“A Very Good Hotel”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Toronto
“A Very Good Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

I attended a conference in Irvine and organizers booked this hotel. Since my room was paid for I can't talk about its rates but it looked to me like a 4-5 star hotel. The lobby was spacious, the grounds were beautifully landscaped and the superior King room I stayed in was large and very comfortable. The bathroom was also large and its amenities were very good. I did not have to pay for Wi-Fi but it seems to have cost nearly $13 for a twenty four hour period. Parking fees also seemed quite high as I heard a lady complain about this at the desk. I did eat in the restaurant several times and the dinner entrees cost between $29-$40, fairly high for my budget. A glass of wine started at around $12. The menu included a lot of fish and some meat dishes but seemed fairly limited to me. Better priced snacks were available at the bar where I had an excellent hamburger.

The front desk and the serving staff were extremely friendly and very helpful and everything was spotlessly clean.

I did have about three free hours one day and spent it at the large and very well maintained pool. The lounge chairs had about three inches of padding on them and were hugely comfortable. Again, a bar also offered food snack for lunch and more reasonable prices.

On the whole, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there but would probably have not booked into it if I were on my own as it is beyond my budget. But I certainly recommend this hotel for anyone who can afford its prices.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank 2York

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Arabic first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

First, I should say that I travel a lot and generally have high expectations. The Island is above average and my complaints are really just pet peeves.

The hotel is nice and relatively upscale. It is very near a large shopping area, Bloomingdales, Nieman Marcus etc. Check-in was polite and effecient. My room type, a king suite, was unavailable so they gave me a free upgrade to a room with a better view, but this hotel is not located where any view could be considered spectacular.

My pet peeves:
First, there is no free bottled water in the room. Hampton Inn can pull it off but not a supposed luxury hotel??
Second, wi-fi is not included and valet is expensive.
My AC was on 67 for my entire stay, however the room never really got cold and always seemed humid. I did not notify the hotel of the issue to give them a chance to fix it.
I called concierge and the front desk three times during business hours for other issues but could not get anyone to answer. I finally had to walk downstairs and speak to them in person.
The in-room movies were not working.
My room was cleaned but the ironing board and iron were left out in different rooms. Maybe it was on purpose??

However, the valet guys were super helpful and friendly. The gym was also nice.

Mostly a nice hotel with nothing to complain about except small stuff, but nothing special that would make me want to rush to return.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank isclloyd
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We've stayed at many hotels in the Newport Beach area and this was by far our best experience yet. We really have no where else to look now that we've discovered this great place. We look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

My family and I were at The Island for two nights in August. The lobby and pool area, along with the rooms and fitness area were fantastic. The restaurant needs some updating, but the Concierge made up for that when he helped me out with some dinner reservations, cancellations, and suggestions! There seems to be a lot of extra charges, and parking rates for a non beach front hotel were crazy. However, I would stay here again in a flash, and it was great to walk to Fashion Island Mall which is one of the nicest malls I've ever seen. The accomodations were beautiful, large and clean, and suited us well.

Room Tip: Ask about rooms with a tub/shower option instead. We had a lovely bathroom but it got messy after s...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed here for three nights over this past Labor Day weekend, and overall enjoyed our stay. The rooms are probably the hotel's strongest point. They were extremely large, very nicely decorated, and well-appointed with tasteful furnishings. The bathrooms were gigantic and plenty of countertop space for both my mother and I (note: that RARELY happens in hotels for us). There was no coffee maker in the room (typical at nicer hotels, but irritating nonetheless). The beds were extremely soft, which I loved, but my mother hated. The lobby area was nice as well and the bar/lounge area on Friday and Saturday nights was extremely popular. The pool was nice as well with a very tropical feel to it and a large fireplace and a DJ spinning tunes. (Not too relaxing because of the dozen or so unsupervised kids fighting each other with pool noodles in the hot tub, but that really isn't the hotels' job to police the kids - just kind of irritating).

The hotel is in a great location - walking distance to Fashion Island and a convenient drive to the airport, Anaheim, Laguna Beach, etc. Parking at over $30 was a bit shocking given that this hotel was, by no means, a Ritz. This is where the not-so-great part about the hotel came in. Sure, we were not paying Ritz prices to stay here, but the service was very "meh" and along the lines of a 2.5 or 3 star hotel. No one went out of their way to ask about your stay or blew either of us away with exceptional service, or even out of the ordinary. We had to ask for our mini bar to be restocked. No one at the pool area came to help us find chairs or put the covers on them for us. Getting bar service, at the pool, was also sort of a nuisance. They are waaaay understaffed, clearly.

Another issue I had was regarding some type of private event last night going on. While I realize that today is a holiday, I had a very early flight coming back to Chicago to prepare for an important event. This particular event hired some sort of singer/band that was EXTREMELY loud, even with our sound machine. We called down a little bit after 11:05, and was ensured by the front desk that the band was scheduled to stop playing at 11 and they were just "wrapping it up" . At 11:40, we called down again and they also ensured that it would end. A bit after midnight, it finally ended. I was just a little irritated that they would allow that loud of music to permeate into the guest rooms.

Despite the lackluster service and the one hour of sleep I missed out on last night, I enjoyed both the location and size of the rooms and would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank hollyx113
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Had a great two-night stay with a really nice two-room suite with a small balcony, exactly as we'd requested. All hotel services were prompt, professional, and fulfilled our every request. Spent the day lounging poolside which was a delight.

Its proximity to Fashion Island's restaurants and shops made it even better!

Can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Try the "executive suite".
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kirkkirlin
Redondo Beach, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Very nice hotel but nothing differentiates this from a 4 star hotel except maybe the fact that there is no coffee maker and parking is $31. On the other hand, we only paid $250/night so the value is appropriate. A couple of downers were that we were put in a handicap room and reception service was poor. Otherwise, everything was ok and I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple