“GREAT STAY FOR WHOLE FAMILY!!!”
Review of Balboa Bay Resort

Balboa Bay Resort
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Westlake Village, California
“GREAT STAY FOR WHOLE FAMILY!!!”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

Our trip to BBC was over the 4th of July with our 9 yr. old daughter. We arrived early (12noon) and were surprised that our room was ready for check-in....we opened the door to our bayview room and were greeted by an amazing view of the water!! The room was exceptionally clean and well accomodated. At one point, there was an odor of oil coming from a vent in the room...we reported to the desk staff and it was rectified and fixed within 5 minutes. We wetre also told if we prefered we could change rooms but that was not necessary. We dined in The First Cabin the first night there and were treated to a beatiful dessert personalized for our 8th Anniversary!! My daughter was thrilled! The next day ( July 4th) we were able to sit on our room's patio and see the amazing boat parade go by right outside. We spent 2 hours taking a duffy boat from the hotel and cruising around Balboa Island...of course, we had room service deliver our dinner to the boat...which was a real treat! Later the concierge staff told us of a great place to view the fireworks and we were there and parked within 5 minutes.
I was a bit skeptical about bringing a child to BBC but it was wonderful! The staff was great with kids and she had a fabulous time!!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone and hope to go back next year at the same time!!!

Room Tip: Spacious rooms....Amazing beds... slept really well:)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Beautiful resort located on Newport Harbor and within walking distance to restaurants and shops. Rooms were lovely with comfortable beds and large bathrooms with plenty of water pressure. Front desk, valet, room service and maid service are outstanding and friendly. First Cabin and more casual Duke's restaurants both have amazing views. The food at First Cabin is very good and you can use the first cabin menu in Dukes which has a limited menu. Bikes, Duffy boats, paddle boards and kayaks can be rented at the resort. Based on the location and resort amenities, I think the rates are very reasonable. I can't think of any other hotels in Newport Beach actually located on the water. A real treat.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We went and stayed at the Balboa Bay Club for my friend's birthday celebration and were not terribly impressed. We booked a "standard room" and were not clear that meant a view of a parking lot and a busy street. It was probably one of the worst hotel views I have ever seen. There was a ton of street noise and a view of a parking lot so we asked to be moved, which at first they were not willing to do, but after I spoke with management they eventually acquiesced. There were also ripped and stained blankets on the bed (room 242 I believe). If they had kept us in that room, I would have only rated this hotel only one star. Thank goodness they moved us to a room overlooking the front entrance view, which at least had less street noise and decent blankets.

We went down to the pool and were surprised that there was no poolside service and that if you wanted to be served, you had to go find a special phone to call room service.

When we got back to the room, the hotel had sent up balloons for my friend's birthday. That would have been a nice touch had the balloons said "happy birthday" instead of "happy anniversary."

The two redeeming qualities about this hotel were:

1) They are across the street from Pizza Mozza which was an outstanding restaurant that I highly recommend and made the trip worthwhile
2) They had some great jazz playing at the bar downstairs on Saturday evening

If you are a looking for a great experience in Newport, I would not recommend going out of your way to visit this hotel. There was nothing remarkable about it.

Room Tip: Do not choose a standard room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JenHillJHCCS
Pasadena, California
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I hosted a party for friends there and arranged for out of town guests to stay the night at the hotel. We were delighted with every detail! Catering dept was first class...food was excellent...valet was amazing...rooms were so beautiful and luxurious...We Loved It!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lynn279
Dayton, Ohio, United States
Reviewed June 26, 2012

We loved our stay at The Balboa Bay Club & Resort. The front drop off driveway could be a bit busy at times but we never had to wait too long for valet service. Room and bathroom exceeded our expectation. Housekeeping staff did an excellent job cleaning the room in a timely fashion. The view was spectacular; we enjoyed the yachts right outside the back door. Great pool areas and friendly staff are added bonuses. We will return to this resort in the future and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Saint Robert, Missouri
Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed here for two nights with my boyfriend for my sister's wedding in May. I ended up paying about $350/night for a bay view room. Upon entering the room, I was greeted with the view of a barge. It made the location feel like I was in some industrial town. Apparently there was nothing the hotel could do about the barge obstructing the view of the bay, so the barge hung outside for the duration of my stay. Plus, I couldn't exchange rooms because the barge was every bay view's view. My sister, who also stayed in a bay view room specifically for wedding pictures, had to talk to the desk for a bit to try and change her room. After she got a response, they were able to move her to the adjacent building. Her new room overlooked the bay and a swimming pool, which seemed kinda loud with all the kids hanging outside downstairs. It wasn't the tranquil stay that I was hoping for. The room itself was very nice and fancy. There's a tub and a separate shower (drain was kinda clogged). When I drove up to the hotel entrance, they said the self-parking was full and it seemed like I wasn't given an option anyway before my keys were taken. The self-parking lot wasn't easy to spot, as the signs are tiny (it's on your left as you turn into the hotel entrance). I mainly forked out $$$ for the occasion to relax, but the bay view didn't turn out to be too relaxing. View was not spectacular. If I stayed here again, I would not pay extra for the bay view. Prices are super expensive and I would rather choose a decent hotel not overlooking the bay for a better bargain and experience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Of course the accommodations were spectacular, but what was even more amazing was the friendly, professional and curtious staff!

• Stayed July 2011
The Resort at Pelican Hill
The Resort at Pelican Hill
#5 of 17 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Marriott's Newport Coast Villas

Been to Balboa Bay Resort? Share your experiences!