“The Star of Balboa”

Picante Martin's Mexican
Ranked #89 of 513 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed January 26, 2014

You can eat inside - but almost no one does. You can eat on the sidewalk - lots of people do that. And you can use it as the greatest take-away. We've done all of those things. The staff are wonderful, the food is wonderful (much better than those expensive and fake gringo joints - I can say this from the safety of England!. Keep up the good work.... we love it!

1  Thank Michael J

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We went twice, once for breakfast and once for lunch. Each time was fantastic. The breakfast burrito is huge and delicious and lunch included fish tacos, chile rellenos and a great combination plate with an enchilada and flauta. Everything is made to order, so you can expect to wait a bit, but, it's worth it. Lots of people apparently order take out, because we saw tons of people leaving with their orders. There is limited seating, so feel free to eat outside on a park bench.

1  Thank dre51
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I live on the east coast. I like a a good California (not Tex Mex) style carne asada burrito, but they are hard to get here. So whenever I go to California I try to find one. Picante Martin's hit the spot. The tortillas have the right doughy consistency, and the picante sauce and guac were just right. And the location in the quaint part of Balboa island was just right. I'd do it again. Yum!

1  Thank AnAmericanintheUK
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I was surprised by the reasonable prices for a restaurant on Balboa Island. The decor and space isn't first class. But the food is pretty good. The service is top flight. The young woman who served us just shined amid a busy rush.

1  Thank K W
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is pretty good mexican food at great prices, for Balboa Island. Perfect for a quick lunch or take out.

1  Thank Peck21