I do not think "RESORT" is a fitting tag for this place. I was Orange County by invitation from a college sorority sister whose company was staying there the week of July 19-24, 2010
Nice inconspicuous property with nice views of the water and sunsets, but it simply is not what you'd come to expect when they use "waterfront resort” as a tag line.
It is VERY low-key, which is not necessarily a problem, but if you're expecting the typical resort atmosphere and amenities, you will be disappointed. The resort is far smaller than I had envisioned and definitely a "sleepier" type of place. I suppose the atmosphere is in keeping with the general feel of the block it is located on. The resort is next door to a shared apartment complex, which one of the valets later told me is mostly occupied by retirees.
There are no tennis courts, no nearby golf courses, the small beach on the resort is for the apartment residents only and although they have a very small guest work-out room, the other and more desirable fitness center is on the apartment side and is available, but for an additional charge. The Spa is located on the apartment side as well. The pool is a great size but while we were there, an employee was giving swimming lesson to kids which meant half of the pool was being used.
The hotel offers only one restaurant, which is fine dining for breakfast lunch and dinner, so it’s not the best place to dine if you’re wearing a sarong. We asked the valets where to go that didn’t have a STRICT DRESS CODE and we ended up walking down the street to what he called “restaurant row”. The resort bar provides nightly lounge music, but the performers and music are dated and the atmosphere is so dark you can’t even read the menu. The property basically stops "breathing" by 8:30-9:00 pm, so if you are expecting any late night activities, head on down the road once again to restaurant row or to the nearby shopping center
The staff overall, met expectations but Jenna at the front desk, was extremely nice, professional and always extended a warm greeting when passing by her. The valet parking staff was friendly enough, all things considered, and there was no problem retrieving our car at a moment's notice - although at $28/day, they SHOULD be attentive to your needs. Only bad service was getting our bags dropped to our room; that took over 40 minutes. The rooms themselves were decently appointed in this Bombay Wicker Style. They were average with the exception of the extremely comfy beds and the balconies that offered pleasant views of the water. I really didn’t care for the boats moored on the docks. The bathrooms were a nice size with a roomy shower and deep bathtub. The double vanity was nice but the sinks were extremely slow to drain. I made a complaint to a housekeeper but she didn’t quite understand me, so I called the front desk and that resulted in zero resolution. The other problem we had was trying to slide open the shutter styled doors that led to the water view patio. And the curtains in the room don’t fully close. They’re merely floral drape accent pieces. That was the first hotel room I’ve stayed in where you couldn’t close the curtains!!
In closing, I stayed two days and had a blast with my college sister, but was mildly disappointed with the resort. Maybe a remodel with a modern splash, serious attention to detail in the little things, more on site activities and dining options and the vibe in this place could be livelier! Or maybe I’ll live my retirement years here!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience life and style that's perfectly balanced at the Balboa Bay Resort. A boutique ambiance combined with plush accommodations, sophisticated and personalized service, gourmet dining and unparallel location close to scenic beaches, nearby world-class shopping, restaurants and award winning designed golf courses make it the perfect destination for those seeking the quintessential Southern California lifestyle experience. Whether you're planning a romantic weekend getaway, a large-scale business function, or the wedding of your dreams, the Balboa Bay Resort offers unparalleled services and amenities to suit a variety of needs. Located on 15 waterfront acres in the heart of Newport Beach, halfway between Los Angeles and San Diego, the four-diamond property sprawls along the bay like a meandering Mediterranean villa. **Please note that starting Friday, November 6 through Thursday, January 7, 2016, the resort will begin a very exciting and highly anticipated guest room enhancement project. Each guest room will be updated with fresh, modern and contemporary furnishings including carpet, wall coverings, furniture and fixtures, along with a select number of rooms which will receive reconfigured bathrooms. We anticipate the noise level to be slightly higher than normal during the hours of 9 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday. Please be assured that your guest room will be far removed from the area of work so you can fully enjoy your time with us and delight in a quintessential Southern California lifestyle experience.** ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Balboa Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Balboa Bay Club Hotel Newport Beach
- The Balboa Bay Club And Resort
- The Balboa Bay Hotel
- The Balboa Bay Resort
- Balboa Bay Club