“Not good”

WorldMark Clear Lake
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Nice
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Made the reservations over a year in advance through Wyndham Vacation Resorts. This is the first Wyndham property that I have been dissapointed in . I asked for a room on the bottom floor because I have a very bad back and can't climb stairs well. They said they could do this. We traveled with another couple so we got a 2 bedroom. When we get to the resort I go to check in and tell them we should have a room on the 1st floor because of no elevators. The person at the desk said that that would take 2 reservations and was not helpful at all. I ended up calling Wyndham and they said they put in the request for a ground floor room but because it was an affiliate resort their hands were tied. I was not very happy to say the least. Had to go up 2 flights of stairs to get to the room and when we got in the room it was another long flight of stairs to the master bedroom. So my wife and I had to take the small bedroom down stairs with 2 twin beds. and no TV in room. I called down to the front desk about the TV and we ended getting one about 2 hours later. The third day we were there the sink stopped up in the kitchen so I called maintainence. They showed up in about an hour and asked what the problem was (lack of communication with front desk). He could not fix the problem and said they would have to call Rotto Rooter they said they would be there by 9pm no show I called the Front desk and they said he would be there by 11am the next morning. 11am came and went so I called again they said he would be there shortly. About 2:30 he showed up and didn't even know what the problem was. I explained it to him and he was done in about 45 minutes. Day wasted. The room was clean grounds were alright but I don't plan on ever staying at another Worldmark. It was certainly not up to Wyndham standards.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MissouriGambler
WorldMark W, Worldmark Social Media Team at WorldMark Clear Lake, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay at our property including the unit floor location and unit maintenance. Please know we do try to accommodate as best as possible. We are glad the staff was able to address the unit maintenance issues; however we know that this should not have been an issue you had to encounter. We hope to use this information to improve future guest vacations. Thanks again for providing the information.

There are newer reviews for WorldMark Clear Lake

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Nice property, full kitchen and BBQ on the patio. Friendly staff, very clean, comfortable room. I forgot to bring shampoo and they sell it in the office but do not provide it free. I was surprised by that. Also they charge $4 a day for WiFi. The toilet needed a repair, had to remove the lid from the tank and adjust the flapper valve a couple of times. I did not report it to the staff but did tell them on comment card.

Room Tip: My room was on the ground floor, patio door opened to a lawn and view of lake.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank lhamid
Reviewed May 27, 2013

That's primarily what happens in this neighborhood. This Worldmark, nestled among trailer parks, is essentially a redneck heaven.

If you tire of pig hunting & have caught all the fish you need, there are two ill-attended casinos nearby featuring slots. Good luck.

The resort itself screams AVERAGE on all fronts. Fairly nice people & service; fairly nice rooms & fairly nice lake on the other side of the iron fence and road.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Jdeppman
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Excellent customer service from the staff in the lobby to Jeremiah and his tips about fishing. No problems when asking for extra coffee or dish washer detergent.

Lovely lake as well as pier right outside in front of gated resort. Recently remodeled.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank HoneyandHoney
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The wife and I with another couple stopped here for an overnighter to break up a long drive up to Klamath Falls Oregon. We arrived around 7pm on a Thursday night after many hours on the road from Southern California. The reception went very smooth, and we were given a lake front one bedroom. The unit was clean and nice, per Worldmark standards, the patio had a table with 4 chairs, which we enjoyed to de-compress after the long trip. The property is a Spanish style, with single bedrooms all on ground level and two and larger units all on second floor with extra bedrooms on a third floor. Be advised did not see elevators here, so you'll need to climb stairs if you have anything larger than a one bedroom. We had some "mascotts" of mallard ducks who would hang around looking for a meal.....they did not bother us, we enjoyed them. We grilled some steaks on our patio barbeque, then walked the property and onto the pier and enjoyed the evening. In the morning we all used the pool & hot tub before hitting the road again. We will return to this property again....it would be very well suited for folks looking for some peaceful relaxing time away. Also be advised that our GPS did not recognize the address and we needed to call for directions in order to get there.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Kenneth Q
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We booked a week there through Wyndham Resort and we were looking forward to spending a week there. However, it was totally not what we expected and the customer service was awful.

