“Show but little substance”

Island Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Grand Isle, Vermont
“Show but little substance”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The Islands positions itself as a top flight hotel. But the attention to detail that makes the experience of a top hotel exceptional is lacking. It is pleasant enough and the staff is friendly. But given all the off details it would not rank anywhere near the top hotels in my experience. Some examples:

-The “balcony” is about 2 ft. wide. Ours provided a view of the roof of part of the hotel and of the Fashion Island parking lot, along with lots of AC and construction noise. No chair in the room will fit on the balcony so I’m not sure its purpose.

-The chairs don’t match the height of the desk making it very uncomfortable for someone of average male height to work there. The computer and printer for boarding passes is the most uncomfortable such arrangement I’ve ever experienced.

-The fridge is crammed with bottles for sale at prices that are outrageous even by minibar standards. At the bar a glass of wine costs more than the hotel is paying for the bottle but the selection is decent. No vending or ice machines, so to get ice you have to tip room service for delivery. No coffee in the lobby after about 10 a.m. No kiosk for incidentals.

-Mandatory valet parking is gouging when the lot is attached to the hotel, especially in what must be the most car-centric place in the U.S. They repeatedly urged me to call down to let them know I needed my car 10 minutes in advance. Not once in 4 tries was there any sign that the call produced any action—only when I showed up did anyone pull out the keys and get the car. Having a dealership owned Rolls Royces and Ferraris parked near the front door is just pretentious.

-Relatively slow internet access was complementary but that may have been because of the group I was with.

-The hotel sits next to the Fashion Island mega-mall in the upscale office building and shopping sprawl of this part of Orange County. Unless you like shopping at Neimann Marcus and the like, the only thing interesting in walking distance is the Orange County Art Museum.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank elm4154
TheIslandHotelNB, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
I sincerely apologize for the circumstances you encountered that fell short of your expectations of Island Hotel - Newport Beach. I have reviewed your posting with our management team and will begin to search for solutions in order to regain your loyalty.

Please allow me to share with you that our hotel does offer furnished balconies in many of our suites and have noted this preference in your account so we may anticipate your needs on a return visit to southern California.

Regarding the pricing on both the valet parking and mini bar; our team does a bi-annual pricing survey so we may offer the most competitive options to our guests. I am confident in reporting that we are not the highest price point within our competitive set. If you and your guests have a special need or favorite beverage, I am happy to have in placed in your room as my gift upon your return.

Also, our concierge team would be happy to help with points of interest within walking distance, including unique shops and restaurants at Fashion Island, the Newport Beach Back Bay nature reserve, beautiful Newport Harbor or the charming beach town of Corona del Mar.

Once again, your valuable feedback is looked upon as a gift and we thank you for your thoughts. We look forward to your group returning next August and if I may be of any assistance, I invite you to contact me directly.

Donald Stamets

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Arabic first
Windermere, Florida
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Thank you ! We have travel and stay at many 5star hotel, we was very impress with the island hotel service, the General Manager Donald he is hand on along with his staff is amazing. Great leadership, they welcome you at the front door with a cheerful and polite. Love the fire place at the pool was great for a cocktail.
Thank you very much to all the staff and GM:)

Room Tip: Best location
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised at the attention to details that the hotel staff and Mr. Donald Stamas the GM has for each guests at the hotel. It was refreshing and motivating to see the GM of the hotel interacting with the guests and staff each day I was there. As a bussiness woman I always compare how business are run and I have to say that the Island Hotel it is one of the kind; perhaps for the great leadership that the Hotel has. I will book a vacation trip next ; althought the staff made this business trip like a vacation to me. Thank You very much to all the staff and GM.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Thanks to all the great staff at the Island Hotel. From their professional and polite front desk.( Estrella checked us in ) to Donald the General Manager who was greeted us at the front door. Very cool to see a General Manager as a very polite and welcoming door man.
Im sure he has a lot on his plate dealing with this huge hotel to have the time to greet his guests at the lobby door.

Thanks again for making us stay welcome.
Rooms were very clean and they have a nice Bose system for TV.
Great stay. No regrets.
Also next to Fashion Island mall and room had a view of the ocean.
It's not beach front but you can see the water.

• Stayed July 2012
Paris
Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

The island is a pure business hotel located in a business area near county airport - i was upgraded to a very pleasant executive suite with a view on the pool and mall. If business takes you too newport beach this hotel is a great choice. I wouldn't recommend for vacation though as it is far from anything of interest and not even a walking distance to the beach.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Nick of Paris
Reviewed July 28, 2012

This is not a resort hotel; it is located within the large shopping mall known as Fashion Island. So, no marina, no golf course, etc. But it IS close to all the shops and restaurants in the mall, and just a few minutes from downtown Newport Beach, Balboa Island, etc. We live in the Washington DC area, but come here often to visit our children & grand children. Our regular hotel, the Balboa Bay Club was sold out for this weekend so we decided to take a chance on the Island Hotel.

We will stay here from now on. From the moment we drove up to the front door the staff has been courteous, effience, and friendly. I was told the house as "96% sold out and still selling" but there was no sense of being rushed at check-in. Our luggage was delivered in just a few minutes. The only faster service for room service coffee I've experienced was the hall porter at Claridge's in London.

The room rate is reasonable and breakfast in the dining room was a fair price for a high-end hotel.

Room Tip: We upgraded to a suite and found it a wonderful value.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Centennial, Colorado, United States
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Low points: Deafening construction; no sundries store for those items you always forget; no inroom coffee or tea (almost a sin); no coffee shop; very overpriced minibar; internet service kept crashing;
High points: Valet service was excellent but expensive; housekeeping friendly and adaptable; pool area lovely and comfortable; tasty apples available. We travel frequently and stay in many upscale hotels, but this one lacks a lot. Will not stay here again and will not recommend it.

Room Tip: Do not stay until construction is complete!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Cologal78
TheIslandHotelNB, General Manager at Island Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Good Day Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to author both your frustrations and high points concerning The Island Hotel. Part of our mission statement is to ensure each guest has a memorable experience and we clearly fell short of your and my expectations. Please accept my deepest apology!

Regarding some of your statements, allow me to bring to your attention the following.

#1 - In lieu of a sundry shop, the front desk offers over 45 items; most of them are the little items that a traveler frequently forgets.
#2 - We provide complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby every morning from 6am - 9am and for those guests that would prefer to brew their own, a coffee maker can be delivered to your room in just minutes; this too is complimentary.
#3 - The Palm Terrace restaurant, located in the lobby is open daily at 6:30am and I can tell you from personal experience, has amazing coffee, offers a fantastic breakfast menu, a very creative lunch menu and a savory and delicious dinner menu. In addition the Lounge opens at 12pm on the weekends and offers a "small bites" concept that has been well received from our guests and the local community.
#4 - The building next door is indeed under construction and will be completed within a few short weeks.

Thank you for the compliments regarding our valet and housekeeping teams, I will be sure to applaud them for their efforts and results!

In closing, I do hope to welcome you back in the hotel as a guest so I have the ability to apologize in person and to ensure you experience the Island as we both expect. please call me personally if I can be of any further assistance (949) 760-4950!

Warmly,

The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
#9 of 17 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
#1 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Island Hotel Newport Beach? Share your experiences!