“Faded glory-great location, nice service, but whole property needs redo!”

Fashion Island Hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at Island Hotel. However, everything about it, the lobby, the restaurant, the elevators, the rooms, the pool, and the gym need updating. It really felt like the glory days are gone for this hotel, but due to its location and nice service, it seems to thrive and survive! The pool area, the chairs, and particularly the gym equipment really need to be redone and replaced. I got a fabulous rate, though, so that was definitely a plus!
The service was nice, everyone was polite, some things took longer than they should have, room service was good, and my room was spacious and I had a fabulous view. So, don't get me wrong. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay, but giving an objective critique of the hotel, these are my comments. The rooms are nice and spacious, but could use updating.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank keentraveler30
TheIslandHotelNB, General Manager at Fashion Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Good Afternoon Valued Guest:

We so appreciate your business and are grateful for your positive feedback concerning the staff and their engagement levels with you and your family! I will be sure to pass it along to the entire hotel!

Regarding your other observations, this too is welcomed and Thank You for sharing!!

Please know that the replacement of all pool cushions was one of our highest priorities prior to the summer season commencing this Memorial Day Weekend. This process is in place and I am happy to report that this will be 100% complete by mid June.

We receive so many positive comments about our gym facility including things such as..."the location, the size and the availability of equipment". I am sorry our current repertoire of products did not meet your workout needs. Clearly today's experienced traveler has the gym on his/her schedule daily, which is why we have funding set aside to enhance this area within the year. Part of the plan is inclusively adding an additional 700 sq feet to the facility as pilates and yogo have become so popular. I hope you have an opportunity to experience the new facility upon your return.

In closing, please reach out to me directly at 949-760-4950 so I may assist you in securing your next reservation here at island Hotel Newport Beach. We have so many new and exciting projects in the pipeline; I am excited to share them with you personally via the telephone.

Thank you for helping us as we continue our pursuit of perfection!

Donald W. Stamets

Write a ReviewReviews (1,048)

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We stayed at The Island Hotel for two nights. It is a lovely property with excellent service. The rooms were beautiful and tasteful. The restaurant and bar areas are both good and there is a beautiful workout room as well as pool area. The best thing is its proximity to anything in Newport Beach especially Fashion Island where there are quite a few restaurants as well as great shopping .It is a very good hotel for business as well.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nancy S
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I only stayed at The Island Hotel Newport Beach for one night, but wish it was longer. It was great. I was on a 3 week trip staying at 5 different hotels - many were very expensive. This was the best night of all. The rooms were beautiful, it was so clean and well maintained, and the staff was very helpful. The best part was how incredibly comfortable the beds were. I wish I could transport them back to my home! We also had room service breakfast (omelets and such) that was delicious. It was very pretty and was gourmet quality. I'd highly recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This hotel used to be a Four Seasons but more than the name has changed. Last year we had a very positive experience. This year was disappointing.
First for the positives: It is still a beautiful hotel. The room and the bathroom are huge. We had a nice view of the pool area although we booked a lower priced room. Employees are still very attentive and in general the service is outstanding.
But there were problems: the water from the faucet had a very bad smell; it got better and then worse. They could not explain it or fix it, although they did come to see.
Last year the dinner was terrific; a basket of different sorts of bread, and great food. This year the bread was nothing special and I was served an overcooked piece of halibut instead of the Chilean sea bass I ordered. I returned it and got the sea bass I wanted, which turned out to be very good. The lamb chops were overcooked as well.
They have done away with the gift shop, someone explained that it was not being profitable. Honestly; what else is going to be cut. Moreover that is not a wise move, considering that the nearest shop for essentials is the Whole Foods in the Mall across the street, a ten minute walk, where a tooth brush is not a particularly popular item. They offered to bring us a tooth brush and tooth paste, for $2, so we thanked them profusely and refused.
There is no coffe maker in the room. The TV controllers are weird: the volume has a mind of its own.
The area surrounding the hotel consists of large office buildings that close at 5 or so. The Mall across the street is eery at night and the walk to the hotel is not very pleasant. So if you want to go to a restaurant at the Mall, consider driving.
Finally, the bill. Although we reserved a package, the parking was added anyway; when I called they said they will look into it. There is nothing to look into. The charges were difficult to understand and I did not question the smaller ones. I am sure there is some sort of explanation. Included was a Continental breakfast as well or a credit. Do me a favor, get the Continental; if you don't you will be charged for every drop of coffee or juice without any warning.
In conclusion, I am sad. I really liked this hotel a lot, but it seems to have lost a season or two.
I gave it 3 stars for old times sake.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank MarylandDani
TheIslandHotelNB, General Manager at Fashion Island Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Dear Repeat and Loyal Guest:

Thank you so much for coming back to the hotel and for your feedback. I will be sure to applaud the entire team for your generous comments about their service levels! I have an all staff meeting this week, the timing is perfect.

