“Great Italian food”

Siena Ristorante
Ranked #374 of 513 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

This place is not the cheapest but it's well worth it. It's authentic Italian if that's what your looking for. The button garlic mushrooms are really good. Great place for romance, right on the boardwalk and all the staff is really cool.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

WORST RESTAURANT I HAVE EVER BEEN TOO. WARNING!!!!WARNING!!! THIS PLACE SERVES UNCOOKED CHICKEN!!!!BEWARE!!!!!!My family and I went to the Siena Cucina Italiana Restaurant on our last day in Newport before our trip ended. The place was literally empty so that should have been a sign but we decided to give it a shot. We were greeted by our "waitress" who was wearing short shorts and a beanie, not very appropriate for a supposed "high end" Italian restaurant. I ordered the chicken parm and it was luke warm but I was starving so I ate some of it. After having a couple bites I looked at the chicken and noticed that it was EXTREMELY RAW AND UNCOOKED. I was freaked out, I told the waitress about how the food was uncooked and all she said was "I wasn't the one that cooked it". I was forced to run to the bathroom and throw up everything that I ate. Talk about a terrible last meal in California. Please do not EVER go to this restaurant. It is the worst dining experience of my life and I will be forever haunted by it.

5  Thank Mark H
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Went there for dinner, served us raw chicken! When we approached the waitress she said it wasn't her fault, when we asked to see the manager, she said she was the acting manager, but did nothing! Stay away!! Definitely done intentionally, how do you serve raw chicken, unless it was done intentional! Terrible experience, terrible service, terrible!!!!

3  Thank Rick H
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We came for the happy hour appetizers & enjoyed the fresh air, sunshine, and beautiful view! The bruschetta was so good, we ordered 2 plates!

Reviewed July 2, 2011

Siena is one of those little places that you go to and don't think about a lot but, when you look back, you realiaze that you've been there a dozen times. Those kind of places just seem to sneak up on you.

I've been going to Siena, two-three times a year, for about six or seven years. For me, it's sort of evolved into a summer/lunch ritual. I happen to be a big tennis fan and since the French Open and Wimbledon work well at lunch time in California, I've gotten into the habit of dropping by Siena and eating in the bar where they have a half-dozen TV's and they are always willing to tune at least one of them into the tennis match.

Last week I dropped in to grab some lunch and and watch some tennis at the bar. Over the years I've come to think that their chef does the simple dishes simply great and the more complicated dishes not as well so I tend to stick to basics and I find myself happy with the food. On this visit I had the Angel Hair alla Checa ($12.00), a very simple, classic dish that sometimes goes by the name Pasta Pomodero. Usually a simple angel hair pasta with fresh chopped tomatoes, garlic, basil and olive oil, it's a light but flavorful dish that, if it's done correctly, can make your taste buds dance and sing. On this particular afternoon my taste buds were dancing like it was Saturday night. The dish was excellent and perfectly prepared. One thing I should note is that the reciepe for this dish at Siena includes capers which I don't think I've run across elsewhere. For me, being a big fan of capers, I found it a nice extra flavor. If you don't care for capers perhaps you can ask them to leave it out. Some nice Italian bread with olive oil containg garlic and red pepper flakes were served prior to the arrival of the entree. I added a nice chianti ($8.00) and just sat back and enjoyed myself.

Siena is located in the Balboa Inn (I believe it's the house restaurant) so it doesn't have a lot of street visibility. However, it's right on the boardwalk at the foot of the Balboa Pier so it's a good location. There is a city parking lot about a block away. When I was in last week they were renovating the main dining room. As for the bar, it remains the same for now and you can feel completely comfortable coming in from the beach in board shorts and flip fops for a pizza.

Lisa, the bartender and server, was very nice and did a terrific job. I also met the new manager (I'm sorry that I didn't get her name) and she said that hey now have music on Sundays. Check their dining days/hours before you go. It appears that they aren't open on Monday and Tuesday and only serve lunch on Thursday thru Sunday but that could change.

While there is public parking (with meters) only a block or so away, I take a different path. Living in Newpot Beach, I usually take a drive over to Balboa Island and follow the route to the ferry. You can usually find street parking there within a couple of blocks of the ferry and walk onto the ferry for $1.00 per person each way. This does a couple of things for you. First of all, you don't have to feed parking meters or be constrained by their time limits. Secondly, it gets you a pleasant, four minute ride across the harbor. From the Pavillion, it's about a 4-5 block, easy walk to the restaurant.

To sum up: this, to me, is a place where, if I stick to the basics, I can get a nice meal, in a relaxing setting, with some nice atmosphere and good service at a decent price. I'm not going to comment on dinner since they are going through a lot of changes right now and I haven't been there recently for that. To me, if you're in the area or looking for someplace that you haven't tried in Newport Beach and like Italian food, this might be a place for you to check out.

8  Thank #1remdog