“A fabulous find”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

We visited Newport beach for thanksgiving and discovered this small but delicious spot for breakfast on our first morning. The service is great. They deliver or call ahead for carry out the sloppy joe omelet is a treat as are all the burritos.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

I ate here at least twice a week for 3 years while I was over studying at USC, THE best taco's in California. Tuesday's and Friday's are dollar beers, dollar taco's, grab them and head down to the beach for a chilled evening, Wish there was 6 stars for this one.....

1  Thank wellingtonianboy
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We walked past Great Mex on a Friday afternoon at 3pm and the place was packed with teenagers and businessmen - with a trail of folks out the door. Knew we had to go back when we had a few minutes to wait. Am so glad we did!
The burritos and tacos, beans and rice, chips and salsa bar were top knotch. I was on a quest for the best grilled fish tacos in So Cal and definitely found them at Great Mex! Sister had a chicken burrito and Mom had a ground beef taco and enchilada. We each walked out full, paying under $10 for a fabulous meal. Although we didn't eat breakfast, the menu items sounded hearty and again the prices were very affordable.
With few frills, the owner was genuinely friendly and greeted the regulars by name. I just wish I was one of them! This is not a full service sit down restaurant. Once your order at the counter and pay, your meal will be brought to you on real plates or in a basket though - with real silverware.
Shorts, jeans, business suit, swimsuit, flipflops or wingtips, anything goes. Next visit to Newport Beach Great Mex will definitely be in my meal plan for a meal or three!

Reviewed August 19, 2012

My wife and I went to Great Mex on a recommendation from my brother who travels all over So Cal for work and said this was top-notch Mexican food. He was not wrong. The food was outstanding! I had the grilled fish burrito and my wife had the carne asada burrito. We also got chips and salsa, because I always judge Mexican restaurants on their salsa.

Both burritos were fantastic and the salsa was so good I actually drank what was left. Gross, I know, but it was SO good!

Our stay in Newport was overnight and we liked Great Mex so much that we went back for breakfast the next morning. Both breakfast burritos were outstanding.

Keep in mind that this place is very small (like 20-25 seats) and the lines get quite long during peak meal hours, so try to get there during an off time if you're in a hurry. For us it was worth the wait. We got there at lunch time and waited probably 10 minutes in line, but from the time we got in line to the time we finished our meal and were back in the car was less than 30 minutes. So not bad at all.

Great service, great food and great location. This is a perfect spot for a great fast-casual meal on the beach.

Reviewed August 17, 2012

Some of the best tacos in Newport Beach! Definitely a must. The crunchy tacos are my favorite. Located right on the peninsula, great atmosphere!