“Great Hotel and Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Beach Inn

BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Beach Inn
Ranked #13 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Calgary, Canada
“Great Hotel and Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Let me start off by saying this is a great place to stay. The hotel itself is fantastic and has all the amenities you would need. The staff I meet were fantastic and always greeted me with a hello and were very friendly.

Check-in was smooth and I was even given my room early without even asking or expecting it.

My room was clean and comfortable and everything I could have asked for. A nice work desk with internet so I could catch up on some emails. A nice Flat screen TV with lots of channels. The bathroom was clean and everything worked just fine. The air conditioner kept my room very comfortable. The fridge in the room was a nice touch.

The business center is available if you do not have a computer or need to use the printer. Everything worked great.

There is a stocked fridge and snack bar in the front by the check-in desk in case you would like a snack or drink to charge to your room.

The FREE breakfast in the morning is fabulous. Coffee, juice, Cereal, muffins and pastries, and fruit. The waffles are to die for. Everything you would need to start your day. Even a great good morning and welcome from the lady that ran the breakfast area. She was the best staff member I meet while I was there.

Then on my last day I decided to grab a sandwich and a beer and sit out by the pool. Well there are lots of places to sit and relax and get some sun. The pool however is filthy; there was garbage, bugs, and enough sand to build a castle. I’m not sure why every other part of this hotel is immaculate and the pool is neglected. Not that you need a pool when you are just a few steps from the beach. If you are going to have a pool and lounge chairs then you better keep it as clean as your hotel.

Great restaurants in the area that I really enjoyed is the Big Belly Deli which serves great sandwiches and pizza. Spaghetti Bender has great pasta. Both are in walking distance just next to the hotel.

Room Tip: Not a lot of parking and tight. I recoment backing into stall. Go to the beach for a swim or sun ta...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rod H, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Beach Inn, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
We wish all travelers took as much time as you did when writing a review of our hotel. Your honesty about everything good, not so good and poor (pool area) is greatly appreciated. Our hope is that you will return to visit us soon on your next trip to Newport Beach.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Kitimat, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Very good rating due to location and the attitude of staff. Really very helpful and the location is perfect for just booting around. Yes, it`can be noisy...rooms are mostly road facing, so ask for a side or back room, perhaps. The pool is good, windows open..yayyy...good food place right next door. We didn't utilize the exercise area, so cannot comment. I hate paying 5 bux for parking....but free Internet.

Room Tip: Ask for a non-street`facing room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Rod H, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Beach Inn, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
WOW! What a great review! Thanks for utilizing TripAdvisor to leave your feedback. We're sure glad you had an enjoyable stay with us and we hope you will visit us again soon!
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

After looking over many reviews, I chose this hotel. Unfortunately, this hotel did not come close to my expectations. First, they do not have anything close to an ocean view. Maybe two of their rooms can see water by peeking between the two rows of buildings across the street. Second, they do not have parking. They claim to have parking for $5 per room...but they do not have enough spaces for all their rooms. If you go out to dinner in Newport (which is not nearby, you must drive to) and all the parking spaces are taken when you return, they in no uncertain terms tell you "you are out of luck". They do offer a refund of your $5, but do not help you find a parking spot. Pretty much ruined our experience. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms DO NOT EXIST!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

3 Thank taytayalis
Rod H, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Beach Inn, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
We are sorry that you were disappointed with your stay here at our hotel. Our goal is to exceed all of our guests' expectations. Parking can definitely be a challenge in Newport Beach and we try our best to control it. As far as the view goes, we wish it had been better for you.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

If you have read any of my reviews you know that I'm very picky and all my hotel stays must pass the 3's test for quality standard. (Smell, Sound, Sleep) This hotel ranks unusually high for a small west coast hotel. Situated literally on the coast, (Pacific Coast Hiway), you'd expect a musty moldy smell. I couldn't detect any at this facility. Parking is a bit of a hassel. But that's to be expected in this area of California. Staff are courteous and laid back - typical California low key. They have installed new carpets which is good, and the floors don't have any stains (at least in my room). Easy side door come and go access. The breakfast bar is very basic so don't expect much other than fruit & toast. This hotel is underrated for the area.

