“WOW !!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed July 27, 2012

some of the best mexican food we have had in a while. Just wish the al pastor was better. next time we will get the asada (al pastor is usually only good in mexico) the prices were great, and the portions were amazing. very small place, good service. if in the area.. you must try this place out.

Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

Everyone in our group loved Great Mex from my mother-in-law to my 9 month old daughter! The food is delicious. The service is friendly. There's a reason it's always busy! Returned a few times on our trip

Reviewed July 19, 2012

My brother-in-law works at the local post office on the peninsula and meets us regularly for lunch here. Lately, a new item on the menu is a mushroom taco. Sounds strange but it's actually wonderful. I had another today. They make their own jalapeno carrots here and they are the best I have ever tasted. Crunchy, not too vinegary and just the right amount of oregano. Someday, I will have to ask Hugo for the family recipe! I grew up near the border in San Diego and have been experiencing Mexican food for over 50 years, so I can definitely weigh in on this.
The complaint about dinner probably is related to the especially low taco prices on Tuesdays, when throngs of people come to place big orders. It IS a very popular local place and doesn't have a great deal of seating, but you can always take your food out the door and enjoy it at the beach a very short walk away. The cooks are always fast and both service and the food is always very good for us. Enjoy.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

We went here while trying to find a lunch place while driving the PCH. Yelp rated it pretty well so we gave it a try. This is definitely a casual lunch counter-type place (place your order at the table, get your salsa, condiments, etc. at the little cold bar and wait for them to bring out your food while you find a table.). We lucked out and arrived right before the lunch crowd and got one of the last two tables; within 20 minutes there was quite a line. We were a little early so we ordered a combination of breakfast and lunch. First, the chips were good; obviously homemade. A bit salty but a nice change from tostitos. I had one of the breakfast burritos and it was huge as well as tasty. My husband got a taco which he LOVED, a chile relleno which he liked, and some platter which he said was great. The servings are much larger than we expected based on the price.

All in all this was a winner; good Mexican in a casual setting- great for the beach. Oh- from overhearing bits of conversations it was obvious that this is def a place locals go which is always a good sign!

Reviewed February 9, 2012

Based on TripAdvisor reviews, we chose Great MEX for dinner our first night in Newport Beach. I wish that I had seen the Feb. 7 review, though, that describes it as a "hole in the wall." That it is. When we got there, it was packed. Several tables were taken by a group of college-age kids who had obviously eaten there but had been finished for quite a while. There was nowhere to sit, but we were hungry and nothing in the vicinity was open, so we decided to get our food To Go and go back to the hotel. While we were waiting for our order, though, a family group left so we took their table. One of the things we ordered was a large size guacamole with chips. When the food came, they had given us the chips, but no guacamole. Luckily we were eating in instead of back in the hotel, or we would have paid for something we didn't receive.

The food was decent but not spectacular. It's a place for lunch, maybe, but not for dinner.

1  Thank Leslie G