
-They load you up on sides and appetizers (I call them distractions: crackers, salad, beans, fries, salad, etc) - enjoy only bits of it and don't judge the rest of your meal on those, as they don't reflect on the quality of the evening's star - the beef!
-The bar is open but only with a limited menu (no wood-pit steaks on that menu), also, there's an older guy bartender who is not the friendliest or welcoming, either.
-Enjoy your steak - the little Spencer is not little at all, it's huge and I can't ever seem to finish it (even when I skip all the distractions)
Overall, this is a STEAK-lovers place, and you will not be disappointed. They've always cooked my steaks correctly (BTW- they cook on the rarer side, so if you order rare, that will be QUITE rare, even for my taste.
Also, they sell this 15oz Jocko's Mix seasoning they sell that I always stock up on when I travel to the area.. it goes awesome on any meat and I miss it once it's out.. so I ration in.

2  Thank artique
Reviewed August 8, 2009

I live in the area and have had multiple opportunities to eat here, both dine in and take out. I have NEVER had polite, much less good service. Friends tell me that is part of the charm. I choose to dine at other steakhouses in the area where they appear to appreciate my business.

7  Thank cdcough