This is the only timeshare in the Clearlake area. It is located in the little town North side of the lake called "Nice", which isn't really that nice. There are only two restautant choices: American grill or Asian food that is for Americans (no taste at all.) There are not too many activities available over North side of the lake. Everything is at South side of the lake, including restaurants, hiking, and state park.

We got there around noon, which was way too early to check in. We asked the lady at the front desk when we could check in, she told us that she would make our room first priority and that she would call us on our cell phone when it was done. So we went to lunch and then took a walk by the lake. Two hours later, nobody called. So we went back to the front desk, this time was a guy, who told us that it would take another 45 minutes. So we sat by the pool for another hour. When we had enough for the screaming kid who was throwing the tantrum, we went back to the front desk again. This time we were told that we could not check in until 4. When I mentioned that the lady said that she was going to make our room the first priority since we were there so early, this guy said, "well, the housekeepers have something else to do." So I guess we were not the first priority afterall. When I got upset, he then said: "I was not the one who told you that you would be the first priority." When I mentioned that he told us that it would take 45 more minutes when it was already an hour, he again, said: "I was just telling you what I was told." Since I was so upset about being given run around, finally the supervisor showed up. She went on and on about how the owner in our unit was having a big party and messed up the place really bad, and that he did not check out on time, which was none of our problem. She then offered us another unit. She told us that both units were by the street and that they were about the same. Later on we found out that our original unit was actually a lake front unit. By the time we got into the not so good unit, it was 3 & half hours after our arrival.

The unit itself was ok. Everything was in working order but the bed was very uncomfortable, the Best Western we stayed on the way up was even much better. There's no toiletry besides two pieces of soaps. No shampoo, conditioner, lotion, or anything. There's no mid-week cleaning and they do not give enough toilet paper and dishwasher detergent. When we called to ask for some more, we were told that we either had to go out of the property to the corner to get it or to the front desk. When we went to the front desk, we were given two packages of dishwasher detergent, so we had to go back a couple of times in order for us to do the dishes everyday.

The pool area is very small. There are only one small pool and one jacuzzi for the large facility that has 7 buildings with a lot of children running around.

One thing that really bothered us was that we had to pay for the Internet Access since we are not WorldMark Owners. When we asked the front desk about it, the same lady we talked to the first day did not know anything.

We have stayed at three WorldMarks so far and none of them impresses us. The staff are never very friendly and never honor our request, even a small request such as a quieter unit. We will think twice next time before we stay at a WorldMark.

As much as we love Clear Lake, I think we would stay in some tiny hotel in the south side of lake next time instead.

Room Tip: Don't even try if you are not a WorldMark owner.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank floatingsoul
Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a really nice resort. Our unit was facing the water. I love the way the patio had walls and you felt that you were alone when sitting outside. Our unit was perfect, well kept and stocked. The view of the lake and Mt Konocti was lovely. The town of Nice has quite a few run down trailer parks and not really very good dining opprtunities. We did enjoy the Blue Wing Tavern in Upper Lake. The lakes region is very quaint and the people were all very friendly. We made the 2 1/2 hour journey to the Giant Redwoods...amazing. We also visited Ferndale, a cute victorian village and drove over to Mendocino. There are some very nice vineyards as well. We loved the wine at Brassfield and the view at Ceago.

Room Tip: Lake front!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Disneygirl858
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nice
The Lodge at Blue Lakes
Lake Point Lodge ClearLake Oaks
#1 of 1 in Clearlake Oaks
Best Western El Grande Inn
Vista del Lago Lakehouse and Cottages

Been to WorldMark Clear Lake? Share your experiences!