“Poor service, bad sound-proof walls.”

Island Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Seattle, Washington
“Poor service, bad sound-proof walls.”
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Although the appearance of the hotel is phenomenal, service is terrible.
My cousin and I were expecting to spend couple wonderful nights at this over-rated hotel, but what we experienced was the opposite of what a lot of the reviews here say. But it might just be bad luck for both of us.

Upon our arrival, the check-in service was alright, but after that, a receptionist told us to wait for a bell boy to carry our luggages for us, but we waited for 10 minutes and saw no body show up to assist us, so we helped ourselves bring the luggages to our room.

Late at night, a group of people talked loudly on the hallway, and their irritating noise penetrated the wall of our room. I called the front desk to ask them send some one up to clear the bunch, but I guess that person came late, because by the time he/she came up, the bunch has already dismissed. Not long after they are gone, people staying in the room next door began having sex. My cousin and I could hear everything. My cousin got really pissed off and went to the front desk, but it was no help at all.

The next morning, we decided to check-out. The front desk lady noticed that we were checking out one day earlier than the day our reservation showed, and told us that there would be no refund, but did not even care to ask us why. So I hinted "Last night was pretty rough," it surprised me that she did not even ask why or apologize.

It was such a disappointing experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank KevinSss
TheIslandHotelNB, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Good Afternoon:

Thank you for your kind words about the appearance of our hotel, though I’m sorry to hear you were not as impressed with your stay.

We pride ourselves on providing the best experience for all our guests, and here it appears we fell short. If there is an upside, it is in the feedback you have provided us, which we take to heart. No matter how small, every encounter with a guest is a chance to deliver great service.

Your comments reinforce with us to always keep that top of mind. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you to hear more about your experience. Given the chance, we would love to show you how our hotel’s service can be as stunning as its appearance.

My very best,

Donald Stamets

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Arabic first
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The other option in Fashion Island is the Marriott, which is horrible. The Island Hotel was beautiful & understated overall, with well appointed rooms. The King deluxe room was very comfortable and a standard size with a smallish but nice bathroom. Service and restaurant were good & overall impression was pretty strong considering the room was about $230/night. It's really easy access to Balboa Island, Newport Beach, Corona del Mar & Laguna.

The only grip was a really busy valet & no self parking to bypass it. There was ALWAYS a line & long wait, whether you were arriving OR leaving. When we first pulled up for check in, the valet took 2 or 3 cars ahead of us, literally had them drive around us to cut in. When I asked why, he said they were already guests who had checked in. Really??? So the new guests (that take the exact same amount of time to valet for) are left standing there for 5 minutes?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank tkinc2win
TheIslandHotelNB, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Good afternoon Valued Guest:

We appreciate your business and are very grateful for your positive feedback concerning our hotel, the well appointed rooms, the location of our facility and the good service! The staff will be most excited to hear of your posting! I will make sure to pass it along to the entire team!

Also, thank you for sharing your experience with the Valet Team. Please accept my sincere apologies for the miscommunication of the situation. This specific scenario was addressed with the Valet Manager and Valet Staff; our newest member (still in training) is aware that a mistake was made. Please understand this is an exception and not the rule here at the hotel or with the valet team.

Please reach out to me directly at 949-760-4950 so I may assist you in securing your next reservation here at Island Hotel Newport Beach.

Thank you for helping us as we continue our pursuit of perfection!

Palm Springs, California
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This former Four Seasons is now locally managed by the large land-owner, The Irvine Company.

One has to assume that some added depth of proven hotel and food & beverage talent could only improve what are some "good bones."

Running an independent property, with no national reservation network/affiliation, is a true challenge. What also comes with higher end affiliations are standards and a certain vibe.

What's missing here are the little extras - turndown service, daily newspaper delivery, a better front desk greeting, updated restaurants (perhaps partnering with a known local chef or restaurant company), and refreshed room and lobby/lounge furniture.

Again, some great potential.

Room Tip: Water view rooms are very nice
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank TFKinPS
Good afternoon Valued Guest:

We appreciate your business and are very grateful for your feedback; we view it as a gift!

The hotel is undertaking some incredible enhancements inclusive of our Restaurant and Lobby Lounge. These plans are reflective of the Coastal Luxury Lifestyle enjoyed by all when visiting and or living in Newport Beach. I encourage you to call me directly at 949-760-7950 as I will be happy to share more with you in person!

We provide turndown service, newspapers, cribs, rollaway beds, etc upon request; I am sorry we did not ascertain this information prior to your arrival via our reservations or guest recognition process. Please be assured that we have added these preferences to your personal profile. We embrace “Guest Preferences” in hopes to create exceptional memories for every guest! Please forgive me if we fell short during your stay.

Thank you for helping us as we continue to pursuit perfection!

New York City
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at Island Hotel. However, everything about it, the lobby, the restaurant, the elevators, the rooms, the pool, and the gym need updating. It really felt like the glory days are gone for this hotel, but due to its location and nice service, it seems to thrive and survive! The pool area, the chairs, and particularly the gym equipment really need to be redone and replaced. I got a fabulous rate, though, so that was definitely a plus!
The service was nice, everyone was polite, some things took longer than they should have, room service was good, and my room was spacious and I had a fabulous view. So, don't get me wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, but giving an objective critique of the hotel, these are my comments. The rooms are nice and spacious, but could use updating.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank keentraveler30
TheIslandHotelNB, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Good Afternoon Valued Guest:

We so appreciate your business and are grateful for your positive feedback concerning the staff and their engagement levels with you and your family! I will be sure to pass it along to the entire hotel!

Regarding your other observations, this too is welcomed and Thank You for sharing!!