I was greeted warmly, treated kindly, and slept well in a quite room that didn't smell. The price is reasonable for the area. ($100/night) I'd stay there again. Enough said. Non Smoking. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the east side overlooking the parking lot.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank racerd0g
BWNBINN, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Beach Inn, responded to this review, October 7, 2012
We can't thank you enough for your kind words on TripAdvisor. The entire staff is pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to your next visit with us. Your feedback about parking and breakfast has been noted and we appreciate you taking the time to write this review for us.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We had another fantastic stay at BWNBI. I've lost track now as to how many times we've visited and will continue to make this hotel our home base for all the fun activities in SoCal. Great staff, great hotel, great places to eat nearby and the beach across the street. See you all next time!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Solful1
BWNBINN, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Beach Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
On behalf of the entire team, a big THANK YOU for your kind review here on TripAdvisor. We all appreciate hearing such nice words from our guests, and we value your business. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Newport Beach!
Long Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

Nice small hotel, 2-3 short blocks from the beach. Staff was helpful (Maurice), lending out beach chairs and towels free of charge. Continental breakfast was just as expected with a super-nice tornado of a woman (name?) working the waffle station and quickly getting people in and out quickly and with full stomachs. Bikes available for rental. Make sure you get your sandwiches and snacks from the Big Belly Deli next door. We stayed here 2 nights, and spent a day on the beach, went 4 miles to the north to Huntington Beach for the pier and shopping. Parking was $5 a day, which was a bargain in these beach towns. Would definitely stay here again. Price was right compared to other hotels in the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jamiealisaNY
BWNBINN, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Beach Inn, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Hello,
On behalf of our hotel, we appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay. We are very glad you find your stay enjoyable. Brenda our breakfast lady will be very glad to hear about your comments. We look forward toward your next visit.
Arthur A Adolphson
Night Audit Manager
BW Newport Beach Inn.
Vacaville CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

We booked a room through expedia for one night the middle of august which cost more then a room at one of the Disneyland resort hotels. We were told through expedia that the room would accomodate a family of 5. We were supposed to have two queens and a sleeper sofa.And, a partial view of the ocean.
We were greeted by a young man who must have a had a long shift because I heard him tell someone else that he was getting major overtime. He seemed nice enough, checked us in. When we went to the third floor with our luggage,there were only two beds.
I went back down stairs, showed the young man our paperwork that showed three beds and he said our rooms only accomodate 4. we have a few rooms with a sofa sleeper but they only have king beds in them and we have no other rooms available. He said he could do a refund, but I would have to go through expedia.
I called Expedia, they say that on their information page the hotel lists for 5 guests. Now being 6pm, not knowing the area and it only being for one night we stayed, knowing someone would be sleeping on the floor.
I went back down, asked for extra pillows and blankets, I was told they would be right up. After 3 requests and 3 hours later..I went back down and waited for them.
The Partial ocean view is right on. There are a bunch of houses infront of the beach. There is a small opening in between to get to the beach and that is your ocean view.
About ten minutes after we got in the room someone knocked on the door and said he needed t fix something in the bathroom it was leaking downstairs. He was hard to understand.
The pool is very small and appeared to have sand on the bottom.
The area looked safe. The room looks like it is cleaned quickly, sides of cabinets have water residue. Behind trash cans dust etc.
The elevator clunked hard when you went down to the bottom floor. We just used the stairs.
In the morning the same attendant was there. He did say he did get to go home at some point.
The lady who worked the breakfast area was very nice.
The room was quite small. About 3 table maybe of 3 and a counter area that fit 4. A few people who came in left because of the lack of tables. She was even asking people who were already eating if they would mind combinding tables so other famalies could sit. It was a bit ackward and most just finished up and left.
I did not try the waffles because of the lack of room. I grabbed a boiled egg and bananna and left.
They add a parking charge of $5. a night when I checked my account it showed they took $50. and then added $45..I only add this because other reviews say to watch charges.
We chose this room because it was located next to the beach and was supposed to fit a family of 5. We had planned to stay the day there..but checked out and before 9am to get out of there.
As we were driving we saw a lot of hotels more in town that were much nicer and cost a whole lot less according to the web sites. There is a lot of parking near the beach.. Next time we will stay at one of those and drive to the beach for the day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Crsty
BWNBINN, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Newport Beach Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Hello,
I want to thank for taking the time to review your recent stay. On behalf of the hotel, we do apologize for not exceeding your expectations. We will review your comments with the team and take the necessary steps to improve. We do hope you will consider us in the future.
Arthur AAdolphson