“Stuffy atmostphere”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Ashburn
“Stuffy atmostphere”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Balboa Bay Resort. Not very welcoming to outsiders, although the room was large and spacious, overlooking a pool. Overall, the resort is lovely. We also could not escape the jazz music, even poolside. If I had gray hair and no love for blue jeans, maybe we would have enjoyed the stay. We ate out for all of our meals.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Laura S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We travelled with friends in October to Newport Beach. Our original room was classified "Deluxe". It overlooked the parking lot and a busy road. We chose to upgrade to a room in the club section overlooking the pool and it was a good decision. Our friends were on the 3rd floor in the main building and apparently their room was very noisy. Our room was beautifully appointed and the bed was exceptionally confortable. We breakfasted each morning on the patio at the restaurant and the food was good. What I continue to be surprised about is that many of the 5* hotels that I have stayed at recently in the US have removed the turndown service as a cost cutting measure. When checking into a hotel of this calibre, I expect turndown service. Apparently this service is now by request only! When I asked the Receptionist about this, his attitude was less than accommodating. After requesting the service on the first morning, we again did not get turndown service that evening. Again I asked the Front Desk what had happened and I received a flippent "Sorry, I wrote it in the book and I can't do anything about it." Not cool nor the kind of response I would have expected.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the second floor of the main building or if you can afford to upgrade to a club...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Richard S, Manager at Balboa Bay Resort, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
We were delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us, and wanted to apologize for the turndown issue you encountered. We are addressing this issue to ensure that turndown service is indeed provided upon request. Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Balboa Bay Club & Resort.
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Very clean place. Large rooms. Excellent location . Great service.We had a problem with our room & they took care of it in a great professional way . I definitely recommend this place if I'm in the area again.

• Stayed October 2012
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Surprised my wife by having an over night stay here. WOW! They surprised me by giving us the best room possible with a wonderful view! Thank you too everyone who works there. This was the best hotel for anyone that is looking to relax and have a great evening. We will be back!

Room Tip: The couples message was great!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My girlfriend and I take a girls trip once a year. We normally go to the Four Seasons in Scottsdale, but decided to try something different. Our trips are about laying at the pool and just relaxing. The pool was not what we expected. This resort is also a work out facility for the locals. So as we laid at the pool people would come and go after doing their laps. The pool was not a resort type pool. I also wanted beverage service at the pool and went to the bar inside the hotel and requested pool beverages. I was told to make a request at the front desk. I did. No service ever arrived. I saw a pool attendent walk by and I asked for beverage service and was told to use the room service phone located near the pool. I did. After that the service was no problem. The food was just okay. We went to the bar for dinner one night and the service was fine but the food was not worth the price. The rooms appear nice upon arrival, but as you stay you notice the carpet is filthy. I wear socks when I stay in hotels and my socks were nasty by the time I left. The hotel isn't a five star quality in my opinion. Often after the room was cleaned the maid would not have picked up used glasses. The valet parking was friendly and quick. If I were to stay at Newport Beach again I wouldn't stay here. It isn't a horrible hotel, just not worth the amount of money it charges and not five star.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank debging
Richard S, Manager at Balboa Bay Resort, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Thank you for your detailed review regarding your stay with us. Although you were able to order pool service by using the pool phone, I apologize that you were incorrectly directed (we do have servers located in the pool area during the peak summer months) and we will be reviewing our current procedure. Your observations have all been noted and will be addressed wherever possible. Thank you again for your feedback!
Reviewed October 14, 2012

checked in on Fri. at 1 PM. found I was assigned a handicapped room and asked to be changed since I was not informed of this at check in. Was told they were over committed. No CAll back. My clothes were dragging the ground and was very difficult to get in and out of the tub for a shower. Just a horrible room! Went to the First Cabin for lunch. After a 20 min. wait I asked the manager if I could order. Lunch was fine but again had to chase the waiter down for my check. A genral lack of service and over rated for the price!!!

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Reta W
Richard S, Manager at Balboa Bay Resort, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
I apologize for the inconvenience caused by your room assignment. Handicap accessible rooms are a requirement for all hotels and when we are fully committed, these rooms will often be allocated to guests who do not require these particular facilities. It was an oversight on our part that no explanation was provided upon check-in and I apologize that we did not communicate this to you.
Our intention is always to provide timely, excellent service and I was very disappointed to hear that this was not the case with your lunch. I am sorry that you had to ask to order, instead of receiving attention from your server, and I would like to assure you that this matter is currently being addressed with the First Cabin staff.
If you would like to discuss this in person, please do not hesitate to contact me at 949-630-4205.
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My son got married at Balboa Bay last weekend. All of our out of town guests stayed there. They all raved about the hotel.

Upon arrival, the valet team was professional and efficient. The check in was flawless and the staff was extremely friendly.

The bed in the room was very comfortable and the bathrooms were quite large, with an awesome bathtub that you could actually use comfortably with a great shower head. I had one breakfast at the hotel, overlooking the yachts...the service was awesome and the food reasonably priced and high quality. We also had a brunch on Sunday at the hotel. The view was magnificant and the food was wonderful. I would return to Balboa Bay in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: upgrade to a bayside view or pool view, otherwise you overlook the parking valet area.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
The Resort at Pelican Hill
The Resort at Pelican Hill
#5 of 17 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach

Been to Balboa Bay Resort? Share your experiences!