“Not the Same Service”

Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I've been staying at the Island Hotel for years and I'm disappointed that their service levels have diminished. First, you won't see anything on their website that tells you their lobby is under construction and, therefore, their restaurant is closed down and their bar is 5 bar stools lined up at the end of their registration desk. Upon check in when I inquired about the constructions, I couldn't have been treated more rudely. When I asked if I could get access to the club level for a meeting, the desk clerk just snarled at me. I don't think I'll be returning.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank RzTraveling
DieterHissin, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

I appreciate you taking a moment to post your feedback here. At Island Hotel, we truly value our guests’ experience and strive to make every stay as comfortable and memorable as possible. I am disappointed to read that your recent stay did not meet your expectations and our goal s and want to apologize that your experience missed the mark. Rest assured, I have taken the time to share your thoughts with our management team.

I would like to take the time to speak with you in more detail about your experience, so we may improve upon our service levels throughout the hotel. I will provide my contact details to you separately in a private message and look forward to the opportunity to speak with you soon.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

We've been staying at this hotel about 4 times a year since it opened as a Four Seasons. It is the nicest hotel around the Fashion Island/Newport Beach area. Sad to say, but over the years, there is a steady decline in the service, quality of room furnishings and cleanliness. It's just not the same. This particular trip, the restaurant and bar area were closed for renovations. Also the pool was closed and there were a few customers who were very angry about that. It's time to start renovating the rooms, brush up on service skills and maid service. It's really not the 5 star property that is advertised, but compared to the older Marriotts in the area, it's the nicest hotel. By the way, if you book on Hotwire, this is the only 5 star property in Newport Beach that we've found on the service.

Room Tip: Go higher up so you do not hear the weddings and construction.
3  Thank laplume9254
DieterHissin, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts about your stay at Island Hotel. We appreciate your feedback, especially knowing you have been a loyal guest of ours for many years.

We agree that our guests deserve a refresh, and I’m delighted to tell you that over the next few months, our rooms and suites will be revitalized with new furnishings, bright colors and modern designs. As one of only two Five Diamond hotels in Newport Beach, we are committed to providing exceptional customer service and want our accommodations to be commensurable with our standards across the hotel. Reinvigorating our guest rooms is part of an all-encompassing reinvestment project that includes our restaurant and lounge, fitness center and outdoor spaces, all of which we will debut early this summer.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your comments here. We truly value your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Island Hotel very soon.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Came for a 2 day stay for pool and R/R with my daughter for her birthday. At check-in the jack hammering in the lobby was so loud we couldn't even hear the desk clerk without shouting. Was given note saying restaurant, bar, pool and fitness center were closed for renovations. When I asked why I wasn't made aware of this, the clerk said it's on the website. I went back and can't find anything about the construction. Hammering starts at 7am, and the jack hammer lasted the entire day. The Fitness room is a converted hotel room and TV don't work on machines. My package breakfast was a buffet within another converted hotel room. Was able to use sister pool at Pelican Hill 15 minutes away which is lovely but convenient and additional expense for parking. Not at all a relaxing experience at hotel or a high end stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank OntheroadCa

Thank you for sharing your candid feedback about your recent visit to Island Hotel. After taking a moment to read through your comments, I want to sincerely apologize that your getaway was disrupted by our reinvestment project, especially knowing that you were joining us to celebrate a special occasion like your daughter’s birthday.

I am delighted to let you know that the main construction portion of our renovation has been completed at this time. We expect that our guests will hardly be impacted by the remainder of our work prior to opening Oak Room and Aqua Lounge, along with our new outdoor space and fitness center early this summer. However, I understand this does not change or resolve the disappointment you encountered during your stay, and I would like to take a moment to speak with you about your experience further. I will provide you with my contact details separately in a private message.

I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you soon and hope you will return this summer for the debut of our new restaurant and lounge.

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We stayed one night in a "Coastal View Corner Suite". The suite, room 910, was very spacious, cozy and clean but a little outdated. I kept thinking the living room area looked like my grandma's apartment in the 80's. The rooms are next to be refurbished. The bed was very comfortable. The tv was a little confusing. My disappointment was with the "coastal view".There were two balconies in the suite. The bigger balcony with the furniture overlooked the parking lot. The coast could only be seen when you leaned over the second smaller balcony. A true water view would have been nice sitting out on the balcony.

Room Tip: Make sure your room is in the front of the hotel for a true coastal view.
3  Thank Boo0123
Reviewed March 17, 2014

The property is beautiful, decor reminiscent of Hawaii island style. It's across a road from the high-end Fashion Island shopping mall and ideally situated for a holiday shopping trip or business at the many office towers nearby. However, the property is undergoing extensive renovation and as of this review there was no pool, no gym, and no restaurant except for a converted 2nd-floor suite offering buffet breakfast and lunch. You have to go 4 miles away to a co-owned resort to use a pool, or an apartment complex a block away. In addition, during our stay, loud continuous construction noise started at 8:30AM on a Monday. These issues are reflected in some rate concessions, but overall, I can't recommend this property until construction is done. When it's done, it will be great.

3  Thank mr_sunol
DieterHissin, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at Island Hotel. We value your comments and appreciate your kind words in regards to our property and ideal Newport Beach location.

I understand your concerns with the amenities during our reinvestment project and want to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We understand that our creative redevelopments mean there will be an unfortunate gap in availability for our on-site amenities, but truly look forward to the debut of Oak Room and Aqua Lounge and the new outdoor and lounge spaces when they come to life early this summer.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Island Hotel to showcase the exiting new developments we have coming to our property. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly if I can be any assistance for a future reservation.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

The rooms are always nice, the staff courteous and I really like this location when on business. It is easy to get to Costa Mesa and Irvine for meetings, but you can also see the Ocean from the rooms and there a number of good restaurants across the street to walk for dinner. Usually, I give high marks for the workout room (one of the attractions for me when traveling on biz) -- but be aware, it is currently under construction for a remodel.

Room Tip: If the workout room is important to you, make sure the remodel is done and it is open again.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank ThomasJ206
Reviewed March 4, 2014

You can just walk outside to the wonderful fashioned island shops and restaurants. Unfortunately they were renovating the restaurant and bar area which we had not been notified about and there was no reduction in the price of our stay The rooms are in need of a refurb also. They have not been changed since it was the four seasons hotel which was a very long tome ago. We stayed there over 10 years ago and the rooms have the same decor! We stayed for 3 nights then went away and came back for 5 nights. We didn't get any preferential treatment even though we had been there in November and returning again this November. Because of family commitments it suit us to stay there but I can't believe they didn't discount the rate with all the work going on.

Room Tip: High floor as you can't the drilling of the work going on as badly as you can on the lower floor...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank abelina
DieterHissin, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

As a return guest at Island Hotel, I am delighted to read that we have been your home-away-from-home while visiting Newport Beach, but I am disappointed that you were not satisfied with your overall experience during your recent visit.

We are currently working on our grand reinvestment project for our restaurant and lounge, with our new culinary destination set to open in just a few months. I want to apologize if you were inconvenienced during your stay and understand your concern as this information was not provided to you ahead of time. I can assure you I have followed up with our staff to reiterate the importance of communication with our guests during this period.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback here. We look forward to welcoming you back to Island Hotel in November so you and your family may enjoy the newest additions to our hotel. If I can assist you in any way prior to your arrival, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport Beach
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#10 of 18 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach

Been to Island Hotel Newport Beach? Share your experiences!