“Come hungry”

Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Reservations are highly recommended we did ours in August for November we got in early the staff was helpful even though it was packed without reservations it was 3 hours the portions were huge and reasonably priced

1  Thank Tom H

Reviewed November 26, 2013

We wouldn't have known about this but for my daughter, a Cal Poly student, went there and insisted we try it. We had a reservation but still had a bit of a wait. This place gets crowded with a long wait! Inside it is like something out of the 50's. The wait staff is old school. I had the regular or small size Spencer and it was not small. It was tender and good and I was stuffed. They start you out with a relish tray that includes pickle slices along with bread, Not what you would expect, but it works. Salad was good! This place is out in the country and is a place you should probably check out when visiting the Central Coast. If you are a steak lover, this is the place.

2  Thank pandasdad
Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

We were finally able to visit Jocko's and were not disappointed. We visited on a Friday afternoon at 2:30. We were able to walk right in and sit down. Service was timely. The steaks were great... nicely seasoned with a great sear. The bread is good. The fries and beans were okay but I was there for the steak. We found the place to be clean and well kept. Not fancy. Just good steaks. Did I say the steaks were great? We'll be back for sure.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Jocko's is a must any time we're with a hundred miles of the place. At first glance its a "greasy spoon" kind of diner but forget what it looks like, if you don't have a reservation, expect to sit and wait about two hours for a table. The filet mignon is humongous. I got the carpet extra cut which weighs in at approximately 28 ounces before cooking. That's right more than a pound and a half of the best thing ever grilled over a Santa Maria style oak fire pit. My wife ordered the King crab legs and they were piled high and cooked to perfection. We shared. The steak is so tender you don't even need teeth and the flavor is perfection. My family and even my company has been to Jocko's many times and the quality food is always outstanding. Do yourself a favor...if you ever find yourself heading up the 101 toward Santa Maria, call and get yourself a reservation. Just do it. You'll thank me later.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

My mom lives in the area and my husband LOVES their steak. So we go every time we visit. And we wait, and wait and wait. And they take reservations, but they are 100% meaningless. They still sit folks pretty much first come first served. And you can sometimes wait up to 90 minutes to get seated, no joke. So don't come hungry because by the time you actually sit you'll be dying.

Even though it is a steak place, the halibut is one of the best I've ever had. Also, because they are in a wine area, the wines they serve are excellent and at an incredibly reasonable price point.

Based on food alone I'd rate a 5. But the wait, general dumpiness of the place and the staff's attitude make them lose a point. I'd try it if you're in the area, but be prepared for the drawbacks.