“Everyone has a Bad Day”

Fashion Island Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This was our 6th stay at this hotel and we have never had anything short of a "Five" rating stay. Until this one. We booked a small suite because I had some calls to make in the East and I didn't want to wake my wife at 5 AM PDT. At about 8 local time some drilling sounds emanated from the floor above our 19th.

We assumed it would stop before we came back from a day of sightseeing, but the hotel called and said they needed to move us because of the noise. They did; to the 17th floor directly below our previous suite. The noise was so loud that when I called the front desk I just held the phone out so they could hear it. We were finally moved again, to a lesser suite on the other side of the hotel.

They reduced our nightly rate, but (1) someone should have known that work was going to be done before they put us in the suite; (2) the staff that moved our clothing while we were out should have informed management that the new room was unacceptable, and (3) we should have been moved to a higher-grade suite, not a lower-grade one.

Not sure if we'll give it another try next time we come to Newport Beach.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank RichGalen
TheIslandHotelNB, General Manager at Fashion Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Dear Loyal Guest:

Thank you so much for returning for your 6th visit and the great remarks you made concerning our consistent 5-star service levels.

The noise you encountered during your stay was indeed unfortunate; however, the root cause was due to an unexpected issue embedded in the concrete flooring of a room on the 20th floor. This was discovered as we were creating the new exclusive Island Club opening up in just 45 days.

Please accept my personal and professional apologies for this inconvenience; I am so sad to learn that you and your family were personally affected.

I am hopeful that you will continue to visit the hotel when your travels bring you back to Newport Beach. I would love to personally meet you, to have the opportunity to apologize in person and to show you our new Island Club.

My very best,

Donald Stamets

Write a ReviewReviews (1,069)

Reviewed July 31, 2013

This hotel is great. Sure it may not have the most up to date decor, but I describe it as a luxurious version of the golden girls, with yellows and peach tones and wicker furniture. The quality of the bed and pillows are amazing, and the bed linens are changed daily I beleive which I love and the towels and robes are always fluffy and soft, etc which is what you would expect in a higher end 5 star hotel. The rooms are always cleaned immaculately, especially since they allow dogs to stay there, you would never know it by the cleanliness and fresh smell of the rooms! The pool and hot tub are great, and so is the service out there.

Where I feel that they really hit the mark is in the service department. They always go above and beyond to make every guest feel like a VIP! Andy in particular at the Valet is great, always very helpful and just a friendly, funny nice guy!

Only downside would be some of the obnoxious pretentious posers who stay there/visit the pool there, but hey, that's just SoCal for you!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Reading these other reviews, I had to check we were talking about the same hotel. The hotel was pretty busy when I checked in, but goodness did it show. Disappointing room a poor view and a poorly maintained bathroom that flooded as i got ready for bed (no apology from the front desk!). Bar was so loud with dreadful attendees at some finance convention that i had to head out into the sterile wastelands of newport beach to find a beer. Maybe I was unlucky, but I won't take a risk on them again. The Marriott up the road gets my money next time.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
6  Thank Simon W
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Just stayed a couple days at The Island Hotel Newport Beach. What a great property! It is privately owned by the folks that also own the Pelican Bay property. It was like staying at a Ritz or Four Seasons. The staff was amazing and very attentive. They are polished professionals like you're accustomed to seeing at the 5 star big name hotels. The room was beautiful. It was big with a big bath, flat screen SONY with Bose surround sound. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud. These guys may have even figured out the secret behind soft hotel towels! Quite impressive. The pool and hottub are nothing short of spectacular.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the water. I think waking up and seeing the ocean is about as good as it gets. But...
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Nice staff, clean rooms, could use some minor updating but room had a nice balcony large enough to accommodate large table and two chairs, so dining outdoors was nice. Great view from SW corner rooms of ocean and Balboa. Staff was super nice and accommodating. Only criticism which doubt could be changed is that if you want to walk to Fashion Island for shopping or food, you have to walk from the back of hotel instead of from the front--they should make an entrance from pool area to the street for easier access.

Room Tip: NW or SW corners, 7th floor and up
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mark A
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed here for a wedding, the hotel was top-notch. The beds were the most comfortable I have slept on, amazing pillows, truly awful view of the road and car park though not that I cared much. Nice food and in an amazing location if you like to shop - right by Fashion Island, some of the best retail outlets there are and if you want to make a holiday out of buying nice things to wear ............ if you like that kind of thing that is.
Lots of people stay at the hotel for their beach holiday, beautiful people with tans to match - although weather was grey for once but I have to say this is so much a matter of taste. This is not the area to go hunting for culture - just good old fashioned me-time.
The bar was fantastic and the singing act stonkingly good.
I guess there are a lot of loyal customers here?
A low-risk extremely comfortable (but ugly) hotel.
Oh yes one annoyance, why do these hotels always add tax after you have been quoted? Why also do they charge for internet even though we are paying huge expense for the rooms in the first place?

Room Tip: Ask for a coastal view
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank VMAW
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Pretty much what you would expect from a former Four Seasons resort..terrific pool area and very comfortable rooms with a location in the heart of the best shopping in Newport Beach...try the Great Maple restaurant at the mall...very good..there are surprisingly few hotels of this calibre in the area but watch the price..if you can get a room under $200 per night, that's a bargain...

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple