“Nice, Peaceful, tiny”

Best Western Plus Newport Beach Inn
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed September 10, 2009

The Best Western Newport Beach was our four and last stop on our California tour. Renovations to the hotel appear completed. Our room was newly remodeled with updated furniture and HDTV/flat panel TV.

We had a third floor back view 2 queen bed room. I found the room much smaller than expected. (Just came from a HoJo’s in Anaheim with 2 queens and that room was twice the size). To make space with a 3 and 6 year old, we had to moved all our luggage into the closet. The vanity area is kind of in the main room while you do have a enclosed toilet and tub. There is a small refrigerator but there’s no safe in the room. There is free wireless internet access.

The pool area is small but high walled for privacy from the street. I was told by the front desk that if you take a beach view room and are not located on the top floor (4th), you will hear traffic on W Coast Hwy. You also won't have any view of the beach since there's a block houses between the hotel and the beach.

We had one minor issue. We were just leaving for the beach when house cleaning was coming around. However, when we came back from the beach, our room wasn’t made. I caught up to the same cleaning women and ask about our room. She said she could not get to the room (it was around 5pm) because she was the only one working the floor. After asking her to at least change the sheets, towels and garbage, she ended up completing the entire cleaning of the room, (with us in it).

The hotel is a block off the beach located within a residential area. We did find some places to eat but we did have limited choices.

A couple of notes: In this area of Newport Beach, it has no public amenities. If you need to use the restroom, you’re walking back to your room from the beach. Keep in mind, Newport Beach is a WIDE beach, so from water to room can be up to a 10 minute walk. The hotel offered free beach chairs, however if you want an umbrella, it was a $5 fee per. I felt like I just got a peanut and jelly for free except they charged me for the bread.

Had no issues with the guest services, breakfast was your typical continental. It was a small eating area and was always crowded. There are few “Hotels” in this residential area of Newport Beach. The beach crowd was laid back, (peaceful). Plenty of surfers.

If you can live with the limited size room, it’s a nice location for the beach. If you need space, I would reconsider.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Gary O

Reviewed August 24, 2008

Pros: Good service, clean and nice rooms, close to the beach Cons: stinky smelling breakfast room and pretty lame breakfast, the pool is cold

Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed June 7, 2008

This is my second time staying at this location on Newport Beach. This hotel although under renovation stilled displayed the meaning of hospitality! The staff is wonderful, the rooms are clean and the location is great! The hotel is more like a bed n' breakfast then a major chain!

I had the opportunity to stay in a renovated room. The room is well decorated: Flat Screens, modern look with AWESOME BEDS; foam therapeutic mattresses!

Best Western Newport Beach is a great value and a great place to stay while in Newport Beach!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 19, 2008

The rooms were great. It was in the middle of a refurb but this didn't affect us at all. Rooms good size, comfy beds and good size bathroom. Standard Best Western. Fabulous breakfast with all you could want. The only thing we were not impressed with was the location. there is NOTHING NEARBY, We had to buy beers from the supermarket and sti in our room. We couldn't walk to nearby restaurants or bars so this was the only negative. The beach was across the road but we were there in winter (not beach weather). The only reason we would not stay here again is location.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kiwitravelar
Reviewed March 26, 2008

AAA ad said newly renovated. Hotel was in the middle of renovation and did not tell me this so I had the option of finding other lodgings. Arrived Good Friday in a spring break area so no chance of finding a vacancy. According to desk, it always takes 10-15 minutes for water to heat up. Shortened our vacation from 5 to 2 nights and overpaid by a bunch. Attitude of the owners is get the money and run. It is sad because the location is good.

Stayed: March 2008
2  Thank coachSanDiego
Reviewed January 7, 2008

I have stayed here a couple of times before. Everytime has been great - mostly because the staff - always so nice, even went out of their way to get me directions. Nice and small hotel located on pch right across from the beach. SOO nice not to have to deal with parking meters! Breakfast was ok, wish they had more hot breakfast items available - like bacon. Room was very clean and pretty spacious. Hotel is doing some remodling/repairs/etc? so I think I want to come back to see what their doing. They had redone pool but we didnt go in it. I checked around other hotels, i paid a bit more but its worth it for what you get. All in all - great family/business hotel... we will continue to come here for our "weekend getaways" Traveler tip : Try the italian restaurant next door...... DELICIOUS!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 15, 2007

Booked through hotwire for about $50 a night...I found the room to be very large, very clean and with a fantastic bed: one of those "sponge" tempura matresses where you sink into it and it conforms to your body type (memory foam). Never slept in a bed like that before, so it was a pleasant surprise.

The hotel is situated around a minutes drive from Newport Beach, so its very handy for a vacation there. Next door is an Italian resturant that is popular with the locals.

Only one complaint from me: the noise. Sunday night was fine, but Saturday the traffic on that highway was constant. Simple solution: bring some ear plugs if you are sensitive to noise like me. I did bring the plugs, and I slept like a baby then with their aweseome "tempura" matress!

Would I stay here again? Absolutely.

• Stayed: December 2007