“Awesome!”

Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Niland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We took the time to drive from Palm Springs to Salvation Mountain as I had heard about this very strange piece of art stuck in the middle of the desert. OMG! Well worth the drive! We are not religious but we are old hippies and this really was a shock an awe moment! You just have to see it to believe it! Simple awesome!

Reviewed February 4, 2014

Amazing place. Absolutely beautiful. Incredible one mans vision. Inspiring. We are not a religious family yet we found this place inspiring and spiritual. Highly recommend. Worth the drive. We went just before sunset. Perfect time to take in the amazing views.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I read about this place on Tripadvisor and decided I wanted to see it. Just outside of Niland, CA, you take a left at the little store on the main street. There's an interesting old rock house on the same side as the store that's worthy of a couple of picures. About three miles down the road you'll see the colorful mountain coming up along with several old vehicles that have all been pained and have Biblical messages on every square inch of metal. The first thing I noticed when I got out of our car was the barnyard smell which I later learned was all the hay that is used in the construction of the mountain and structures. If you're sensitive to smell, this can be overwhelming. We enjoyed every minute of exploring around this unique place. It's an engineers nightmare but designed and built by 'an artist gone wild'!! There are no bathroom facilities along the one hour drive (that we could find) once you leave Indio so be sure and empty your bladder before heading to Salvation Mountain. It will be a memory that you won't soon forget.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

This vision was brought-to-life by one man, in the middle of nowhere off Main St. in Niland, CA.
(Main turns into Beale which is where Slab City (yukj) and Salvation Mtn. are located.

It is an easy drive off Hwy 1i1 from the I-10 or I-8 and is now being looked after by volunteers. The founder spent over 20 years building this "monument" out of straw bales, adobe, trash and a lot of paint. There are also several junk vehicles with messages of salvation. It was his passion and his mission to spread the gospel in an unusual manner.

The structure is unstable, so be careful when going into the "building" of telephone poles and straw bales among tree limbs.

It's a one-of-a-kind creation that is worth visiting if you are anywhere nearby. The big questions are: Did god have a hand in this? Will it save you by visiting the site?

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Just go check it out. I drove from LA to see what was on the top ten oddest things to do in Southern CA list. Worth checking out but I never need to go down there again. You can climb to the top and there is even a section of the mountain you can enter.

There are some decorated vehicles to check out too. Free exhibit but there is a donation bin. I recommend following the road down into Slab City and checking out the Range and East Jesus. If you follow the road past The Range and follow it bending to the left. You will come to a sign that says Sidewinder on it, take a left and you will see it.

Although Salvation Mountain is rated a 3- going to East Jesus, The Range, the International Banana Museum and checking out the Salton Sea made the whole thing definitely worth checking out.