“Chicken soup from a Mexican grandmother”

Picante Martin's Mexican
Ranked #82 of 507 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Mexican
West Tisbury, Massachusetts
“Chicken soup from a Mexican grandmother”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We love this little tiny Mexi-Cali place on Balboa Island. Long lines at lunch so get there early. Only a few tables but can sit on benches on sidewalk or walk a few minutes to bayside sandy beach.
Their Picante chicken soup is wonderful, full of chunks of chicken and vegetables. Very fresh and delicious. Their Carnitas (pork) is delicious. Those are my favorites but I think every thing there is good.
I'd give them a 5 but there are very few tables. It's really a take-out place.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank ScreamingHotWings

Vancouver
“Affordable, mexi-cali food - great breakfasts!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Riding our bikes in the neighbourhood my friend and I were starving for breakfast so we stopped in here. Initially I was worried it would be catered to touristas, but I could see many locals were stopping in as well. My buddy had an amazing and filling breakfast burito, and I had the "machaca", which had shredded beef, tomato, onion, peppers, and potatoes scrambled with eggs. my choice of corn or flour tortilla. Only cost about $7! So yum.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Ruben A
“Best chicken soup ever”
Reviewed January 19, 2012

This is a tiny little restaurant on Balboa Island. They have chicken soup there that is so delicious that I've never been able to bring myself to order anything else. From what I've seen of others' meals, the rest of their food is just as good. There's not much seating, so try to go at an off time.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank SB1114
Provo, Utah
“Inexpensive and great simple mexican food.”
Reviewed December 9, 2011

This is a very small family managed/run cafe on Balboa Island (Newport Beach, California). Upon exiting Hiway 1 onto Jamboree, it is on your left after crossing over the bridge onto Balboa Island. It is a small cafe that is easy to miss. Seating inside is for about 14 people and outside on the sidewalk for about 8 people. Turnaround time for the tables is fairly fast. While there for lunch, I noticed that about two thirds of the business I saw was takeout with the locals (strong endorsement). Being in Newport for the week we had tried other Mexican food restaurants and were disappointed. The food at Martin's is fresh, simple and incrdibly good. After watching the locals, we ordered the chicken soup. Wonderful! The tacos and enchiladas were also very good. They open for breakfast and close early evening. If you are in the area and get a craving for good Mexican food, I would highly recommend Picante Martin.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank uvsfrees
Prescott, Arizona
“Affordable Authentic Mexican Food”
Reviewed November 26, 2011

Above average and affordable mexican food. Small dine-in area, or take out. Convenient location, friendly staff.. I was part of a party of four, and everyone had something different. All excellent food. This is one of those "hole in the wall" places you won't regret visiting.

• Visited November 2011