“BEST Mexican Breakfast in Newport!”
Review of Great MEX

Great MEX
Ranked #37 of 503 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Newport Beach, California
“BEST Mexican Breakfast in Newport!”
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Great Mex never disappoints! It is so much fun to walk to Balboa Island and take the ferry over to this little gem of a restaurant! The food is amazing! My husband and I always share the machaca as it is HUGE! The flour tortillas are small and fresh. The machaca, refried beans, and rice taste heavenly in a fresh flour tortilla! I would venture to say that this is the best Mexican breakfast I have ever had. The staff is incredibly friendly. Our Sunday mornings would not be complete without Great Mex!

• Visited February 2014

Paradise Valley, Arizona
“We ate here 3 times in 3 days!”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Order anything with shrimp! Shrimp and veggie bowl, shrimp taco, shrimp burrito! All fabulous! It is always crowded and hard to get a table, so we always took our food to go!

Visited August 2013
Sacramento, CA
“The best Mexican I have had in a long time”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

We had take out and I had the best tacos I have tasted in a long time. There were 8 of us and everybody was very happy with their meals. Definitely lived up to the reviews!

• Visited May 2013
Kinnelon, New Jersey
“This place should be on DDD”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This little hole in the wall gem deserves a visit from Guy Fiere...We got the recommendation on multiple visits to Newport Beach from multiple sources. It's a local secret. Five of us dined on real home cooked Quesadilla's, Nachos, Crisp Beef and chicken tacos - not Ortega or El Paso - the real deal...shrimp burritos, and a fresh salsa bar! They also serve american and mexican beers. Loved it!

• Visited April 2013
Cebu Island, Philippines
“Hidden Jewel”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This place is small, which is the only negative part about it. The service is fast, the chimi's are great (my favorite), the nacho fries are also great and I have never seen those anywhere else. My wife thinks this is the best mexican food she has ever eaten (Lolitas in San Diego may be better) and any time we are near this place, we are gonna stop in. If you are a tourist, or anyone, you can't find a better place in Newport for authentic west coast mexican food. And its great to have a salsa bar with a nice selection to choose from. I hate to do a review of this place because its already too crowded!

• Visited January 2013