“Great Steaks”

Tehachapi, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,354 helpful votes
“Great Steaks”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Jocko's steaks are legendary, but for a change of pace I ordered the pork chops ($18). Two magnificent chops (20 oz. each) ! These are the most succulent and delicious (not to mention largest) pork chops I have ever tried to eat (I could only eat one, 2nd one is in the fridge). Next time, I will try their lamb chops ($19). My wife had the filet mignon ($30), and of course it was excellent.

• Visited July 2013
12 Thank melsdad2002

• Chinese (Traditional) first
los angeles
“Worth it.”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Have heard about Jocko's for years, so for our summer road trip this year, I specifically included a stop there. Arrived at 6 pm on a Thursday night. We were encouraged by the fact that there was an empty parking space. Without a reservation, we were told the wait would be 40 minutes. We waited in the decently stocked and reasonably priced bar.
We were seated by 7, had our beverages and salsa a short time later. Our server was a bit gruff at first, but we warmed to her as the evening progressed. Took more than thirty minutes for entrees to arrive, but the salad and relish plate kept us busy.
My wife when for the fried chicken which was moist and quite tasty. I had the filet. It was huge, perfectly seasoned and cooked, absolutely delicious.
Dinner for two, including salads, beans, bread, desert and coffee, $50. What a bargain! Great steak, great price.
If you love steak and have time to spare, drive to Nipomo.

4 Thank wosli3
Skipton
“No frills food”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Had the pleasure of visiting this legend restaurant. There is simply no fuss, no frills, no linen tablecloths/napkins - just good American steaks (large of course). Able to bring in own wine, corkage $5 very reasonable. The atmosphere is lively, the service excellent and the food great. An experience we will treasure.

3 Thank GandTi
san francisco
“Super disappointed”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

My parents had been going to Jocko's for years when we lived in the area and pumped me up for my "classic" visit. The meat was dry and not the color I would have called appetizing. For the amount of business they do you would think they'd update the place as well - very dank and old. Not impressed at all.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank scoles
Monrovia, California
“Not the Jocko"s I remembered”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We were traveling past Nipomo on HWY 101 to San Franciso. I had planned the drive so I would be passing Nipomo around 1PM, so we could go to Jocko's lunch. A place I had great meals and service at when I spent time in Santa Maria years ago. The place was half empty, but we had to wait 15 minutes for them to clean a table and seat us. The beans were awesome, but that is as far as I go in signing their praises. The service was poor and what was most troubling was the meat, which they are known for, was like shoe leather. Next time I am passing through I am heading for The Far Western or McClintocks.

8 Thank Chris M