“Regal Service with happy smiles.”

Fashion Island Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

When you go anywhere near Newport Beach in sunny , warm, wonderful southern California make it a point to stay in an elegant and well managed hotel. The Island is nestled in a little Cove not far from the ocean. In fact from our dual patio room one could see the beautiful sunrise and sunsets in quite and luxury. The rooms are absolutely well thought out and comfortable.
The hotel is right next to one great shopping outlet that reminds one of an indoor outdoor shopping paradise. Clothing, food, jewelry and special attractions going all the time. Smack dab in the middle of the financial district.
The restaurants in the hotel are fabulous and the patio and pool area is so relaxing. I could keep going but see for yourself
It is a little Eden in a fantastic area of california. Convenient to everything. Congrats to the management for doing it so well.!!! Cannot wait until June when I go back.

• Stayed: August 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,058)

Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel for two days and extended. The hotel is tge best choice for Irvine/newport beach visitors.
Excellent helpful staff and Spacious clean rooms.
Walking distance to fashion island mall.
It is Very quite and it has free wifi.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Having stayed at the Island Hotel in the past when it was a member of The Leading Hotels of The World I had no problem booking the property for a one night stay since I was here for a work function with 50 hoteliers from around the world, upon check-in we were confronted with loud jackhammer noise, so loud i could not hear a colleague next to me speaking or the front desk clerk - I simply pointed to my phone suggesting we text each other. We were informed that this noise would be going on until 8pm this evening and unfortunately we had no time to go find another hotel as we have to be ready for a large client event (of which we will inform everyone of the issue), we asked for the highest floor of which there are 20 they put us on #12 leaving us to the sounds of this noise. With the room being booked only the night before and no information on the website of any construction we were offered a very nice $12.95 internet connection complimentary. The GM should be ashamed, for the lack of trans-parity of what was occurring in this property both with reservations and online - I suppose this is one of the reasons this property is no longer a member of The Leading Hotels of The World, they definitely do not meet the standards of 5 star or even a 2 star hotel. I suggest that you check out Pelican Hill, The Fairmont, Newport Beach Marriott, Hyatt Regency, or Balboa Bay Resort instead - I'm sure they value their guest more than Island House. I feel sorry for the staff that have to work for a management team such as this, if they are not up front with there guest I can only image how they treat there staff. Restaurants out of service now buffet dinning option only AND apparently this is a VERY LONG project!

Room Tip: Tip - don't stay!
3  Thank FLTravelScott
DieterHissin, General Manager at Fashion Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughtful comments here. I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for the disruption you experienced during your recent stay. I understand your disappointment, especially knowing you have enjoyed our property in the past.

As a Four Star, Five Diamond Hotel, I can assure you that our guests’ experience is our top priority. While we are eager to bring Newport Beach’s newest culinary destination to Island Hotel early this summer, we recognize there will be a transition period during this time. Occasionally when we miss the mark, we appreciate the honest feedback from loyal guests such as you that allow us to improve upon the matter at hand. We will continue to reiterate to our staff the importance of communication throughout our reinvestment project.

I would like to take a moment to discuss your experience further and will provide you with my contact details separately in a private message. I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you soon and hope you will return this summer for the debut of our new restaurant and lounge.

Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

I am sure the hotel will be very pleasant when the renovations are complete however the current work being undertaken is literally deafening. Jackhammers are at work from 11 am to 8 pm and I would advise families with young children to stay away to avoid hearing damage. There are also temporary eating facilities which are sub par. It would have been nice to be warned. Come back when the work is complete but not before!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank Mike C

Mike,

I want to thank you for taking a moment to post your feedback here. I apologize that your recent stay was impacted by our reinvestment project and understand your discontent with any noise generated during your visit. In the coming weeks, we expect potential disruptions from this project to largely subside, so we may avoid impacting our guests’ experience.

I appreciate your insight and assure you our management team will continue to emphasize the importance of communication between our staff and guests during this time. I hope you will return this summer to experience our new dining destination, and we look forward to another opportunity to serve you again soon.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

New mngr. went out of his way to accommodate my late check out: 2PM. Room service great.
Restaurant under renovation; unable to have guest for dinner.
The rooms are shabby and in serious need of updating however the staff tried to be helpful although they need training to bring this back to the former days of Four Seasons management.
My stay was quiet and comfortable but the bathroom amenities were very lacking.
I would not recommend a long stay when compared to the level of hotels in the area.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Sheri K
Reviewed January 23, 2014

I have stayed at this property before, and it is indeed lovely. Well appointed rooms, lovely public areas, great location, friendly efficient staff. However, I stayed at the property earlier this week and they are in the midst of a major renovation.....Bar closed, restaurant closed. They had a make shift bar in the lobby, and a buffet style cafe on the 2nd floor. I had a client meeting me for drinks and it was embarrasing to say the least. We wound up taking our drinks outside just to have a bit of privacy. The next morning, the sounds of construction were very disturbing and I had to apologize to folks on the other end of several business calls I made because they could hear the noise on the telephone. When I checked out, I let the front desk clerk know of my disappointed and asked why they weren't more transparent at their website about the renovation. I would have stayed elsewhere. Worse yet, she made no offer to adjust my room rate or take something off because of my experience, but simply told me the property will look "lovely" when the renovation is finished. Very, very poor impression. Not sure I will stay at this property again. My recommendation? hotels need to be renovated. I get that. Be upfront with that information, and offer some incentive for returning guests. For example, when a golf course has to overseed its fairways or do maintenance on their greens, they will discount their greens fees. This is not complicated, but duping guests and making no effort to address a disappointed guest results in reviews like these being written.

6  Thank MB350
DieterHissin, General Manager at Fashion Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your candid feedback here. Although I’m delighted to read that you enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms and public areas, I am disappointed that your recent visit did not meet your expectations, especially as a return guest to Island Hotel. I understand your concerns with the first floor reinvestment project and would like to apologize that your experience was impacted by our new venture.

Rest assured, I have taken this opportunity to address your concerns with our front office and management teams so we may improve our communication with guests during this time. We are confident that any potential disturbances from this project will be greatly diminished within the next week and look forward to introducing the new Oak Room and Aqua Lounge at Island Hotel to our guests early this summer.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to post your feedback here. Your valuable input is appreciated as we continuously strive to elevate our service levels throughout the hotel. I hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Apparently an old Four Seasons property no longer part of the chain. Nice rooms, good fitness center, pretty but small pool. Service very good. However, they are redoing their restaurants, so you are limited to room service, some buffet on a guest floor, or going offsite. The latter is probably the best option, since the Island Hotel is adjacent to Fashion Island, a very large shopping center which has options all the way from food court to fine dining.

2  Thank uwman