Regarding your comment about the water, I deeply apologize once again as I did during your stay! As promised, my diagnostic journey to find a root cause came up negative when researching both with the city of Newport Beach and our engineering department . This is not anything we have experienced before; I am so sorry you had to experience this in my hotel.

In addition, your recent post stated "they could not fix it" I would like to remind you of your email exchange with one of our front office supervisors that scribed "we had our act together" and to call off engineering as the issue was no longer a problem. Should this not have been the case (as stated in your post) we would have moved heaven and earth to correct the problem! I am sad to learn now that we disappointed you and your family.

The gift shop indeed was eliminated 3 years ago as we are located just minutes from one of the country’s best shopping experiences. Please understand this was a strategic business decision. You have my word that moving forward only amazing enhancements are coming to the hotel such as our new ballroom space, an exclusive club lounge and a new lounge and restaurant concept for the lobby. I look forward to sharing more details with you in person.

I have shared your comments with the chef and we are both disappointed that the cuisine was not a highlight during your stay. Our new menus have been well received from guests and the local community. Please know that this was an exception and not the rule. The warm artisan bread has been a big hit with our evening diners. If your preference is something additional, we are happy to provide you with an alternative during your next visit.

Lastly, your reservation was booked over the internet for a two night package that was restricted to Friday and Saturday nights only. Arriving on a Thursday skewed the package; hence not recognizing the package inclusions. Please accept my apologies for this confusion. I have asked our IT director to address the situation immediately as this should not be the responsibility of the customer to manage. On a positive note, I do see via your folio that the parking charges were credited back to your account.

I hope to have the opportunity to apologize and that your recent experience will not prevent you from visiting us again in the future. Please call me directly should you wish to continue our conversation or feel free to call upon my Executive Assistant who will be happy to assist with your reservation needs.

My very best,

Donald Stamets

Reviewed May 11, 2013

When we travel first class perhaps we expect something different than most, and The Island Hotel NB delivers. Five Stars in a hotel (which The Island has earned from myself as well as prominent publications) should be subtle, non-intrusive, always on-the-spot when needed. The rooms should be tastefully but not overly decorated, well-appointed and well-kept but roomy. We stayed a week during early May 2013. Everything was perfect, right down to the pricing which included valet parking as well as an on-site credit for such things as eating or going to the spa. From the valets, to the front-desk greeting right through the maid-service and general staff attention every minute was relaxing, every request met promptly. Some highlights: valet service was prompt and courteous despite my having misplaced my ticket; the maids arranged our small messes in an organized but non-disruptive way; the concierge obtained perfect seats to an Angels game; our greeting included a written acknowledgement as return guests; a staff person offered to refill my coffee in the lobby. We know the General Manager reads this, so our only suggestions would be 1. keep up the excellent work and 2. consider making the lobby coffee stronger and the free internet access property-wide. "Information wants to be free" but more importantly to The Island Five Stars makes an internet charge look slightly beneath the rating. Internet charges are passe; best to increase a rate slightly and provide it than have this issue looming in a guest's mind. Exceptional stay regardless.

Room Tip: Check the website for packages that include valet parking as well as on-site service credits. Note...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had a two queen room on the fourth floor. The room was huge! Large sofa with two chairs and a desk. Plenty of extra room to walk around. Bathroom was separated by a small hall and it too was very large. Two sinks in one area and the toilet, bathtub and separate shower was in another room. Small balcony overlooking the pool.
The grounds were beautifully landscaped. Pool was large with plenty of cushioned lounge chairs. Nice spa too. Within walking distance to all of the restaurants and shops at the mall. Very friendly and helpful staff too!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband was there on a business trip and I was able to tour the area. The staff was welcoming and very helpful. The room was nice sized and comfortable and the bathroom spacious with extra counter space. If you enjoy shopping, it is a 5 minute walk from Fashion Island.
It was warm enough to enjoy the pool area. Again, staff were on hand to take care of your every need. We had a rental car and it was available within 5 minutes of our requesting it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business