“Good Hotel Nice Location”
Review of Balboa Bay Resort

Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Booked here at last minute Pleasant 2day stay.Room a good size and beds very comfortable.Facilities in room very good especially the provision of an empty fridge.Room serviced quickly and staff helpful and pleasant.Emily on concierge desk especially so.Pool very pleasant if a little cold.Definitely a swimmers pool not a fun pool!Would recommend .Only downside is that there is not a beach for all guests only those in suites!

Room Tip: View of the pool rooms pleasant
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
GuestRelations M, General Manager at Balboa Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Dear Sarah D- I appreciate your thoughts from your recent stay. Thank you very much for all of your feedback. Although the Balboa Bay Resort is located along the coastline of Newport Beach, we are just a short distance from the beach - which I truly hope you have the opportunity to experience on your next visit. The beach located next to our resort is for the Balboa Bay Club membership guests. I hope this offers some clarification. Again, thank you for your review. I will also share your kind words with Emily from our concierge desk!

Reviewed July 16, 2014

We just returned from a great stay at Balboa Bay Resort over the July 4th weekend. The excellence of the resort is directly related to the professionalism and warmth of its employees. Particularly outstanding and helpful were Steve Labrador, Andre (no last name) and Ian in the restaurant. They are real assets and ought to be recognized as such. Although we live in Boston and typically take winter vacation in Florida, we will be returning to BBR and the Newport Beach area instead thanks to our recent experience there. Bill & Maria from Boston

2  Thank William B

Dear William B- Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent visit. It is truly an honor to hear specific feedback about our staff. I acknowledge that our team works hard to provide exceptional service to our guests- but it offers a special incentive when our guests reach out to share their feedback, so thank you. I will personally thank Steve, Andre and Ian. It will be wonderful to welcome you back to our resort for your next trip! Welcome to the Balboa Bay Resort family.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Let me start by saying the staff was fabulous ... valet, managers, wait staff, desk clerks

The negatives:
Impossible to get reservations on the phone if calling from the outside. I tried several times.
1st room was shabby ... frayed bedding and carpet. Manager found another room for me that was 100% better. She walked me up to it afterward to make sure it was acceptable.
Lots of remodeling has been done and the hotel is lovely. I understand the rooms will be refurbished in the Fall - as I was told by their new Operations Manager. I hope they include new plush towels in the guest bathrooms as the current ones are gym quality.
The food in the restaurants and little snack shop were not very good. In particular, the A+O restaurant is heavy on fatty, greasy foods. Upscale California beach culture calls for healthy, fresh, clean foods, not heavy fries, fried chicken, cheesy, starchy foods. At least there should be healthy options. Another family commented to me that they found the food fattening and the menu unappealing. Another friend found the menu 'made no sense.'
The gym was filthy. The machines were dirty, as were the floor and mats. The Lysol wipes were empty as was the hand sanitizer. No excuse for this. Bottled water would have been nice since they offer it to guests free of charge in their rooms.
Valet parking was quick and the staff was friendly and helpful.
It's a beautiful location and will be much improved when the renovations are complete.

Room Tip: PCH on one side: probably noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Madeline F
GuestRelations M, General Manager at Balboa Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Dear Madeline F- Thank you for providing detailed accounts of your stay. I have met with Casey, our Director of Operations, to discuss your feedback. We are very concerned you found our gym less than acceptable. We pride ourselves on cleanliness. Your review gives us the opportunity to learn where faltered where we normally excel. Again, thank you for your time and hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Truly,

Reviewed July 8, 2014

I was going to let go the mildew on the tub-shower ceiling because they were really helpful in cleaning it up as soon as we told them. However, it shouldn´t have been there in the first place. I decided to write about it because we left the hotel this morning at 8 a.m., didn´t return until 1:30 p.m., and..... guess what? The room had not been touched! Now, it has to stay untouched today because my husband is very tired and has to rest. This hotel is not so absolutely huge that they have not had time to clean up. Good management would have kept an eye on our room since we had to complain about the mildew. It is a shame I had to write this review because the hotel is very nice. The restaurant has good food and good service. Oh, another annoying thing is the valet parking. It costs $28 for overnight! They have self-parking but, don´t think it´s a nominal cost. It is $18 overnight and you have to walk a considerable distance to get to the hotel entrance. Not acceptable.

4  Thank intertrans
GuestRelations M, General Manager at Balboa Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Dear ntertrans- Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay. I am confident that our housekeeping department and their management team meets and exceeds thousands of guest expectations every time they visit. Please accept my sincere apologies you were not met with this same exceptional service. Your review is extremely valuable and I will certainly address with the team. I hope we have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future to give you a flawless experience.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

My husband and I just returned from our staycay at the BBC. We have been coming to the resort for over 25 years. We loved all the new decor, vibrant & fresh and the Waterline Resaurant was off the charts good! What we will remember the most Andre Angles and his staff Patrick, Martha & Jesus. Living is SoCal our choices of 5 star options is plentifull, they knocked it out of the park!

Room Tip: Room overlooking the bay and the members pool GORGEOUS
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
GuestRelations M, General Manager at Balboa Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Dear wenludas- Thank you very much for your kind review. It is an absolutely pleasure to have the opportunity to welcome you time and time again as part of our Balboa Bay Resort family. I will certainly share your review with the team. Again, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your time with us.

Reviewed July 1, 2014

I have now visited this hotel twice, once in December to watch the Newport Beach Boat Parade go sailing by the beautiful outdoor patio of the hotel and recently in June to celebrate my husband's birthday. In winter the hotel is decorated to the nines with garland, poinsettias and a beautiful gingerbread house and in summer it is clean, fresh and surrounded by warm weather. The hotel staff is great! Always ready to help or answer questions, the location is convenient to everything, wonderful restaurants are everywhere but the rooms are so big, clean and inviting you may not want to go anywhere but just stay and relax!

Room Tip: Rooms on the top floor are quietest. We had a heavy walker above us once on the second floor but di...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mercedes V
GuestRelations M, General Manager at Balboa Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Dear Mercedes V- First and foremost, thank you for choosing our resort for your husband's birthday celebration. We understand that these type of events are important and we are honored to have you. Thank you very much for all of your feedback, I truly appreciate your kind words, and 5-star review. I will certainly share your review with the entire team. Please come back down South from Hermosa and visit us again soon!

Reviewed June 30, 2014

I loved our stay at the Balboa Bay Resort. Our courtyard, pool view room had a balcony. It was nice to sit and relax. The tv, bed, and decor was nice. I liked all the granite used to make the room feel like home. We had appetizers and drinks at the new restaurant, A&O. It was outstanding!! Not only was the food excellent, but the service as well. The hotel is close to shopping and any other nightlife on the marina. We had a wonderful time.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
GuestRelations M, Guest Relations Manager at Balboa Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2014

Dear mchatt92,

I was very pleased to read that your stay at the Balboa Bay Resort exceeded your expectations in every way. Thank you for compliments regarding our guest rooms, our new restaurant A&O, and the service provided by our team. I hope in the future the Balboa Bay Resort will be your weekend getaway when you visit Newport Beach.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport Beach
The Resort at Pelican Hill
The Resort at Pelican Hill
#5 of 18 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
#1 of 18 in Newport Beach

Been to Balboa Bay Resort? Share your experiences!