“Great”

Island Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
“Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Excellent hotel.nice environment,good staff,clean big rooms.Beautiful location,great live music...food is good.......................................fashion island is close by ,easy walk from the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Arabic first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Island Hotel is an excellent choice in Newport Beach (and also happens to be one building away from my office). The property is lovely, and the staff was very helpful. I paid a negotiated corporate rate, which was quite a good value, but the rack rate seemed a little high.

I ate dinner in the restaurant - the food was uniformly good. I also had breakfast in the hotel the next morning; again, the food and service were excellent. The hotel provided free Wi-Fi in the room, although I don't know if that was promotional for the month or if that's extended to all guests, but I appreciated it.

The fitness center, which is out the back near the beautiful pool, was fully equipped with both aerobic equipment and weights and weight machines. There was only one upright stationary bike, but as I got to the gym at 5:30 a.m. it wasn't an issue.

When I drove away the valet offered me both directions and a bottle of water - I appreciated both of them. Overall the Island Hotel is a very nice alternative in Newport Beach (and will be even better when the Whole Foods opens down the block).

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Adam F
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

The hotel is living on its past History.
When under the Four Seasons flag it was just great....now its tired and just OK.
They have had cut backs and loss of management like you would not believe and that reflects everywhere..
Dinner used to be inspirational its now expensive and average.
Breakfast is good....
The rooms are tired and need to be refurbished.....and not worth the money they charge.
The pool is a Building site and its impossible to sit out.....(they never tell you)....its dirty and all the furniture is tired and soiled.
The gym is like exercising in the middle of a glass box looked on by every builder in town.....and the equipment has been there at least 10 years.
Its just a shame that such a perfect located hotel that was great is spoiled by lack of capitol investment and managers who just want to take your cash....at $400 a night they still charge for internet.
Next time unless they have spend decent cash on the property we'll look else where.
What a pity.

Room Tip: dont pay the price they ask.....and dont pay for internet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Readytoburst
TheIslandHotelNB, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Good day Valued Guest:

I sincerely apologize for the circumstances you encountered that fell short of your expectations of Island Hotel - Newport Beach. I have reviewed your comments personally and with our management team; together we will embark on a diagnostic journey to search for solutions in order to regain your loyalty.

I am confident in reporting that we are not the highest price point within our competitive set for the internet; however, have made it a known preference within your guest profile so this may be included within your room rate for future visits.

Once again, your valuable feedback is looked upon as a gift and we thank you for your thoughts. I personally invite you to contact me directly as I would love to learn of the specifics tied to some of your comments.

Warmly,

Donald Stamets
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

A truly amazing hotel with first-class service. Every staff member was friendly, helpful, and efficient. We were especially impressed with Curtis, the valet attendant and Sal, the bellman. They are both the nicest guys who went out of their way to help us with our various requests. The rooms were spectacular. The queen executive room was large and spacious with the most comfortable beds and a separate sitting area. The pool area was a gorgeous tropical paradise with a fire pit, large hot tub and a perfectly heated pool. We live close to this hotel, but we felt like we had escaped to another island.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Franklin, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Last weekend I held some business meetings at the Island Hotel. The staff was very helpful. The food was delicious. I felt they went out of their way to see that all of our needs were met. The food might be a bit pricey but after all, this is Orange County. I thought the hotel looked familiar and then I realized that it used to be the Four Seasons. We had held some business meetings there several years ago!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Camelback042350
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

My wife & I had a choice of many hotels/resorts in which to stay this past May while on a business trip to Orange County & Los Angeles. We opted to stay at The Island Hotel where we were made to feel very much at home. Great location, exemplary service; the entire staff was ever so accommodating! Donald, the GM was absolutely wonderful; it was a pleasure to have met and gotten to know him. We will definitely return on out next trip in the fall.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
los angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

We went for a weekend getaway from L.A. I've never been to Balboa Island so thought it would be fun. We brought our dog who was treated very well. The hotel I had read, used to be a Four Seasons so for the price ($200 - $250) that seemed like a good deal. The room was clean and bright even though we didn't have much of a view. The hotel is about a mile + away from the beach and right across the street from Fashion Island which has everything you need. Cab ride to and from beach was around $12 each way which saved us the hassle of parking and waiting for the ferry.
We didn't eat at the restaurants because there are great eateries at Fashion Island.
All the other resorts or upscale hotels in the Newport Beach area are very expensive even compared to L.A. standards. The only complaint I had was waiting too long to speak to the concierge. I was very satisfied with this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple