“OVERNIGHT ONLY BUT IMPRESSED”

Island Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
London, United Kingdom
“OVERNIGHT ONLY BUT IMPRESSED”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Stayed one night, no daytime, and was impressed by the cleaniness and the staff, all of whom were most impressive. Courteous and efficient.

Room service was excellent as was the laundry service.

Cannot say much else as only there for 8 hours but felt compelled to give a good mentions as deserved.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank WFN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Arabic first
Colorado
Reviewed April 19, 2014

3 nights in 721 overlooking the Island Mall which is a short walk away with shopping and many restaurants. Room was clean, quiet and well cared for, with a small walkout balcony. Wish every hotel had this feature. Hotel was under remodel so can't comment on other amenities. Staff was very helpful. Highly recommended. Standard complaint about WiFi being an added cost.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank cooncat123
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed April 18, 2014

My wife and I attended the annual Pacific Symphony Wine Festival a yearly event held at the hotel. We live locally, have been to countless events as well as dined at the hotel on numerous occasions.

The valet greeted us with a ballpoint pen in hand, wrote down our name on the slip and parked the car. The following day I discovered a two-inch ballpoint pen mark (see photo) on the leather of my MB CLS 550.

I phoned the hotel immediately and was told to leave a message, which I did with David Wang. Two days later, after not hearing back, I called again and was referred to security. Again I left a message. Someone from hotel security returned my call and proceed to ask numerous, detailed questions about me and my vehicle. David Wang phoned a couple days later and asked me to bring my car by the hotel. I informed him that doing so was inconvenient and instead suggested I would send a photo of the damage which he agreed to. Within two hours, before I was able to send a photo, I received a pre-recorded voice message from ABM Parking Services saying that my claim had been denied.

Left with no other choice and at considerable inconvenience, I returned to the hotel to relay my discontent. After waiting 20 minutes, I spoke with a manager on duty who, after seeing the damage, apologized and told me that David Wang would contact me the following day to take care of it. David followed up with an email, to which I responded with a phone call that was never returned.

I ended up paying to have the car detailed and the pen mark removed. The Island Hotel’s service just isn’t what it used to be. With so many other world-class properties in the neighborhood, look elsewhere for your hotel, dining, and events needs. The Ritz Carlton, St. Regis, Pelican Resort and Montage Hotel are far superior choices.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
8 Thank SBRnewport
DieterHissin, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to post your comments here. I understand your frustration with your recent experience at Island Hotel and want to extend my sincere apologies for the events that occurred after your departure from the charity event on March 1. It is unfortunate to read that this situation was not addressed and immediately amended, and I assure you have taken the time to speak with David and our team.

With a contracted valet company such as ABS, we are unable to inquire about or handle any of the claims that are directly submitted to their staff. At the time you contacted our team to make this issue known, we were unaware that a claim had already been submitted. It was our intent and our goal to rectify this unfortunate situation with you directly, allowing you to avoid the trouble of a denied claim from ABS. In speaking with David, I understand that an offer was made available to you for a complimentary professional detailing service, but our follow up calls and offers to schedule an appointment for you were without reply.

At Island Hotel, we pride ourselves on providing a top-notch customer service and a Five-Diamond experience for each of our guests, whether they are visiting for the night or staying overnight. If there is a moment where we regrettably miss the mark, we want to take every step to correct this situation for our guests. I understand you have already taken the time to have the pen mark removed, but would like the opportunity to speak with you further so we can regain your trust as a hotel. I will provide my contact details to you in a private message and invite you to call me at your convenience.

Once again, thank you for taking a moment to post your thoughts here.

Kind regards,

Dieter Hissin
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Ontario
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We had to book a hotel last minute as we had a funeral to attend in Newport Beach. The hotel is under construction at the moment, but the hotel staff will go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and not disturbed. They were so kind and very apologetic that the pool wasn't available for the kids. The manager on duty Daniel was very attentive to our needs and was so understanding. This is what makes the hotel - the staff. I cannot tell you how much more he made our trip (which was a sad one) more enjoyable. The housekeeping is amazing! The beds are super comfortable and you really can't ask for much more. The bellman, valet, front desk are all equally as polite and professional. Thank you to all the staff at the Island Hotel!! Keep up the great work.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lovetoskibc
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed April 14, 2014

After a 16 hour international flight, this hotel welcomed us in style. We were concerned about the construction - which is still going on - but we were never inconvenienced by it, nor affected by the noise. We asked for a room away from the construction and they honored the request. We were given complementary access to the "Club" on the 20th floor, and it was very relaxing in the evening and a good continental breakfast in the AM (with machine lattes). We did eat in the Cafe, and it wasn't great, but I think the location is temporary until construction is completed.

- We had to do some business from the hotel and the staff were more than helpful.
- I appreciate bathroom rugs!

We have already decided that this place is worth while staying at again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from construction until it is complete in June 2014.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
San Diego
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Came up to Newport for an event and decided to stay for the night. We found the hotel to be very centrally located. The staff was very friendly and accommodating and the room was great. We were on the back side so didn't have a view which didn't matter to us since it was a quick overnight but I did hear that one side of the Hotel has nice views. The hotel is right across the street from Fashion Island so would be a perfect place to stay for a "Girls Get Out Of Town Shopping Trip". We left our car in valet and Ubered around Newport. Nothing was very far at all. It is my understanding that it used to be a Four Seasons and you can tell. They are doing construction but I didn't find it bad. They have set up a nice little makeshift bar and offer a nice morning coffee service is the lobby.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

A great hotel and preferable to the Marriott in the area. Rooms are modern and clean and spacious. Bed is comfortable and good facilities. The service is good and attentive. Location is great for the offices of Newport Beach and fashion island shopping centre.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business