Please know that the replacement of all pool cushions was one of our highest priorities prior to the summer season commencing this Memorial Day Weekend. This process is in place and I am happy to report that this will be 100% complete by mid June.

We receive so many positive comments about our gym facility including things such as..."the location, the size and the availability of equipment". I am sorry our current repertoire of products did not meet your workout needs. Clearly today's experienced traveler has the gym on his/her schedule daily, which is why we have funding set aside to enhance this area within the year. Part of the plan is inclusively adding an additional 700 sq feet to the facility as pilates and yogo have become so popular. I hope you have an opportunity to experience the new facility upon your return.

In closing, please reach out to me directly at 949-760-4950 so I may assist you in securing your next reservation here at island Hotel Newport Beach. We have so many new and exciting projects in the pipeline; I am excited to share them with you personally via the telephone.

Thank you for helping us as we continue our pursuit of perfection!

Donald W. Stamets
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed at The Island Hotel for two nights. It is a lovely property with excellent service. The rooms were beautiful and tasteful. The restaurant and bar areas are both good and there is a beautiful workout room as well as pool area. The best thing is its proximity to anything in Newport Beach especially Fashion Island where there are quite a few restaurants as well as great shopping .It is a very good hotel for business as well.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nancy S
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I only stayed at The Island Hotel Newport Beach for one night, but wish it was longer. It was great. I was on a 3 week trip staying at 5 different hotels - many were very expensive. This was the best night of all. The rooms were beautiful, it was so clean and well maintained, and the staff was very helpful. The best part was how incredibly comfortable the beds were. I wish I could transport them back to my home! We also had room service breakfast (omelets and such) that was delicious. It was very pretty and was gourmet quality. I'd highly recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Maryland
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This hotel used to be a Four Seasons but more than the name has changed. Last year we had a very positive experience. This year was disappointing.
First for the positives: It is still a beautiful hotel. The room and the bathroom are huge. We had a nice view of the pool area although we booked a lower priced room. Employees are still very attentive and in general the service is outstanding.
But there were problems: the water from the faucet had a very bad smell; it got better and then worse. They could not explain it or fix it, although they did come to see.
Last year the dinner was terrific; a basket of different sorts of bread, and great food. This year the bread was nothing special and I was served an overcooked piece of halibut instead of the Chilean sea bass I ordered. I returned it and got the sea bass I wanted, which turned out to be very good. The lamb chops were overcooked as well.
They have done away with the gift shop, someone explained that it was not being profitable. Honestly; what else is going to be cut. Moreover that is not a wise move, considering that the nearest shop for essentials is the Whole Foods in the Mall across the street, a ten minute walk, where a tooth brush is not a particularly popular item. They offered to bring us a tooth brush and tooth paste, for $2, so we thanked them profusely and refused.
There is no coffe maker in the room. The TV controllers are weird: the volume has a mind of its own.
The area surrounding the hotel consists of large office buildings that close at 5 or so. The Mall across the street is eery at night and the walk to the hotel is not very pleasant. So if you want to go to a restaurant at the Mall, consider driving.
Finally, the bill. Although we reserved a package, the parking was added anyway; when I called they said they will look into it. There is nothing to look into. The charges were difficult to understand and I did not question the smaller ones. I am sure there is some sort of explanation. Included was a Continental breakfast as well or a credit. Do me a favor, get the Continental; if you don't you will be charged for every drop of coffee or juice without any warning.
In conclusion, I am sad. I really liked this hotel a lot, but it seems to have lost a season or two.
I gave it 3 stars for old times sake.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank MarylandDani
TheIslandHotelNB, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Repeat and Loyal Guest:

Thank you so much for coming back to the hotel and for your feedback. I will be sure to applaud the entire team for your generous comments about their service levels! I have an all staff meeting this week, the timing is perfect.

Regarding your comment about the water, I deeply apologize once again as I did during your stay! As promised, my diagnostic journey to find a root cause came up negative when researching both with the city of Newport Beach and our engineering department . This is not anything we have experienced before; I am so sorry you had to experience this in my hotel.

In addition, your recent post stated "they could not fix it" I would like to remind you of your email exchange with one of our front office supervisors that scribed "we had our act together" and to call off engineering as the issue was no longer a problem. Should this not have been the case (as stated in your post) we would have moved heaven and earth to correct the problem! I am sad to learn now that we disappointed you and your family.

The gift shop indeed was eliminated 3 years ago as we are located just minutes from one of the country’s best shopping experiences. Please understand this was a strategic business decision. You have my word that moving forward only amazing enhancements are coming to the hotel such as our new ballroom space, an exclusive club lounge and a new lounge and restaurant concept for the lobby. I look forward to sharing more details with you in person.

I have shared your comments with the chef and we are both disappointed that the cuisine was not a highlight during your stay. Our new menus have been well received from guests and the local community. Please know that this was an exception and not the rule. The warm artisan bread has been a big hit with our evening diners. If your preference is something additional, we are happy to provide you with an alternative during your next visit.

Lastly, your reservation was booked over the internet for a two night package that was restricted to Friday and Saturday nights only. Arriving on a Thursday skewed the package; hence not recognizing the package inclusions. Please accept my apologies for this confusion. I have asked our IT director to address the situation immediately as this should not be the responsibility of the customer to manage. On a positive note, I do see via your folio that the parking charges were credited back to your account.

I hope to have the opportunity to apologize and that your recent experience will not prevent you from visiting us again in the future. Please call me directly should you wish to continue our conversation or feel free to call upon my Executive Assistant who will be happy to assist with your reservation needs.

My very best,

The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#11 of 17 in Newport Beach
Marriott's Newport Coast Villas
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach

Been to Island Hotel Newport Beach? Share your experiences!