“Great location”

Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Los Angeles, California
“Great location”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I've stayed at the Island hotel before and wrote a review that I took down after the manager explained to me a few things that I had an issue with, which were resolved.

The hotel itself is very nice and clean. Spacious lobby with a great pool/gym/firepit area that can be a nice place to unwind. The rooms are done up very well. Very comfortable. The bed was incredibly comfortable. Elegant bathrooms with plenty of space as well.

The cons...NO coffee makers in the room. There is only a select time in which you have the option to have coffee and teas in the lobby around breakfast time. Its just one of the little things that really gets you. Speaking of which, the price of Valet parking is high. $32 plus tip every time you get in or out (of course you tip...don't be one of those) really adds to the price of a nights stay. Since you have HAVE to have Valet and no self parking (if you want to park at the hotel) I think that price should be added to the price they show for the night!

Customer service was great at The Island. Very helpful and nice. No complaints about that whatsoever. All in all, it was a really nice hotel, with a decent view (if you get upgraded), really nice/elegant rooms/bathrooms, and a very comfy bed.

Due to the little things such as no coffee maker (it is a 4* hotel so amenities should be there) and high valet price, have made me stay at the Marriott just down the street when I am staying in the Newport area.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade. If they do, take it. It's worth it.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Zoso68

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Arabic first
Las Vegas
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our first time staying at the Island hotel in Newport Beach. Located in a great area with Fashion Island Mall across the street and a 10 minute drive to the beach. When we arrived at valet everyone was helpful and check in was a breeze. We took the elevator up to our room to get situated. The room is decorated really nice with top of the line furnishings, beds, bedding, and materials. Bed was really comfortable along with the down filled pillows. The bathroom was quite large with a long marble counter for your toiletries. The shower/tub combo had a glass door and I wished I had taken a picture of it here to post. Room was equipped with a Bose sound system that connected to the flat screen TV as well. Get a room overlooking the pool. We were in room 518 that faced the east and I would have preferred a pool view. We checked in early and hit the pool about 1pm. They have an air hockey table, a foos ball table, and a table tennis table for recreation. They had a dj and were serving a menu with happy hour food items and drinks. My fiancé ordered a glass of Chardonnay and I ordered a Grey Goose and soda. We got a mango smoothie for my daughter. We then ordered some calamari (good) and some chicken wings (yum, hard to go wrong). Wings were really crisp and went well with the goose :) We will be back; hopefully we find it for the same price or lower $180 per night (Sunday). Valet is expensive with in/out privileges at $34 night.

Room Tip: Get a room with a pool view. Pool area has a happy hour menu between 1-4 on Sunday. Rooms ending in...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Had a lovely corner suite on the 14th floor. Beautiful views. Lovely room. Great staff and location in Newport beach is next door to fashion island. Pool was crowded every day but we had a beach to go to so not an issue. Fun bar scene on Saturday night. Only complaint was carpet stains in our bedroom. Oh... And bring your own shampoo/conditioner. Theirs is really bad.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Katie s
TheIslandHotelNB, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Good Day Valued Customer:

Thank you for being our guest over our very busy 4th of July Weekend. Your comments regarding the staff, our location, the pool and the bar scene are greatly appreciated; be confident that these will be shared among the staff!!! We understand that you have many choices within our great city of Newport Beach and are honored that you have selected our location.

Please be aware that we are in the process of hand selecting new bathroom amenities and we will be prepared to launch them before the end of summer. Your feedback is a gift and because of caring customers like you, we continue on our journey towards perfection.

I look forward to meeting you in person upon your next trip to the west coast. Please reach out to me personally if I may be of any assistance.

My very best,

Donald Stamets
949-760-4950
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

The island hotel was a great find. Formerly a 4 season hotel the grounds are beautiful. The outdoor pool is a tropical oasis with lounge chairs and thick luxury pads. Drink service ,outdoor fireplace and outdoor dining make it a perfect setting. The rooms are equal to any 5 star hotel I've stayed out. The beds are a luxury with quality linen. The location of the hotel is not on the water but in the middle of fashion island mall. Don't let this keep you away. Dining and shopping are in walking distance. Beaches and balboa island are 2 minutes away. Make sure to try true food restaurant in fashion island. I have eaten there 3 times this trip. Market fresh food for people who appreciate healthy organic food!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank sandyfeet59
Melbourne, Florida
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Based on other reviews we were a little hesitant booking this hotel because of complaints of construction noise and the hotel needing to be updated. We booked a 5 night stay starting 6/25/13. When we arrived at the hotel in the evening from a flight from Florida the valet was immediately available to take our car. Checking in was a breeze and the registration staff was very friendly. We were taken to our executive suite on the 14th. floor. Upon entering the room I did notice the upholstery on the couch and chairs and also the carpet appeared to be rather dated. As mentioned by other reviewers the rooms do need new furniture and carpets. We visited the lounge and it was the same story for all the furniture and carpets. However, everything seemed to be very clean. The pool area was tropical and very clean and a pleasant place to spend the day. The cushions on the lounge chairs at the pool appeared to be a lot newer than all the cushions on the other chairs throughout the interior of the hotel.

The hotel staff were very pleasant to talk to and they were very efficient. When we were out at the pool I did not hear any construction noise. Apparently, the construction from the office building near by has been completed. We ate at the pool and in the lounge and the food was very good. This hotel, many years ago was managed by the Four Seasons and is now managed/owned by the Irvine Company. Hopefully, the general manager, Donald, will be able to convince someone at the Irvine Company that the hotel needs some tender loving care. I would not let the minor issue of dated upholstery keep you from booking The Island Hotel. It is just not a 5 star hotel at the moment in my opinion. I am giving it an overall 4 1/2 stars with 5 star service.

Room Tip: The higher floor corner executive suites have great views and are very bright.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank sasejm
Davidson, North Carolina
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband was at the hotel for a business conference and I was able to accompany him. We have been to this area many times and the last time I stayed at this property it was (I believe) The Four Seasons. Same lovely accommodation and excellent staff but a bit more casual than what I remember in the last. Nice change. I enjoyed the hotel pool and restaurant off of the lobby. The bell staff provided towels and a beach chair each day I wanted to drive out to the beach. Shopping in Fashion Island is always an option. A Whole Foods Market opened in Fashion Island while we were here and it is amazing. Great place for breakfast after a long morning walk! The men with my husband were pleased with the business meeting accommodations. Cocktail parties each evening out by the pool were beautifully catered by hotel staff. We had dinners outside the hotel on evenings when the men played golf at their sister hotel and golf course. I have stayed in many 5 star hotels with my husband when he was traveling on business and this one was right up there with the best. Excellent place to take a spouse or family to combine business and pleasure.

Room Tip: Larger rooms on the end have ocean views nice in the AM if you are an early riser and enjoy watching...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank JMac28046
Longview, Texas
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This property used to be a Four Seasons Hotel. I am not sure when it changed hands but it needs some refreshing up to demand the prices they ask.

Service is sometimes lackadaisical. When one of our associates ask for a coffee maker for the room, one was delivered. When my wife ask for one she was told they don't provide coffee makers and gave her a pot that heats water instead.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#11 of 17 in Newport Beach
Marriott's Newport Coast Villas
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach

Been to Island Hotel Newport Beach? Share your experiences!