“Decent hotel, quiet neighborhood” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Island Hotel Newport Beach

Island Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Alexandria, Virginia
“Decent hotel, quiet neighborhood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The hotel was decent. We didn't obtain our requested room type even though we called ahead of time. Most of the bell stand staff were friendly of helpful. I still don't understand why guests can't park their own cars. Valet service is mandatory for $32 per night. Local amenities are somewhat limited to the shopping area close by.

Food & Beverage staff were very friendly with speedy service.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Hernan V

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Arabic first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night in room 723. Nothing was bad. But it was not good either. We were supposed to have champagne and chocolate strawberries when we arrived however it was not in our room and we had to inquire about it. The gym was the worst. Very old equipment. The rooms were nice but needed some renovations. Remote control for tv did not work. A disappointment at 339.00 for the night. Expected a little more.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
4 Thank ChandraThomas
Thrapston, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed here on Business for 2 nights. Impeccably clean, superb food, great facilities and convenient location for business or pleasure. The room was really well equipped for business or personal holidays, Stay here you will not regret it !

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We got married in Newport in Feb2012. We booked a suite in order to accommodate the bridesmaids and have my wife's friends get ready. From the moment we checked in we were treated with the upmost respect. We opened the door to a bottle of champagne and an assortment of chocolate strawberries.

We had our car checked in by the valet and whenever we needed it we would simply call and have the car ready by the time we made our way down. Some of my groomsmen booked a room ad well as had an amazing experience.

We started drinking at the bar at 10 am and was told by the bartender that he would save us a table for the after party. When the wedding was over we worked our way to the bar and had our after party. I love it there, our guest lived it there and I look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed February 2013
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

This was a family vacation with our son's family and grandchildren over Labor Day long weekend and we had two corner suites across the hall from each other. From our arrival and check in to check out we experienced excellent customer service. They even changed our entire bed out because we wanted a more firm mattress. The maid was excellent and cleaned our room to perfection every day;) The food was amazing, breakfast was included in our package and the quality was 5 star. We dined around the pool one evening and the pool side service is great. Loved the hotel location as we enjoyed easy access to the whole area.
We are planning to go back next year!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

I attended a conference in Irvine and organizers booked this hotel. Since my room was paid for I can't talk about its rates but it looked to me like a 4-5 star hotel. The lobby was spacious, the grounds were beautifully landscaped and the superior King room I stayed in was large and very comfortable. The bathroom was also large and its amenities were very good. I did not have to pay for Wi-Fi but it seems to have cost nearly $13 for a twenty four hour period. Parking fees also seemed quite high as I heard a lady complain about this at the desk. I did eat in the restaurant several times and the dinner entrees cost between $29-$40, fairly high for my budget. A glass of wine started at around $12. The menu included a lot of fish and some meat dishes but seemed fairly limited to me. Better priced snacks were available at the bar where I had an excellent hamburger.

The front desk and the serving staff were extremely friendly and very helpful and everything was spotlessly clean.

I did have about three free hours one day and spent it at the large and very well maintained pool. The lounge chairs had about three inches of padding on them and were hugely comfortable. Again, a bar also offered food snack for lunch and more reasonable prices.

On the whole, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there but would probably have not booked into it if I were on my own as it is beyond my budget. But I certainly recommend this hotel for anyone who can afford its prices.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank 2York
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

First, I should say that I travel a lot and generally have high expectations. The Island is above average and my complaints are really just pet peeves.

The hotel is nice and relatively upscale. It is very near a large shopping area, Bloomingdales, Nieman Marcus etc. Check-in was polite and effecient. My room type, a king suite, was unavailable so they gave me a free upgrade to a room with a better view, but this hotel is not located where any view could be considered spectacular.

My pet peeves:
First, there is no free bottled water in the room. Hampton Inn can pull it off but not a supposed luxury hotel??
Second, wi-fi is not included and valet is expensive.
My AC was on 67 for my entire stay, however the room never really got cold and always seemed humid. I did not notify the hotel of the issue to give them a chance to fix it.
I called concierge and the front desk three times during business hours for other issues but could not get anyone to answer. I finally had to walk downstairs and speak to them in person.
The in-room movies were not working.
My room was cleaned but the ironing board and iron were left out in different rooms. Maybe it was on purpose??

However, the valet guys were super helpful and friendly. The gym was also nice.

Mostly a nice hotel with nothing to complain about except small stuff, but nothing special that would make me want to rush to return.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Fairmont Newport Beach
Fairmont Newport Beach
#10 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 1,356 reviews

Been to Island Hotel Newport Beach? Share your experiences!