“Perfect Beach Hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
North County San Diego
“Perfect Beach Hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

Despite some of the negative reviews on this hotel we took a chance and stayed here. I have to say that we were very pleased. The staff was very accommodating to our special needs. The rooms were clean, as was the pool. The breakfast in the morning was acceptable and fresh. My little girl was so sad to leave BEST WESTERN as this location has direct access to the finest cleanest beach you will want your kids on. In less that 5 minutes after check in we were on the beach! This hotel is 20 minutes away from the Catalina Flyer that takes you to Catalina Island. Truth be told, we could have stayed here one more day and visited Balboa Island instead. We are going back!

Room Tip: Ask for bottom floor if you are a smoker so you can step outside easily and smoke.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Arthur A, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Beach Inn, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Hi
I just read your review and is very pleased to hear that it went well. We strive to make sure that every guests that comes to our hotel gets the highest level of professionalism and service they deserve. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed here last summer, but have only just got round to writing this review, as am planning on returning this summer!
Think it all depends what you want from a hotel, as yes this isn't over the top luxury, but it makes up for it in other areas.
LOCATION! Just a walk across the road to the amazing beach!
Parking is free (some hotels nearby charge a daily rate).
Free breakfast, cereal, toast, waffles, bagels etc.
Cycle hire, which I would thoroughly recommend as the cycle paths across the road running alongside the beach are a fantastic way of getting around and seeing the sights.
Free loan of equipment for the beach ie buckets & spades, chairs etc

We had a room with who double beds it was clean and comfortable overlooking the road, but weren't disturbed by any noise. It wasn't too fancy, but I wasn't there to spend too much time in my room! There was a small gym and a swimming pool with terrace, but we didn't use these.

If you can get a good rate, and you are looking for somewhere close to the beach then I would recommend this great hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank luv2holidayinthesun
Arthur A, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Beach Inn, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
I just read the review and was very glad that you enjoyed your stay. your comments reflect that we are providing a service that has guest like yourself wanting to comeback. We look forward toward your next visit.
Waikiki
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

Location across the street is the beach - you have a light and u don't let your kids cross by them selfs - busy highway - the hotel u know a little worn - the Italian place next door is very good but get it to go u get alot more - bring your bikes u can visit many places - great bike trails from there - I love this place - it's not low end and it's not high end - so go and get out of the room

• Stayed March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Arthur A, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Beach Inn, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
We are very glad when guest like yourself take the time to review their recent stay. This way we know what we are doing right and are doing wrong. With changes in management, it takes time to get everything right. On your next visit you will continue to see our efforts to make every guests stay a memorable one.
Long Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

Surprised & disappointed...location is walkable to beach & close drive to everything however for price I feel we wasted our money. Trash under both beds, sheets smelled clean but gray & stained. Loud street noise kept us up all night. Only a couple "view" rooms the rest look out over scummy buildings and parking lots. Parking is terrible like most in Orange County, breakfast was really good. But wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank trulytracie
Arthur A, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Beach Inn, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
I just read the review and do apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. I will bring these comments to the attention of the appropriate comments so we could take the steps needed to ensure that incidents like this one doesn't happen again. We do hope you will give us another chance to earn your business back.
Eugene, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

This hotel is all about location. There is a beautiful beach within an easy walk. The facilities are just OK and actually a little tired looking. The complimentary breakfast is a nice offering, but otherwise not too much to rave about. Having never stayed here, I was fooled by the person on the phone. She offered us an expensive upgrade to a "Deluxe Ocean View" room. What a joke! We could see a sliver of the ocean across 4 lanes of traffic and 2 rows of multi story homes. I don't like to be "taken" like that and it left me with a bad feeling about this place. To top it off, very uncomfortable bedding and square sleeping pillows. Luckily, we spent most of the time away from the hotel, but they need to stop offering the Ocean View upgrade.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank D H
Arthur A, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Beach Inn, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
I just read your review and on behalf of our hotel team, I do apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. We do emphasize on our sites that we do have partial ocean view room in which you see water and the apartment buildings. I also want the explain that in comparison to the standard deluxe rooms there are differences in size and amenities. This should have been explained. Your feedback is very important because it will help us give our guests the best experience. Once again, we do appreciate your time and patronage and hope you will consider us in the future.
Best Regards,
Santa Clara, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

I am so glad I tried this place just for one nite. The place is somewhat rundown and I did not get in the hotel until late so by the time I saw the linens, it was too late to call room service. The sheets were not changed and has the body marks from previous guests. I pulled the extra blanket provided and even it had stained and need washing.

I had to place towels on top of my pillow and sheets to sleep on. I felt so dirty ...

Here's the worst part, when I checked out, the long blond woman was busy with her personal stuff and finally made eye contact. I expressed to her my disappointment and she could care less. Nothing was said ... not even hello ... not even thank you! Will NEVER ever go back!

Room Tip: Stay away! If I can rate it with negative star, I would ... specially customer service ...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Dovee888
Arthur A, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Beach Inn, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
We do thank you for your candid remarks regarding your recent stay. On behalf of the hotel, we sincerely apologize for the experience you received. The service you experience is not the kind of product we want to put out there. I will share these notes with our departments to implement the steps to ensure that guests like you will never experience this again. If you want to discuss this further, go ahead and either call Angelica our General Manager or myself. We do hope you will consider giving us another chance.
San Diego, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

DO NOT stay at the Best Western Newport Beach Inn. They told us the day we checked out their 'computer were down'. Three months later we still have not received a copy of our bill after several calls and charges on our credit card. Now we are being told they are charging us for parking, which we were told we would not be charged for since we were on the motorcycle. We are also being double charged for our upgrade, which we are told they cant do anything about. DO NOT sign anything until you get a copy of your bill!!! Our credit card co says that because we signed they cant do anything about the charges. It was a nice place to stay, but with the dishonesty going on at this business, we will not be staying again!!! Its too bad really because the location is very nice, we stayed here many times and enjoyed it, but now are wondering what else we were overcharged for. The manager here is totally unreasonable and would not even get on the phone with us to discuss it, he had the girl at the front desk do his dirty work for him. What kind of manager does that??

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Cindy C
Arthur A, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Beach Inn, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
I just read your review and I am disappointed by it. I do apologize that you had issues with the service. It is our job to go over all billing details policy at both check in and check out. I hope you can touch base with me so we could go over the details and come up with a solution. The experience isn't in line with the service we are trying to provide. We will use the feedback to make improvements in our service to ensure incidents like this doesn't happen again.
Arthur A. Adolphson